View Full Version : pixie crunch apple tree??????

07-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Does anyone have any info on this type of apple tree. I was reading up on it and apparently it is rated better taste wise over honeycrisp. What type of disease resistance does it have??????

07-28-2008, 08:23 AM
I do not have any, but I do have some relative CO-OP apples. CO-OP 33 was recently named pixie crunch, and is a small, disease resistant apple, that ripens in September.

I had some crimsoncrisp, it's sister, ordered, but Adam's County did not have enough and sent me a refund. I'm on the list for crimson crisp next year.

Saying it is better tasting than honeycrisp is a tall order. Honeycrisp is a superb apple.

Pixie crunch does not have this kind of following yet. I would doubt that it is a better tasting apple.

It's not a bad idea to try though, and i would encourage you to try a few trees and see how they are.

07-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks Ben,

I will probably end up ordering all three, honeycrisp, pixie crunch and the crimson crisp just to be sure. :D

07-28-2008, 09:02 PM

I have prima, Williams pride, priscilla, redfree, pristine and a couple of goldrush.

Goldrush does not quite ripen in my climate, however, it hold apples into February.

Look at the maturity chart attached.

This chart is good, because it is fairly accurate across the zones. For instance, in my zone, 4/5, I should not grow an apple that ripens more that 2.5 weeks after delicious, since a heavy frost is imminent.

for folks like Brushpile in Missouri, where the season is longer, they can grow apples +2.5 and greater.

In a deer orchard, I think it is good to have a few early dropping to get the deer in the orchard early, then a moderate amount of dropping in mid season (late sept) and then most dropping in late October early november, and a few that hold on well into december and later.

By November the orchard will look like a petting zoo.

A good deer orchard with just disease resistant PRI apples. Deer visit mid August through January.

2 Williams pride
2 Priscilla
2 prima
2 pristine
2 pixie crunch
2 sir prize
2 sundance
8 Enterprise
4 primiera
4 goldrush