View Full Version : Overseeding Clover
09-23-2010, 06:31 AM
I have an existing clover plot that has had a lot of weeds in this year. I want to thicken the plot up with clover. Should I overseed now or wait and frost seed in late winter/early spring? I thought it might help get established if I did it now, but not sure? We've been getting good rain and the temps will be in the 70's for at least the next 10 days. (Suppose to be 88 tomorrow!)
09-23-2010, 09:05 AM
The weeds will be there next spring. Right now with good soil moisture and cool nights, the white clovers are in heaven. This might be a good oportunity to put the hurt on the weeds so they are dead come spring. Either with a pint per acre of 2,4-D, or 1/2 qt per acre of roundup(glyphosate). This may injure the clover a bit, but clover is very tough to kill. Come early spring you can frost seed more clover into the plot to "thicken" it up. ;)
09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
I am in a similar situation on a few of my clover plots. Here is my status/plan for 4 plots...
1. (About 1/3 acre in size, good to very good quality clover in this area with moderate, mostly grasses, competition emerging.) I used up the last of some Select that I had to throttle the oncoming grasses in this plot. (No gly, just Select.) I have not yet been back to see how it looks and that was about 1-1/2 weeks ago now. I suspect that clover is looking fine though from previous experiences. I was tentatively planning to boost this plot via overseeding this winter, but maybe I should overseed it now?
2. (About 1/6 acre in size, good to very good quality clover in this area over the past several years, but fairly decent competition developing in the form of "you name it" plants growing. Not just grasses, but rhubarb, unidentifiables, etc.) I used gly, no Select, to nuke this field with the thought that the clover will be hurt some, but will survive and hopefully I will knock the other plants out and then build the "clover quotient" back up via overseeding.
3. (About 1/2 acre in size, fair to good clover this area over the past several years, but more competition developing in the form of miscellaneous plants and grasses.) I have just kept this one somewhat in check via mowing to control other growth. I do plan to overseed it too to boost the "clover quotient".
4. (About 1 acre in size, fair to good clover this area over the past several years, but fairly decent competition developing in the form of "you name it" plants growing.) I used gly, no Select, to nuke this field with the thought that the clover will be hurt some, but will survive and hopefully I will knock the other plants out and then build the "clover quotient" back up via overseeding.
Given these scenarios, am I better off overseeding clover this fall yet or should I wait until this winter?
09-23-2010, 01:46 PM
If your average first frost date is > 3 weeks away, then overseed the plot with cereal rye, more clover seed, P+K, and then mow. A thrifty and dense stand of rye+clover established in fall is a formidable opponet for weeds in the spring normally requiring little management on your part.
Grassey weeds can be controlled easily with clethodim next spring about 2 weeks after clipping rye. Periodic mowing during summer may suffice to control some broadleaf weeds. Just be carefull not to overmow the sward or suppressed weeds may find an entry point.
Your average first frost date can be found here in the almanac link:
09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I do not want to take over this thread, but I have a question similar to this.
I have an area that is has never been planted. Nothing but native grass and weeds growing in it now. Our tractor is in the shop, so I was wondering if it would be a mistake to cut the grass down to the ground one weekend, then go back a week later and broadcast some clover over that plot without tilling the ground?
I thought that maybe the clover would have time to take hold of the area since the grass and weeds will die off over the fall and winter. Come spring, I would spray the grass and weeds to keep them from taking over.
vBulletin v3.6.0, Copyright ©2000-2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.