Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Never Gonna Take a Walk without it

I never have really enough time to do what I need to do on our place. Alway struggling to see the property and get work done at the same time. I am now, from here on out, going to turn my recreational walks on the propert into work walks. I will be carrying some tordon RTU and a modified hatchet with me at all times now. You never know if you are going to uncover a honey locust that needs to die, or see an area you need to release some of the native shrubs. We ended up treating shingle oaks, elms, hackberry, and honey locusts on the walk.

Here's a little area I did this past weekend and some of the other pictures along the way. The snow had been on for less than 24 hours when these pictures were taken. All in all, saw quite abit of sign on the property. I'm sure the sheds were buried in the white stuff.

The killing of some shingle oaks.

Last edited by HabitatMD : 02-20-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:36 PM

Found quite a few beds.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Picture down the no longer maintained county road.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 PM

Couple deer in the pipeline easement on the neighbors place. I know, it is a real crappy picture.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Perhaps someone can explain this area to me. We have been working real hard on fescue eradication and this is an area we did not get to. This area has a spring that comes out that is pretty near our creek. The deer were eating the areas of fescue right next to the running water of the spring. We have been iced over for quite a while and have been getting some decent snows as well. I'm guessing the fescue was the only green browse that were remotely available in the area. Our ww plots have been iced over for over a month.

Last edited by HabitatMD : 02-20-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:28 PM

Question why the oaks

HabitatMD,
I'll show my ignorance here, but why would you kill the shingle oaks? I have very few on my property and have never given any thought to them one way or the other. Are they nonproductive or just in the way?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:50 PM

The problem with shingle oaks, at least on our place, is that they are regenerating quite quickly in some areas. We are trying to favor other oaks such as post, bur, white, chinkapin, and Northern Reds. Shingle oaks still produce acorns about like any other oak and add to the oak diversity of the property. The problem comes in, and this is with any plant community, when you have a monoculture of any plant type.

Also, from a timber value perspective, although not high on the priority list, typically the reds/whites are more valuble than the shingles. I think USFW said in a previous post, that the wood is not necessarily less asthetically pleasing, just tougher to find a good, straight trunk on shingles.

If shingle oaks was all I had, then I would treat them right while I got other varieties started. But we have a great diversity of other oak (and even hickory) species we would rather have around.

I look at our place as an opportunity cost, what do we give up by having that tree or that grove of trees there. Could there be a blackberry or dogwood thicket there instead?

Shingle oaks are just low on the todempole in my book, that's all. And just so happens most are located in our edge community.

Now I just need to get some pin oak acorns from the front yard and start seeding the farm. I would like to have another member of the Reds on our place.

Last edited by HabitatMD : 02-20-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 PM

I understand what your saying reguarding monocultures, it seems like hard maples are overtaking the missouri river bluff country where I live. I still have quite alot of various red oaks but not to many white oak varieties. If I would do a hack & squirt on the maples would the oaks regenerate on thier own? Is there any value to wildlife from hard maples? I know I need to do something, just not sure what. Thanks Jack.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:54 PM

I think I had a thread a while back on Sugar (ie hard) maples. We are declaring war on those guys as well.

Let me see if I can dig it up.

Here's one.
http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7519
and another
http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6966

Sugar maples, IMO, are much more wildlife friendly when they are dead or hinge cut. Deer love browsing them.

Last edited by HabitatMD : 02-20-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Thanks for the info

From reading the prior posts looks like I need to get busy as soon as the heavy sap flow stops. I cut one last weekend to get to some firewood and the sap was already starting to rise. Thanks for your input, I appreciate all ideas. P.S. great pictures in your original post.