Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM

Default Sulfur and selenium blocks

was at the TSC today and i see they now have blocks with selenium and sulfur. has anybody used them at their mineral sites? i always just use the trace mineral block they have and have had good luck with it. just looking for opinions on these 2, also normally buy one white block a year and put at same spot, just thought may get these and have a little bit of it all or would it do harm? i've tried their range mineral in the bag one time and that was the worst mistake i made deer just quit and i finally had to rake it all out.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM
QDMA Member

I wonder if those are geared toward a shortfall in a soil test?
I recall one of our fields is low
Old 01-17-2014, 02:50 PM
QDMA Member

Selenium can be toxic to deer, sheep, and goats. I think I would skip that one.

Playground 2014- Land Tour

2014 Food Plots
Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3003580/

Looks like you have to try to get poisoned from it, as it's an essential mineral in their diet.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:32 AM

I am speaking just from a cattle viewpoint and my experiences in Mn. and Wis.

Selenium can be toxic and a few years ago the amount allowed in feed for cattle was reduced by the government. Central Minnesota is about on a line where there is plenty of selenium in soils to the west and a shortage in soils to the east. Feed grown on soils with plenty of selenium tend to have plenty of selenium in them, and also vice versa. Some plants can concentrate selenium to high levels at certain growth stages.

It appears to me that our lighter soils tend to be lower selenium, but that might not hold true in all areas.

sulfur I do not know about. However many of our light soils benefit from sulfur when growing alfalfa or clover. perhaps some of the soils people can chime in.

I always favor correcting the soil and letting nature take it's course with wild deer. I no longer use any mineral and just accept what I've got.

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM

Sulfur is becoming a limiting mineral. We fertilize with it yearly on our hay fields and I believe is in the fertilize we put on the corn ground too. I'd have to double check. Soil guy was explaining to me it was becoming more and more necissary to use it as acid rain becomes less and less of a problem. Apparently all that dirty coal helped fertilize the fields around here before they started cleaning up the exhaust with scrubbers. We are light soil on our farm mind you, like beach sand almost, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about the whole area which would include lots of clay soil as well.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster27012 View Post
was at the TSC today and i see they now have blocks with selenium and sulfur. has anybody used them at their mineral sites? i always just use the trace mineral block they have and have had good luck with it. just looking for opinions on these 2, also normally buy one white block a year and put at same spot, just thought may get these and have a little bit of it all or would it do harm? i've tried their range mineral in the bag one time and that was the worst mistake i made deer just quit and i finally had to rake it all out.

My experience has been that deer use the mineral sites more during the summertime and during slightly wet periods. If you put that range mineral out at the time when the sites usually go dead, it may not have been the cause of them not using it as much. I put a trace block out last year and haven't checked on the site since. Guess I'll do that today!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:25 PM

I've had the selenium mineral blocks out for 3 years now. They're all gone (6 of them). I'm only replenishing 2 sites now, but I'm not sure what I'll be using when I buy more.

I tried the yellow one as well when I put the first selenium one out my first winter, and found they preferred the selenium to it so that's what I went with for the other sites.

Does and Bucks hit them all summer long.