Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Default crabapples and food plots

I planted 3 crabapples from mossy oak native nurseries. I put them next to my wild plums on the edge of my 1/4 acre plot. That spot gets alot of sun. If it was up to me I would cut at least one more big oak but its not my land. Its my uncles so at least its family. Have any of you planted a crabapple in the center of your plot? Its just an idea im kicking around.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:38 PM

I have some small, odd shaped plots of clover in the woods that I have planted with a crab apple or two.

Look to the future and what equipment you might have before planting in the middle of a plot. I keep the crabs along the edge where a tractor is used with a corn planter.

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Cool. Well this is a very small property and I mean micro. But its been my playground and its been fun. I have seen the change from 2008 to now. The only way to work the back plot is with atv and atv disc. Its going to be brassicas this year. I think if I did it I would try to get a bigger crab apple.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM

I work my small plots with a garden tiller and put part in brassica every year or so.

What do you mean by a bigger crab apple-bigger apple size or a bigger tree?

Give it time and the tree will grow.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM

I meant by buying a container tree. Something farther along in the growth cycle.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 PM

Guess I would have to be more careful when I spray as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM

Default Crabapple trees

I planted about 20 crabapple, 20 American Plum, and 20 Persimmon seedlings in March 2011 down the middle of a 1.5 acre field, thus splitting it into three 1/2 acre plots. I put tree tubes on all trees, and many of them are not 3-4' outside a 4' tree tube. Amazing....

I came up with planting the crabapple trees after spending many years hunting a nursery, which had hundreds of crabapple trees planted. In the late winter, the deer would venture into the middle of the nursery to eat the crabapples that were still on the branches. Great late season food source.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
QDMA Member

I just planted 8 5 yo bareroot crabs down the center of some foodplots.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Hey pope does most crabapples drop fruit late? Would a crabapple cause shade problems on a 1/4 acre plot?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM
QDMA Member

0UOTE=sandbur;602668]I have some small, odd shaped plots of clover in the woods that I have planted with a crab apple or two.

Look to the future and what equipment you might have before planting in the middle of a plot. I keep the crabs along the edge where a tractor is used with a corn planter.[/quote]

I'll 2nd what Sandbur said if you've got good southern exposure they will do well. The 2nd point is that deer feel much safer in the woods and on edges. An orchard on an edge just extends it so you will be more apt see deer during shooting hours. IMO bedding, orchard and then plot field always! Your orchard will be a great transition zone. Think about it will deer feel more safe on an edge, or out in the middle of a field...no brainer!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya View Post
0UOTE=sandbur;602668]I have some small, odd shaped plots of clover in the woods that I have planted with a crab apple or two.

Look to the future and what equipment you might have before planting in the middle of a plot. I keep the crabs along the edge where a tractor is used with a corn planter.

I'll 2nd what Sandbur said if you've got good southern exposure they will do well. The 2nd point is that deer feel much safer in the woods and on edges. An orchard on an edge just extends it so you will be more apt see deer during shooting hours. IMO bedding, orchard and then plot field always! Your orchard will be a great transition zone. Think about it will deer feel more safe on an edge, or out in the middle of a field...no brainer![/quote]

I have about 13 wild plums planted on the edge. They are 4 years old. I planted 3 Chickasaw plums in side of those wild plums. Plus 3 crabapples on the inside of the those wild plums. They came from mossy oak nativ nurseries. The crabs would probably be easy to transplant. But if I could find a late dropper with fruit locally that be cool. T
these are on the west edge of my plot. It does have a south exposure. There is 2 big oaks on the south edge but then it pretty open toward the north part.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever37 View Post
I planted 3 crabapples from mossy oak native nurseries. I put them next to my wild plums on the edge of my 1/4 acre plot. That spot gets alot of sun. If it was up to me I would cut at least one more big oak but its not my land. Its my uncles so at least its family. Have any of you planted a crabapple in the center of your plot? Its just an idea im kicking around.

My trees I sell currently come from Nativ Nurseries. One of my clients this year bought some and planted them when they were around 12"-18" on May 8th in the middle of his plots. They're already close to the top of the 4-foot tree protectors. My experience though is that unless they are caged, anything around the plot is in danger from antlers once the velvet starts coming off.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFWC View Post
My trees I sell currently come from Nativ Nurseries. One of my clients this year bought some and planted them when they were around 12"-18" on May 8th in the middle of his plots. They're already close to the top of the 4-foot tree protectors. My experience though is that unless they are caged, anything around the plot is in danger from antlers once the velvet starts coming off.

yeah mine came almost 24 inches tall. They are all caged. If I do this im very tempted with a more mature tree. And maybe transplant one of the native nurseries ones to the center.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 AM

With proper care, those crab apples grow fast. I would not move one and plant a more mature tree. Just leave it in place and find another spot for the mature crab if you are determined to buy one.

I buy a few large bare root trees for the home orchard and maybe one or two for the deer. It will only take a few years and you will not know the difference between the two trees-if you take care of what is in place.

Moving the trees is stress and sets them back a year or two.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbur View Post
With proper care, those crab apples grow fast. I would not move one and plant a more mature tree. Just leave it in place and find another spot for the mature crab if you are determined to buy one.

I buy a few large bare root trees for the home orchard and maybe one or two for the deer. It will only take a few years and you will not know the difference between the two trees-if you take care of what is in place.

Moving the trees is stress and sets them back a year or two.

thanks
even though I just planted them a month ago? In the middle of this plot is about the only place that gets enough sun.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
QDMA Member

If you are going to move fruit trees, I would do it when the tree is dormant and not during the summer. Spring seems to be preferred based on a previous thread I started about transplanting a grafted apple tree.

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50799

CrazyED's Fruit Tree Thread

The QDMAer's Fruit Tree Resource Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Hey pope does most crabapples drop fruit late? Would a crabapple cause shade problems on a 1/4 acre plot?

I have 5 varieities in. Selkirk, Dolgo, Whitney, Chestnut and ?. They are August/Sept. drop. The nursery will be selling a "rut candy" crab in the spring which will drop in Nov-Jan.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyoung9 View Post
I have 5 varieities in. Selkirk, Dolgo, Whitney, Chestnut and ?. They are August/Sept. drop. The nursery will be selling a "rut candy" crab in the spring which will drop in Nov-Jan.

now that would be cool. The nursery where you got your crabs?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
now that would be cool. The nursery where you got your crabs?

Wolfraths in Hortonville, Wi. Click on the fruit tree link on their page.

http://www.wolfraths.com/
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
yeah mine came almost 24 inches tall. They are all caged. If I do this im very tempted with a more mature tree. And maybe transplant one of the native nurseries ones to the center.

Yep. Just received an order today where the pecans and shumard oaks were all 2-3 feet tall. Great growth even while still in the rootmaker cells.