View Full Version : Tips on broadcasting into standing sorghum/soybeans

07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I've got maybe 10 acres of sorghum/forage soybeans mixed. Most of it is reasonably thick, with some patches that have some bare dirt between.

I'd like to broadcast a Brassica / Groundhog Forage Radish / Clover / Winter Rye mix.

A few questions.
1. How do I broadcast without flattening the sorghum - I really like the height for securitiy cover. I'm assuming I have to use a hand spreader, but wondering if there are any other tricks?
2. I am hoping to broadcast right before a rain, with no disking involved - with this mix, will that work?
3. Any thoughts on a mix rate?

07-27-2010, 12:55 PM
How tall is your Sorghum and soybeans?

I would personally have a spreader mounted at a height above the tallest existing forage (either four wheeler or tractor mounted) and just run. Emphasis should be placed on using a spreader that has a good broadcast distance. For instance, my Herd Seeder, with which small seed can easily be broadcast 30 plus ft. That would minimize the amount of forage you lay down.

07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Something else to consider ...... I have standing corn that I plan to create trails in, 10-12 feet wide or so. I'll go in and spray for weeds, wait a couple of weeks, then overseed with brassica's & fertilizer.