Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM
QDMA Member

Default Hog Trap

Finally got tired of the hogs running all the deer away and rooting up my food plots so this past weekend I installed a corral type hog trap. I went strictly by the book and got most of my info from the Texas A & M Wildlife Extension Service. They have posted a video on You Tube on how to build one of these. I used horse panels, tied it off with bailing wire, made sure it had no corners where the pigs could climb out and then used T posts every 4 feet. I have baited the trap and wired the doors open until the hogs get use to coming into the corral. I would say 2-3 weeks and then come back and set the trap door. I hope to be able to post pictures of the captured hogs. I am counting on catching the whole sounder or as many as possible.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Does anyone have knowledge about what happens when you shoot the hogs in the traps, will others hogs eventually come into the trap in a couple of months or does the trap need to be moved? It would be a big hassle to move, I'd like to leave it in one spot if I could?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM

Nice. Would like to see how you made your gate / trip setup.
Never trapped wild hogs (yet), but don't think the hogs will care about a little blood in there.
Hope it works out for ya.
Good luck
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
QDMA Member

Default Hog Trap

Built a similar one 2 yrs ago and caught 8 hogs the first time and 12 the second. I used a game camera to find out what was using the pen with the gate wired open. Then set the trip on the gate once I had the hogs coming in. Also had deer in and out plus turkeys and coons. I shot the hogs in the trap. After the second batch I had tracks in the field around the catch pen, but never got another hog to go in. I put a spin feeder in the pen to keep it baited. Then poured out corn for the final catch.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM
QDMA Member

To compliment a good hog trap try this:

http://www.lasergenetics.com/warrant...rn-policy.html

Good white clover read: search for 'white clover'
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1251/B1251.htm

Back-to-basics - fertilizer information
http://www.back-to-basics.net/home

Quality of Native Plant Forage Species Important to White-tailed Deer and Goats in South Central Oklahoma.
https://www.noble.org/global/ag/wild.../cdversion.pdf
Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgallow View Post
To compliment a good hog trap try this:

http://www.lasergenetics.com/warrant...rn-policy.html

Luckily I've already got the Laser Genetic light mounted to my S & W AR-15 (.223). I assume you are talking about using this for hunting hogs at night and not for the ones I will capture in the corral trap.

We'll see how well this trap does. I got a game camera hooked up and will see this weekend if they have found it and how many hogs are entering the trap. If camera shows good evidence I will set the trap this weekend.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

Send a message via AIM to TrademarkTexan

I used to trap hogs a lot. Usually we'd get a big "haul" on the first attempt and then they'd wise up and we would wait 6 months or a year before attempting to trap in that same area again.

Based on research from A&M and other places, it seems to really make a difference if you get the entire sounder or not. The research indicates that hogs are very territorial, and if you only get part of a sounder, the remainder will be wise to the trap and stay in the area, but not until a generation or two come along afterwards will they be easily trappable. If you get the entire sounder (or enough so that there isn't enough left to 'hold' the territory), then another sounder will soon expand to fill the the void, and you can often trap that sounder almost immediately, assuming they haven't been trap educated in their previous territory.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:39 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrademarkTexan View Post
I used to trap hogs a lot. Usually we'd get a big "haul" on the first attempt and then they'd wise up and we would wait 6 months or a year before attempting to trap in that same area again.

Based on research from A&M and other places, it seems to really make a difference if you get the entire sounder or not. The research indicates that hogs are very territorial, and if you only get part of a sounder, the remainder will be wise to the trap and stay in the area, but not until a generation or two come along afterwards will they be easily trappable. If you get the entire sounder (or enough so that there isn't enough left to 'hold' the territory), then another sounder will soon expand to fill the the void, and you can often trap that sounder almost immediately, assuming they haven't been trap educated in their previous territory.

Good luck!

They've got a new system out my neighbor was telling me about that's suppose to be the bee's knee's when it comes to catching hogs. From my understanding it basically uses some of the new camera technology that sends pics directly to your computer as well as a remote trigger for the door of the trap. The whole idea is to wait until the entire sounder is in the trap and then hit the trigger button while sitting at your computer at home. As it is now, it seems that most trapping being done is only getting a few at a time. It also cuts out the constant checking of traps.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

Send a message via AIM to TrademarkTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson n camo View Post
They've got a new system out my neighbor was telling me about that's suppose to be the bee's knee's when it comes to catching hogs. From my understanding it basically uses some of the new camera technology that sends pics directly to your computer as well as a remote trigger for the door of the trap. The whole idea is to wait until the entire sounder is in the trap and then hit the trigger button while sitting at your computer at home. As it is now, it seems that most trapping being done is only getting a few at a time. It also cuts out the constant checking of traps.

That sounds pretty cool!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrademarkTexan View Post
That sounds pretty cool!

"Jager Pro"has this type of equipment. I saw a video on it, gate is $1,500.00 and camera is another $550.00, plus the costs of the panels and T posts, that gets way up there. You also have to have AT & T service at a certain decibel level.

Last edited by jrhuff56 : 08-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:10 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhuff56 View Post
I would bet it is a pretty expensive to buy that type of equipment. I believe "Jaeger Pro"has this type of equipment. I saw a video on it but thought it would not be economical.

I think that may be it now that you mention that name. I haven't looked at the price but I think my neighbors were talking about going in on one with the landowner next to them and splitting the cost. Its an on going battle for them. They plant a lot of crops for the deer and it doesn't take the hogs long to demolish it when they get in there. They are at the point that without doing something about the hogs then its almost pointless to plant stuff like corn. The hogs demolish it as soon as it makes and all the cost of planting is lost. So in a situation like that, even if you had to skip a year or two of planting to help offset the cost.....you might be better off in the long run. There are a lot of costs associated with a system like that but there are also a lot of costs associated with having hogs on your land.