Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
Learned a few things more about riding UTV's on Minnesota trails. Sign at trail head states: Class I and II machines, 800cc max engine and 1500# max dry weight. Phew! Honda Pioneer is 680 cc and 1430#.

Changes in laws have occurred over time. Something to consider. I do see a number of brands that would exceed these values (Polaris Ranger 900 and JD Gator 825, for example, but there are more). Could be a problem for use the way I intend.

Hmmm......size does matter!

The Kawasaki Teryx4 is under 800cc but exceeds the 1500# dry weight.

Juneau County, Wisconsin
WI DNR Central Forest Zone
USDA Zone 4b
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

Location: Crow Wing County, North Central Minnesota (USDA zone 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
The Kawasaki Teryx4 is under 800cc but exceeds the 1500# dry weight.

Yep....exactly. The other thing I learnt is that a few machines are getting quite wide....and others quite long. i.e. the new three seat wide Yamaha.

Trailers are normally a few inches wider than the "foot" widths (4',5', 6'). A five foot trailer is usually 62" wide, etc. Some of these larger UTV's are going to require a car trailer. I can use my lightweight trailer for the Honda with just a few inches to spare....both in length and width.

I sound like a Honda salesman now. (which I am not.....just reporting some facts that may be interesting)
Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 PM

foggy -You and I are old enough to remember the Willy's jeeps which were road legal. Now we have these new types of vehicles which are not road legal. They almost seem bigger than the old Willy's.

Or am I wrong and some are highway legal?

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Banned

Just a couple of pics of the Honda Pioneer. Just got it today....so not much time riding yet. It fit really nice on a trailer I already owned. 5'2" x 10' long Aluminum trailer with a ramp.

I got a glass windsheild and a hardtop that will cover all 4 riders. Also found a gun boot/case on the web that should work nicely. Cant wait to drive it more over the next few days.

Seems like a real nice unit.....but it is different than a ATV for sure. This is good....but ATV's are much more nimble.

This was taken near Sandbur's place. I AMOST stopped by.....but it was getting late.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Banned

Another pic in the driveway. I did not have the back seats up for the pic. Notice the side doors front AND REAR to allow access for FOUR adult riders. Perfect machine for touring. I added the optional hardtop and glass windshield. I'm sure there will be more accessories to come. Maybe a heater? and removable doors .....AT LEAST FOR THE DRIVER.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 PM
QDMA Member

Very nice hope you enjoy it
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

One more pic from the back with my gun boot installed. Holds two guns which are accesssable from either side. Also three big storage pouches. Installs / removes in seconds via snap buckles. Pretty slick case.....and was affordable off Amazon.

It does cut the rear vision some.....but I have a rear view mirror to add on the roll bar. May add some wind protection from the back too.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Looks good, foggy!

I recognize the place. You could have taken a bicycle west or a 4 wheeler to the east.

Stop by when you have time. I think you have my cell number.

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM
QDMA Member

Looks like a awesome ice fishing rig.

http://www.covertscoutingcameras.com/

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59307
(Trapper's Camp, The good, bad and the ugly thread.)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 PM
QDMA Member

Looks good Foggy, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper LM View Post
Looks like a awesome ice fishing rig.

Yep....but first I got some grouse to chase....some trails to ride....then coyote's to patrol.....deer to haul......and THEN the ice fishing. Let's not rush this winter thing.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

foggy, I don't know much about this unit but I do know from the big reds and the polaris rangers is if you have the front windshield and no rear window the dust will be unlike anything you could imagine..... I rode on a honda big red with out a back to the cab that we could have planted a food plot inside the bike!!!!

Certified Deer Steward 1
Certified Deer Steward 2
Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 PM

You forget, my neck is toast - when I go to spider lake, it's to take pics, enjoy the fresh air, and see some logging after effects.

I averaged 10 mph the last trip. I didn't make it out there last week either. Ended up breaking myself again working on the swamp trail. Maybe next week I'll get the chance. I'd also be game for riding AR along side ya for some yote whacking on logging roads.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterquartersmgr View Post
foggy, I don't know much about this unit but I do know from the big reds and the polaris rangers is if you have the front windshield and no rear window the dust will be unlike anything you could imagine..... I rode on a honda big red with out a back to the cab that we could have planted a food plot inside the bike!!!!

Thanks for the warning. I've heard some about the dust too. I do have a fabric panel / window that goes between the front and rear seats (on the roll cage) which I have not yet installed.

I need to drive this rig....to see how the dust behaves. Gonna be a learning curve with this thing....for sure.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Banned

Those of you that already own a UTV are likely aware of all this....but I did promise a review of my initial ride on our Honda Pioneer. I got a golf-cart and a 4 wheeler to compare to....so this is all a bit new to me.

Got a few miles on the odo yesterday. Went over to my BIL's house and land. Three of us rode his trails to get his game camera chips....then drove over some Potlatch forest roads. The rear seats and doors on the Pioneer made this simple for the three of us to all ride in comfort....in a short wb machine. Nimble....smooth....nice fit.

Really a nice riding machine. We zipped along nicely on the trails and everyone remarked on the comfort of the ride....front and rear. Climbed up a rock-strewn hillside that also had some big roots and erosion-rut issues. Was surprised how effortlessly we traveled. Used 4WD a few times....but never used the front diff locker. Steers easily even without PS. Feels safe and secure with the 1/2 doors and roll cage. Feels like a good low center of gravity on the hills....nice and stable. Fairly nimble on any established trails....but it's not the machine to blaze lots of new trails....as you may do on a "wheeler". For my purposes....this is a great ride.

Later I went over to my land and rode my established trails. I have a tractor with a 5 foot rotary cutter.....and that is typically my minimum maintained trail size. I've been useing our golf cart on these trials. This Pioneer easily will fit on the trials my tractor makes. The Pioneer rides the trails with much less "jossling" around than the golf cart. Very smooth riding machine.....and we continued to remark how nice this was. Maybe were getting old?

A little louder than I expected, but the roof and windshield make it appear louder. Some heat comes up from the engine and will be welcome this fall / winter....but could prove excessive in the summer(?). Struggeled twice with the shift from REV to Fwd.....but I attributed it to a new machine. Sticky?

The 3 speed tranny with torque converter is the REAL DEAL! I really like this automotive type tranny and the way it shifts. NO belts to worry about. Seems very dependable and capable.

Really liked the protection provided by the full glass windshield and the roof. Just lean-in and forward when encountering brush. A non-event. May have to remove the windshield in the summer months tho....or get a 1/2 windscreen for the summer to let some air thru. It had rained earlier in the morning.....so dust was a non-event. The roof is major nice.....lite rains proved no issue and the brush was no worry to my passengers: nice....and less to worry about when your the driver. I'd hate to put a stick in someones eye.

This was the ride(s) I wish I could have taken prior to my purchase (with a new model it's hard to be certain).....as it re-enforced my decision on this purchase. Nice, versatile machine. I'd buy it again.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2013, 09:22 AM
QDMA Member

great review, thanks foggy!! I've got my eye on one of these!
it should be "stud" grinder....
You'll know you're in Louisiana when the locals race their 4x4's and mud-ride in their boats.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVe3xG-wos
Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

I've been asked: "How fast does it go?". Yesterday I tried to get up to top speed....but quit at about 40 MPH....as the road was not fit for faster with our group on board. I saw 43MPH advertised.....so I suppose that is correct. That would appear to me to be "fast enough".....and a reasonable speed given the machine type.

Seems that 30 to 35 MPH on a gravel road is about cruising speed in this machine.....and feels plenty fast to me. On the trails I did not want for power....plenty of torque and power for trail riding and food plotting (?....to be determined).

The big single cylinder engine would seem to have lots of torque and the weight needed to pull properyly sized drags, disks, packers, and such with ease.

I plan to make a reciever hitch "platform" to carry my 25 gallon ATV weed sprayer as well as my Herd Seeder. Should be slick..... using the bed to carry the seeds and fertilizer.....and having the seeder attached in this way.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM
QDMA Member

Good lookin machine.

Could ya give a general price range with/without roof and windshield?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR! View Post
Good lookin machine.

Could ya give a general price range with/without roof and windshield?

MSRP for the 700-4 (4 place) is $11,600 which is well below other 4 place machines. But the bargain is on the base 700 two seater at $9,995 - if you don't need to haul more people.

I spent another $1200 on optional roof, glass windshield and rear curtain.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
MSRP for the 700-4 (4 place) is $11,600 which is well below other 4 place machines. But the bargain is on the base 700 two seater at $9,995 - if you don't need to haul more people.

I spent another $1200 on optional roof, glass windshield and rear curtain.

I'm liking it more & more... same price range as my other pick, the Polaris Ranger 500... with more power.

I've owned nothing but Honda ATV's... might just be sticking with my brand.
it should be "stud" grinder....
You'll know you're in Louisiana when the locals race their 4x4's and mud-ride in their boats.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVe3xG-wos