View Full Version : grass killers and brassicas

06-07-2006, 12:27 AM
I am pretty sure i am safe using Poast on seedling brassicas, just wana make sure. I have had enough problems with herbicides this year. Also, spray now for fall plantings or wait? im new to the fall planting game.

06-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Poast will not harm your brassicas (I've never sprayed seedlings though)--never too early to start spraying for a fall planting.

06-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I have never tried it but I had someone tell me quite ademantly that it will kill the brassicas. Hopefully someone with first hand experience can weigh in on the subject.

06-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Poast will kill grasses not broadleafs so it won't harm the brassicas. Poast2 however can indeed kill some broadleafs.

06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
I looked all over today for Poast. I had no luck and didnt want to spend the $$235 a gal for select at our co-op. This is my first field of brassicas alone. I am wondering if the brassicas will out grow the grass and shade it out? Also I found a product for lawns that is for grassy weeds. It says it kills crab grass and others but wont hurt lawn grasses. It says nothing about broadleafs. It is only about $10 for a pint so I was wondering if it would work or not. I did pick up some Arrest though. Eventhough I know the W.I. price is high. Sugguestions?

06-07-2006, 08:26 PM

06-07-2006, 08:29 PM
the crabgrass killer was probably MSMA--stay away. There are a few grass selective herbicides at wal-mart. They are used to control grasses in flower gardens. You could probably pick up a small bottle. I bet Home Depot and Lowes would also have it in their garden section.

06-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Never let me down banc...thank you. I was looking for some kind of chart like that. Know any places to find Poast cheap?

06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I've come learn, volume is about the only thing that makes some of this stuff cheap. I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor who supplies FL/GA/AL with farm supplies. They buy 1000s of gals of Gly and Poast , Honcho Plus etc.... at prices that would make you sick. 40-50% of the norm. Problem is they are in 30 gal drums. I'll probably get a 30 gal drum of gly eventually but don't think I'd ever use 30 gal of Poast.

Not aware of any deals on Poast anywhere but will keep an eye out.

06-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks I appreciate it. Volume is right. I was shocked to hear a gal of select for $230. That makes buying a pint of Arrest for $25 seem pretty good to me. That is 70 bucks cheaper per gal. And I thought W.I. cranked up the price of the herbicide?