Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Banned

Location: Crow Wing County, North Central Minnesota (USDA zone 3)

back on track......here is a picture of a Honda Pioneer 700-4....which is similar to the one I'm getting. I'm getting a roof as shown and a full glass windsheild. (hey....it's Minnesota)
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Banned

another shot from the side. Those back suicide doors allow two rear passengers to enter and face forward. The seats can also be folded flat into the floor for utility needs......and when the seats are stowed you have a normal utility bed....the bed dumps too. Slick!

Those nets need to be stowed for most of my purposes. Maybe good for rugged trail driving.....but a PITA for day to day use.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 AM
QDMA Member

foggy, just curious how do you figure your use % will be divided between 4 seater with out cargo bed and 2 seater with cargo bed?

Juneau County, Wisconsin
WI DNR Central Forest Zone
USDA Zone 4b
Old 09-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
foggy, just curious how do you figure your use % will be divided between 4 seater with out cargo bed and 2 seater with cargo bed?

I'm making a guess here....but I imagine we will use it 80% of the time as a two seater. I see my wife or myself using it allot with our seeder and sprayer and drag. I think I will make reciever hitch brackets for the seeder and sprayer so I can keep the bed available for other things (seeds and chainsaw, etc). Then too....I see it used for two-person hunting trips. Coyote calling on the old grade sounds like fun.

But it will be nice to do some family lake cruising in the winter, and for land tours with family or grandkids. All too often it's hard to bring everyone along....and this solves some issues in that department. The big ice fishing contest at Gull lake comes to mind as a time to haul folks, etc. We can travel across the ice to go out to eat.

The other thing is.....my family can use my toys.....and they spend some weekends and vacations with us. We have some good trails nearby.....and I forsee some family outings. Finally, "mom" and one or two kids (or adults) can go along at the same time.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:51 PM

I'm hoping to play around at Spider Lake later this week. You should bring it out and get it dirty.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 PM
QDMA Member

This unit should suit your needs very well. Can't wait to see the "in use" photos next plotting season.

Juneau County, Wisconsin
WI DNR Central Forest Zone
USDA Zone 4b
Old 09-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
I'm hoping to play around at Spider Lake later this week. You should bring it out and get it dirty.

Man....I'd like to. The one shown in the pictures is not mine. But I am getting the same color, roof and glass windshield. Not sure if I will have delivery by then.....and I am in the process of moving (seems I show up here at QDMA to take a break )

Not sure I like hard trail riding as much as a good old leisurely () wilderness cruise in the far north. Maybe I'm starting to creak too much. Got plans to get out on a grouse and / or squirrel hunt with an old school friend ASAP. Be fun to cruise along some old logging roads I know of. Maybe a chance to use my Savage combination gun.

Right now I'm so into moving my tools, reloading stuff and guns and ammo is a major PITA. Almost done....but really tired of it. LESS IS MORE!!.....trust me!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
I'm making a guess here....but I imagine we will use it 80% of the time as a two seater. I see my wife or myself using it allot with our seeder and sprayer and drag. I think I will make reciever hitch brackets for the seeder and sprayer so I can keep the bed available for other things (seeds and chainsaw, etc). Then too....I see it used for two-person hunting trips. Coyote calling on the old grade sounds like fun.

But it will be nice to do some family lake cruising in the winter, and for land tours with family or grandkids. All too often it's hard to bring everyone along....and this solves some issues in that department. The big ice fishing contest at Gull lake comes to mind as a time to haul folks, etc. We can travel across the ice to go out to eat.

The other thing is.....my family can use my toys.....and they spend some weekends and vacations with us. We have some good trails nearby.....and I forsee some family outings. Finally, "mom" and one or two kids (or adults) can go along at the same time.

If you are talking about coyote hunting on the Old Grade, maybe you should apply for a wolf tag????

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbur View Post
If you are talking about coyote hunting on the Old Grade, maybe you should apply for a wolf tag????

Yep. If I KNEW I had some time to go on a wolf hunt during the time the season is open....perhaps I'd pay for a tag. Short season.

Tho....it's hard to pay yet another fee to the DNR in order to do some predator control. Seems every-time you turn around in this state, they want some kind of a fee. It's not that I cannot afford it....but, the principles get in my way sometimes.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Banned

Learned a few things more about riding UTV's on Minnesota trails. Sign at trail head states: Class I and II machines, 800cc max engine and 1500# max dry weight. Phew! Honda Pioneer is 680 cc and 1430#.

Changes in laws have occurred over time. Something to consider. I do see a number of brands that would exceed these values (Polaris Ranger 900 and JD Gator 825, for example, but there are more). Could be a problem for use the way I intend.

Hmmm......size does matter!