Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianasam44 View Post
Sleeper, not to dampen your enthusiasm but you should be made aware that Michigan has a quarantine on Chestnut trees or cuttings originating from most southern states (I'm not sure about Florida) unless they are inspected and certified. I believe the quarantine started in 2010. The problem is a serious insect pest called the chestnut gall wasp which can lower nut production and actually kill chestnut trees (all types). It's an import from, where else, China. Seeds apparently are OK. You should at least check into this issue when you're deciding how to proceed with your project.

Interesting, I had no idea. Fortunately, FL is not on the list, but I may just get some standard Chinese Chestnuts or try some hybrids from Oikos. I certainly don't want to contribute to the problem.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonthehead View Post
I understand chestnuts can be expected to germinate after three months of stratification in the fridge. That puts it at mid January from now. But I don't want to fool with them in the house.

Can they be stored in damp peat at room temperature and not start cold stratification until November?

I'd really prefer to direct seed them after they start sprouting.

I put freshly collected American chestnut seeds directly from under the tree into Ziploc freezer bags with no peat or extra moisture and store them in the vegetable drawer (the one at the bottom) of the refrigerator. I've measured the temperature to be between 35 and 39 degrees. I've kept them for up to 16 months this way and they have still germinated when brought up to temperatures above 50 degrees. They rarely germinate while in the refrigerator (maybe 1%) unless extra moisture is added. I think the original moisture in the seeds when there are hundreds of them in the bag is sufficient to keep them viable.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
I put freshly collected American chestnut seeds directly from under the tree into Ziploc freezer bags with no peat or extra moisture and store them in the vegetable drawer (the one at the bottom) of the refrigerator. I've measured the temperature to be between 35 and 39 degrees. I've kept them for up to 16 months this way and they have still germinated when brought up to temperatures above 50 degrees. They rarely germinate while in the refrigerator (maybe 1%) unless extra moisture is added. I think the original moisture in the seeds when there are hundreds of them in the bag is sufficient to keep them viable.

What's the crop looking like this year larry, do you have any seeds for sale?

CrazyED's Fruit Tree Thread

The QDMAer's Fruit Tree Resource Thread
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM
QDMA Member

Received word they sold out quickly and will be listing more next week. Hopefully they went to QDMA members.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:

That's great info Larry. I was worried they'd dry out without peat?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrroae View Post
I just ordered 6 lbs of Dunstan Chestnuts from this guy. He has positive reviews and told me he's picking the nuts fresh everyday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:3160

For those looking for another source of Dunstan chestnut, you might want to consider this guy. He has them listed as Dunston instead of Dunstan.

Here's what the nuts looked like that I got today.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Just ordered 6 lbs of those myself...they look they are hot off the press and in great condition....for roasting.
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 09-08-2012, 05:13 PM

I think you'll be quite impressed.

Here's what he wrote me when I asked how fresh they were.

" These chestnuts are definitely fresh. I pick them up every day and have had no complaints in the years past......Ron"
Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I think you'll be quite impressed.

Here's what he wrote me when I asked how fresh they were.

" These chestnuts are definitely fresh. I pick them up every day and have had no complaints in the years past......Ron"

3 per pound is cheap for some chestnut roasting that's for sure
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
For those looking for another source of Dunstan chestnut, you might want to consider this guy. He has them listed as Dunston instead of Dunstan.

Here's what the nuts looked like that I got today.

They look like they are in great condition to be able to germinate. Did you count how many nuts you received? I did not weigh mine but, received 200 nuts. So they were 40 per pound give or take. Certainly cheaper than paying $24.95 a seedling from Chestnut Hill.