Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > Bowhunters' Firepot

Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 PM

Default Best broadheads for recurve

Got bored with the old compound and got a martin dream catcher 45lbs@28. Been shooting alot and feel confident with a 20 yd shot on a deer. Was just wondering about broadheads. Used up some cabelas bucks tonight and bought some 100 gr magnus 2 blades. What are some of you other traditional guys using? They will be on carbon arrows so they need to be screw ins.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 PM

I use the large 2 blade Zwikie Deltas on heavy spinned cedar shafts
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 AM

The heads you bought are just fine. The stingers work well too. Woodsmans are a good choice if you decide you want a third blade. Whatever head you decide on just get them as sharp as you can.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:57 PM

I've been using Zwickey Eskimo 2blades since 1969 and they work just fine. The Magnus 2 blades are a good choice also. As previously stated, just be sure they are sharp.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 PM

EKD,I think the most important thing to understand about traditional broadhead choice is point weight and how it affects spine of the arrow and thus arrow flight.Unlike a compound where the bow can be tuned to the arrow, with a trad bow, the arrow must be tuned to fit the bow.Are 100gr field points the weight that is giving you good flight? If you are not sure, cut the fletching from one of your arrows and shoot it (field point only) several times at a bale from about 10 yds.If the arrow consistently hits with the nock right (for right handed shooter) spine is too stiff.If nock left,spine is too weak.Adjust point weight until arrow flies like a dart...this will be the grain weight of the broadhead you should shoot.You can also adjust spine by choosing a different shaft or by adjusting length.Large fletching can mask arrow tuning problems when shooting field points, but put a large cut-on-contact broadhead on the front end and its like putting wings on the front of the arrow and the resulting windplane will affect accuracy and penetration.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post
EKD,I think the most important thing to understand about traditional broadhead choice is point weight and how it affects spine of the arrow and thus arrow flight.Unlike a compound where the bow can be tuned to the arrow, with a trad bow, the arrow must be tuned to fit the bow.Are 100gr field points the weight that is giving you good flight? If you are not sure, cut the fletching from one of your arrows and shoot it (field point only) several times at a bale from about 10 yds.If the arrow consistently hits with the nock right (for right handed shooter) spine is too stiff.If nock left,spine is too weak.Adjust point weight until arrow flies like a dart...this will be the grain weight of the broadhead you should shoot.You can also adjust spine by choosing a different shaft or by adjusting length.Large fletching can mask arrow tuning problems when shooting field points, but put a large cut-on-contact broadhead on the front end and its like putting wings on the front of the arrow and the resulting windplane will affect accuracy and penetration.

Very good info.
Another important detail is the arrow's front of center (FOC) balance. the head should be heavy enough that the balance point of the arrow is 10%-15% forward of the middle of the arrow so broadhead weight is important.
Also, traditional bows perform best with an arrow and broadhead that weighs approx 10 grains per pound of bow pull. A 45 lb bow should shoot an arrow with a finished weight of around 450 grains.

For the last few years, I've hunted with Eclipse single bevel 125 grain heads on Grizzlystik carbon arrows.
I highly recommend a single bevel 2 blade head.
Grizzlystik arrows by Alaska Bowhunters Supply are a tapered carbon arrow which moves the FOC forward. I've had excellent results with this set-up.
Dr Ed Ashby is the foremost expert on broadhead performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAeuVFSHA1E
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/PR/S...Broadheads.pdf
If you go to the link to Alaska bowhunters supply, Dr Ashby has many reports that you can read. Excellent information.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 AM

lately on ebay i have seen hand knapped obsidian arrowheads tied to a screw in base with sinew. i think they are 15 dollars a piece. hey if you are going to go traditional, go traditional.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagehill View Post
lately on ebay i have seen hand knapped obsidian arrowheads tied to a screw in base with sinew. i think they are 15 dollars a piece. hey if you are going to go traditional, go traditional.

Stone heads fall under the "primitive" category, not the traditional category.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM
QDMA Member

You need to bareshaft an arrow before you can determine what weight head to use. Every single traditional bow is different.

To ballpark it for you, with a 45lb recurve, you should be able to get away with some full length CX Heritage 150 arrows. But from their, how the shelf is cut, your string material, brace ht, total draw length etc, will all determine if you need 85grs or 150grs.

And you may well need to cut off a couple inches if you want to shoot 150grs.

For my 45 and under bows, Grizzly Stik Sitka's are my go to arrow. Tip weight depends on the bow..

I shoot light bows due to shoulder issues. Anywhere from 30-45lbs. I personally like "bleeder blades" to open up the wound a bit.

There's lots of great heads out there. Magnus Stingers and Steelforce Phatheads are super heads and between them you can find weights from 75-200grs. (You must call Steelforce and order 190gr 2 blades with bleeders to get 200gr).

There's tons of great 2 blades out there.

Try 3 rivers for a super selection...
http://www.3riversarchery.com/broadh...16_p0_cat.html

Here's a couple good youtubes for intro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6jua...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc_5m...eature=related

Last edited by Mojostick : 09-27-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 PM

http://www.vparchery.com/home.php

200gr 3 blade
Pope&Young Club
QDMA
VPA Field Staff
My dog can find more birds than your dog.

Last edited by gutpile : 09-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.