Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2012, 03:00 PM
QDMA Member

Default VA no trespassing sign laws

I'm trying to determine what is necessary for my posted signs to be legally binding in VA. Does anyone know? I've tried unsuccessfully to find this info online.
What I want to know is, does my name and address HAVE to be on the sign? Phone number? I really don't want to advertise that I'm not local by putting my address on a posted sign. Don't like advertising my phone number either. But I want to make sure they'll hold up if it comes down to that.
Thanks,

I'm leaning towards buying the signs that scrim had recommended to avoid future maintenance.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
I'm trying to determine what is necessary for my posted signs to be legally binding in VA. Does anyone know? I've tried unsuccessfully to find this info online.
What I want to know is, does my name and address HAVE to be on the sign? Phone number? I really don't want to advertise that I'm not local by putting my address on a posted sign. Don't like advertising my phone number either. But I want to make sure they'll hold up if it comes down to that.
Thanks,

I'm leaning towards buying the signs that scrim had recommended to avoid future maintenance.

Gator, I don't know where we found it but I believe the following is true:

No you don't have to have name, address or phone number on signs. I believe (silver) paint marked at a certain height is the same as a no trespassing sign as well. I don't have a game reg. book in front of me but I think it might be in there if you have one.

Also, when we 1st bought our place I had some trespassing neighbors. So what did I do, I marked every possible tree along there border and put a strand of barb wire crotch high up. Next year I came through the woods as one was ducking under the fence coming onto our property rifle in hand. The rest of the property I posted heavy to account for lost signs but didn't go overboard either. I have since gone back with certain neighbors and walked lines posting and putting up ribbon. I told them I wanted hunters on both sides of the line to understand where the boundaries were for safety reasons. This way was well excepted and both parties were evolved. If I had to start over I would have met with each neighbor 1st before posting to avoid conflict. Signs don't stop those that will trespass and you don't have to have it posted to prosecute. Also, once people know you own the place and there is no doubt they shouldn't be on it, prosecute every time.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
QDMA Member

Don't have any of the info handy but it is in the game regulation book.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Metal signs

I am not able to privide any detail on VA law, but I can provide a good supplier of "No Trespassing" signs.
I purchased metal signs about 5 years ago for my place in PA, and they still look new.
http://www.vosssigns.com/Specials.htm
Voss frequently runs specials. They are worth checking out. Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 PM

Sj is correct on the silver paint. If you do post it - you have to post the entire perimeter. If you just do 3 sides, you can't prosecute.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:03 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey135 View Post
Sj is correct on the silver paint. If you do post it - you have to post the entire perimeter. If you just do 3 sides, you can't prosecute.

They have to give the crooks a way out of being prosecuted. I guess if my door isn't locked than they didn't break in too
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 PM
QDMA Member

About the silver markings, the book says it has to be an aluminum color paint, like silver consisting of a vertical line at least 2 inches in width and at least 8 inches in length, no less than 3 feet from the ground or normal water surface and visible when approaching the property
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:

I'm not sure where you got this info., but I have to question it. Several years ago some not so law abiding family members of mine were caught trespassing on an 11,000 acre property and the warden said that because there were posted signs at the entrances to the farm that was all that was needed to convict them of trespassing and hunting on posted property. I can assure you there are only a handful of signs on that entire property. You do not have to include any contact info. on the signs.

According to the game laws:

"Landowners may post their property by any of the following methods:

Using a paint mark of aluminum color paint consisting of a vertical line at least two inches in width and at least eight inches in height no less than 3 feet and no more than 6 feet from the ground or normal water surface and visible when approaching the property.

Signs that specifically prohibit hunting, fishing, or trespassing on the property."

If you want more specific info. I would suggest you contact your local warden as they will be the ones specifically responding to any complaints you have. Personally, I make sure there is no question the prperty is posted. IMO if you approach from an adjoining property and see a sign every 100' there should be no question about the property being posted.

Last edited by criggster : 09-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
QDMA Member

Here is a link although it doesn't answer all your questions.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...teproperty.asp
Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:

Can you tell me where you got this info?

So I did look at the Game and Fish website (which is quoted above) but I'm not convinced that's legally binding. It seems pretty vague. I'd just hate to do a bunch of work for it not to hold water if you know what I mean....
Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Default I

was told that by a c.p.o. I was leasing a house on 20 acres in northern virginia and I walked the property line with the realtor. Next year, I killed a buck that fell on what I thought was my lease and gutted him. Fifteen minutes later, a state trooper shows up (who leased the adjoining land) and wants to cite me for trespassing, so he calls the c.p.o. I showed the c.p.o my tree stand (on my lease) and where the deer fell. The trooper was really pushing for me to get a ticket, but the c.p.o declined since the property was not posted except for the road frontage. He told him to properly mark his lease and put up paint or signs. Next day a survery crew was out trying to fing the correct property line. Turns out, the gut pile was right on the line.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 AM
QDMA Member

Thanks Massey
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
QDMA Member

Gator, my understanding is your property doesn't have to be posted to prosecute someone for trespassing. If it is posted it is one fine and non posted is another. I would do as Criggster said and call a game warden in advance and get their input though.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM
QDMA Member

I have one line that I really wanted to post. The hunt club that used to have my property still has the bordering property and I like to make it obvious where their lease ends now (hopefully they are good guys and will respect that). To make it worse, part of that boundary is a clear cut now and not easily accessible by me. But if what Massey says is true, I'll need to post the entire property.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 AM

The law says you have to put signs on all road frontage and any water way adjacent to your land. Read Virginia code 18.2-134.1 It also states that signs must be clearly visible to approaching individuals. I guess, like a lot of laws, there seems to be room for interpretation. Best to ask your c.p.o. I posted the entire property line on my place, I just wanted to be clear. If not posted clearly, I can easily see how someone could make a mistake, especially if given incorrect info, as I was.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
QDMA Member

I've emailed the VA Dept Game and Fish and asked some questions. I'll post their responses if I get any. I have no road frontage but I do have waterway frontage.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 PM
QDMA Member

sent you a PM
Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 AM
QDMA Member

Default Response from DGIF

Here's the response I received about VA trespassing laws and rules from the Virginia Dept of Game and Fish.

Posting property correctly is the most important element necessary for prosecuting a trespassing violation. To convict someone of trespassing on “Posted” property in the Commonwealth of Virginia, it must be clear to any reasonable and prudent person(s) that a boundary line was clearly identified where they entered the property. Anytime you plan to “Post” property you need to mark the entire boundary. This eliminates someone found trespassing the ability to create reasonable doubt in court by stating that they approached from the opposite direction of the signs prohibiting people on the property.

As for you question, “Can I post only 2 or 3 sides and still prosecute?”, yes! If you are able to prove that the individual(s) trespassing clearly walked past a boundary line identified by signs or vertical stripes of aluminum paint. In Virginia, property is recognized as being “Posted” if you use a paint mark of aluminum color paint that consists of a vertical line at least two inches in width and at least eight inches in length, no less than three feet and not more than six feet from the ground, or normal water surface and visible when approaching the property. We typically recommend that you place a sign, vertical paint stripe or both, so that you can clearly see the next sign or paint stripe from either direction.

Law enforcement has a couple options handling trespassing situations. If someone is trespassing to hunt, fish or trap on property that is not “Posted” the individual(s) can be charged with a Class 3 misdemeanor for trespassing. The maximum fine for this violation will not exceed $500.00. However, if the property is not “Posted” and the landowner has provided the individual(s) with written notice from law enforcement to stay off the property, it increases the violation to a Class 1 misdemeanor, trespassing on property after being forbidden to do so! The maximum fine for this violation is $2500.00 dollars and up to 12 months in jail. Anyone found trespassing on “Posted” is automatically in violation of this Class 1 misdemeanor, trespassing on property after being forbidden to do so. The sign in this situation serves as the landowner’s notice.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM
QDMA Member

Gator, just happened to see your post...anyway, didn't read every post but if you get any no trespassing signs, those moldcraft signs are the way to go. You can put your address on them and phone number and they'll last literally forever, but I didn't. You probably already found the address from an old thread but I believe the company's name is moldcraft. It was definitely one of the most price savings I've ever found b/c sign companies had the signs marked up like 400% and I bought them directly from the manufacturer. I think I did a bunch of google searches to find the manufacturer. Everyone will say they have the best sign, etc. but for the money I'm not sure how these could be beat. Vinyl will last forever.

Something else I would do is mark your trees with what ever color paint you need to to mark your boundary. I'd put 6 foot metal t posts at the corners and mark with orange flags. Just doesn't hurt. Also realize you don't have to do all this this year, you just bought the property...I think the signs are a good deterant for trespassing but legally I'm not sure how far it would get you as I've had people trespass and catch them on cam but the chances or facts of catching them is a whole nother ball game. Best way to prevent trespassing is to make it known immediately that there's a new guy in the neighborhood (you) and you're not going to tolerate trespassing (by posting those highly visible signs).

If you use the signs, use aluminum roofing nails to put them in so they don't rust and don't drive the nail in all the way, just enough to hold the sign in so there's room for expansion. Clear any brush away around the sign or spray roundup all around it. Also bring a bucket or small ladder to stand on and post the signs high so they're more visible and can't be snatched or torn off. I placed mine every 50 yards which is close but very effective. I had two neighbors complain that the signs were "eye sores"...guess they did their job.

Here's the website:

http://www.moldcraftinc.com/products.asp
http://postedsign.com/
Old 09-12-2012, 08:24 AM
QDMA Member

Thanks! I did buy the moldcraft sign. Easy people to deal with. I just received a delivery alert that my signs will be delivered tomorrow. Looks like I'll need to hang a few this weekend. I ended up leaving my address and phone number off the signs but did put my name, mainly to keep someone from taking my signs and using them elsewhere (I guess they still could).

$152.25 for 100 personalized signs delivered seemed like a good deal if they even last 10-15 years much less longer.