Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 PM
QDMA Member

Default .308 for Deer

Just bought a new 308, never owned one. Shot lots of deer with about every other caliber out there but have no experince with this caliber and deer.

What is your Peanut Butter and Jelly 308 deer load? Specifically looking for the bullets people are using from 20-250 yards on deer with the 308. I am well aware of how easy deer are to kill with about any bullet if you put it in the right spot. What bullet seems to be the best all around performer in this caliber for you on deer sized game?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 AM
QDMA Member

I have had a sako manlicher .308 for 40 years. Great caliber. 150 grain nosler partitioned for deer/elk/antelope. Very little recoil, good to 400 plus. 7.62 nato. Flatter shooting then my .270.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 AM
QDMA Member

The best factory load I have found for my TC Icon .308 is Hornady 150 gr. SST Interlock. Most accurate and deadly.
Lynn

This year, the year 1935, will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.
Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Speer 150 grain soft point boat tails for my Browning BAR. I've handloaded this bullet, or similar from other manufacturers since buying the rifle in the mid 80s. Never failed to perform, with the excellent ballistics the round is known for. Mark

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...ail.aspx?id=89
Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 AM
QDMA Member

I have the Ruger M77 Hawkeye. Shorter length was good for walk & stalk, and easier to use in a blind. I have handed it down to my nephew when he turned 14. Good size gun for him and very little recoil. He has taken 2 doe and his 1st buck this year with it. All 3 shots were 170-210 yards.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM

I use a .30-06, but a .308 is about as good of an all-round caliber as you can get your hands on. If you can get it in the scope, it'll kill it.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:27 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE, LLC View Post
I use a .30-06, but a .308 is about as good of an all-round caliber as you can get your hands on. If you can get it in the scope, it'll kill it.

I love the '06 as well. The only reason I went .308 is I wanted a bolt action and the shorter action is a little easier for me to handle. Nearly identical ballistics all across the board. 50/50 on this one.
Lynn

This year, the year 1935, will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.
Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 PM
QDMA Member

Some of you may recall a recent post where I just purchased a FNAR 308. Even though I own many rifles of various calibers, this is only the second 308 that I have ever owned and the only one I currently own. However, I believe it is a fine caliber, and you can find good run-of-the-mill 308 ammo in places like Wal Mart, K-mart, etc when you can hardly find anything else. Also, there are some factory loads out there for a 308 that rival handloads in many guns.

Now that I have this gun I have made a decision to rebarrel a 243 bolt gun that I have to 308 so that I will have two 308 options. Although 243s are know for good accuracy, the one I have is less than satisfactory to me, and I'm going to get a good gunsmith to put a Hart or Shillen on it and do all of the other little tricks that make a tack driver. So, I'm back in the 308 business big time again.

Being a handloader, I hope to get the most out of both guns. The FNAR semi auto is guaranteed to shoot sub MOA with factory Federal Gold Metal Match. Based on my experience, if it will do that, I can go well below MOA with my handloads.

I like a good aerodynamic 150 grain bullet in 308 for deer, and there are many good choices. I really like the Nosler BT although some would argue that they are a little too fragile for deer hunting. Well, to each his own, but I prefer a bullet a tad on the fragile side. In my experience shooting deer, getting rapid expansion on a well placed shot is the quickest means of anchoring one quickly. Some of the quickest kills I have ever seen on deer were from an 85 grain hollow points in a 243 and 120 ballistic tips in 7 MM Mag.

Good luck with the 308 - Steve
Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 PM

I have been using the 165 grain Federal fusion in my m14. They have given me excellent penetration and performance on 8 large hogs from 50 to 300 yards. I have only taken 2 deer with this load.
One other thing, I pay 20.00 a box for this load> Excellent performance at a good price.

cat doctor
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 AM
QDMA Member

I run Hornady 150gr SSTs Superformance through my Sako Finnlight .308.
Top left group is the first 3 shot group. Center group is 3 shots after 2 clicks right and 2 down, nuff said.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
Top left group is the first 3 shot group. Center group is 3 shots after 2 clicks right and 2 down, nuff said.

Yes indeed - enough said. That is what a rifle ought to shoot like!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Spud View Post
I have the Ruger M77 Hawkeye.

Have the same gun in lefty-bolt. I can't give long-range advise because we don't shoot long range. I use off-the-shelf Remington Core-lokts (150 grn) and they perform wonderfully at the distances I shoot.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:

2Dogs, have you tried the standard Hornady ammo? I have wanted to try the Superformance but haven't yet.
Lynn

Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM
QDMA Member

My son shoots the standard Hornady 150gr SST Custom Ammo in his Tikka .308. It will stack them as well, not as good as the Finnlight , but way above average for out of the box rifle and ammo.
First ammo I shot through the Finnlight was the 150 gr sst superformance. I didn't see any reason to try anything else. It'll shoot them better than I can hold it.
We've had great luck with the SSTs 150gr. Both the Customs and Superformance are mighty fine deer ammo ,kills them dead.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
My son shoots the standard Hornady 150gr SST Custom Ammo in his Tikka .308. It will stack them as well, not as good as the Finnlight , but way above average for out of the box rifle and ammo.
First ammo I shot through the Finnlight was the 150 gr sst superformance. I didn't see any reason to try anything else. It'll shoot them better than I can hold it.
We've had great luck with the SSTs 150gr. Both the Customs and Superformance are mighty fine deer ammo ,kills them dead.

I can see why you aren't changing. Nice groups BTW.
I'd be curoius how much, if any, better your son's Tikka would handle the Superformance.
My Icon likes the Custom. It will group 3 shots at .400 to .450 all day long. I have tried Winchester, Federal and Remington factory loads. They shot OK but not like the Hornadys. I have reloads I use in another .308 but haven't tried them in the Icon for some unknown reason. I'll do this when the weather warms a bit.
Lynn

Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:27 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMGrow View Post
I can see why you aren't changing. Nice groups BTW.
I'd be curoius how much, if any, better your son's Tikka would handle the Superformance.
My Icon likes the Custom. It will group 3 shots at .400 to .450 all day long. I have tried Winchester, Federal and Remington factory loads. They shot OK but not like the Hornadys. I have reloads I use in another .308 but haven't tried them in the Icon for some unknown reason. I'll do this when the weather warms a bit.
Lynn

Never tried the Supers in the Tikka or Customs in the Finnlight. Next time we go to the range I might swap up and see if they like the other stuff better. My sons Tikka will shoot about 3/4 " groups with the Customs and thats with a Leupold 2.5-8 scope with heavy duplex. Cross hairs cover the center of the bull. I've shot Hornady"ready loads" in several calibers for many years, never a hint of problems. I really like the 150gr SSts in the .308s.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 PM

I have used both the 150 grain Hornady SST's and Nosler TG 165 grain (ballistic tip) loads out of my TC Icon 308. Both get the job done...the Noslers leave a bigger hole.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM
QDMA Member

As my handle might suggest I like the 308. I have had a Remington model 7 for about 20 years. My favorite deer load is 165 gr Cor Lok over 45 grains of Varget.

Playground 2014- Land Tour

2014 Food Plots
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM
QDMA Member

any thoughts on H1000? working up loads now with imr 4350 for my 270, but my eyese always wander up the the faster shooting stuff, and then my mind starts thinking.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM
QDMA Member

I too use a 30-06 but the bullets are interchangeable. My favorite bullet is the Barnes TSX 150 grain. It works very well and flies accurately in every gun we have tried it in. They penetrate well and open reliably. I have only recovered one or two and those where we shot a deer long ways. They looked like the ones in the advertisements. Good hunting. "D"