Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Default Greatest homemade deer attractant ever?

I made some homemade attractant last year following renound trapper Johnny Thorp's instructions.He claimed it was the best stuff you could use.It consist of the inside of testicles,tonquin musk,glycerin and vodka.I tried it a couple times but stopped when I figured I had used to much alcohol.On the forums a lot of people speak quit highly of Mr.Thorpe.Anybody ever use this or the tarsal gland version of it.Also a trapper in Ohio said it sounded good and would probably work.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 PM
QDMA Member

I always like the deer that I hunt to be good and drunk before i shoot them as well. Only way I have a fighting chance

"Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth. Give a man a keyboard and a user name and he will act like an absolute dill hole"
Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 PM

Guess I could drink it......Na
Old 08-19-2012, 11:49 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter14 View Post
I made some homemade attractant last year following renound trapper Johnny Thorp's instructions.He claimed it was the best stuff you could use.It consist of the inside of testicles,tonquin musk,glycerin and vodka.I tried it a couple times but stopped when I figured I had used to much alcohol.On the forums a lot of people speak quit highly of Mr.Thorpe.Anybody ever use this or the tarsal gland version of it.Also a trapper in Ohio said it sounded good and would probably work.

What's tonquin musk?

I don't think I've ever heard of Johnny Thorp......What forums have you been reading about him on? Is he from our area?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 AM
QDMA Member

Makes OK sense to me. Glycerin probably makes it last, and vodka keeps it sterile. I'd be inclined to try it with tarsal myself. FYI, I tap maple trees every year for syrup, and the first thing I do when I drill a fresh tap hole is spray out the hole with vodka to keep it sterile. Don't know for surre if it works or not, but I know for damned sure that I'm not the only syrup producer that takes that extra step.

Aldo Leopold
Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 AM

I tried it and didnt have it spook any deer,but I didnt use it enuf to say it wouldnt spook a deer either.Just didnt really have any reaction,Now that I remember I did put a camera on it and had 2 or 3 nights a doe seemed to sniff some weeds I had sprayed it on.The tonquin is uncut imitation tonquin as real tonquin is illegal and probably comparable to gold on the black market.It naturally comes from a little Asian musk deer which is endangered.Old trappers use to use it.It alone, they say, is a powerful atractant.I hope to use more testicles to further dilute the alcohol( I used 100 proof as added ins. it wouldnt spoil).It is suppose to get better with age.The mix is ,4oz vodka,4ozglycerin,2 to3 drops tonquin musk and testicles or glands.Mix the testicles and vodka,wait 2 to 5 months then add tonquin and glycerin. It will have to be sifted first.The video is online but hard to access as they try to sell the video also.Actualy smells pretty good.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerSlayer View Post
Makes OK sense to me. Glycerin probably makes it last, and vodka keeps it sterile. I'd be inclined to try it with tarsal myself. FYI, I tap maple trees every year for syrup, and the first thing I do when I drill a fresh tap hole is spray out the hole with vodka to keep it sterile. Don't know for surre if it works or not, but I know for damned sure that I'm not the only syrup producer that takes that extra step.

Quit interesting.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 AM

Peanut butter. All that other stuff is a waste of time.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM
QDMA Member

I just create food plots for wildlife, which attract and hold "homegrown" does, who get real stinky a couple of times in the Fall each year if buck upper lip curling is any indication. They seem to attract more bucks than everything else put together.

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/LandOwner
If it was easy, anybody could do it!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
QDMA Member

Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
QDMA Member

If you shake it more that twice, that's considered playing with it!
it should be "stud" grinder....
You'll know you're in Louisiana when the locals race their 4x4's and mud-ride in their boats.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVe3xG-wos
Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
QDMA Member

Be careful or your going to pee on your last 3 fingers.....
Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson n camo View Post
Be careful or your going to pee on your last 3 fingers.....

Leave it up to an Alabama fan to examine that closely. lol
it should be "stud" grinder....
You'll know you're in Louisiana when the locals race their 4x4's and mud-ride in their boats.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVe3xG-wos
Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
QDMA Member

My first bow kill came in to vanilla extract, she actually ate the leaf I'd put it on before I shot her. Now I'm wondering if she died happy.

So Jim Timber, does a deer eating peanut butter act like a dog eating peanut butter? When I was a kid I remember smearing peanut butter on the roof of my dog's mouth for fun (I don't think he minded too much). While the deer is distracted and concentrating on getting the peanut butter down you can draw your bow undetected maybe hot sauce would work too.

Aldo Leopold
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerSlayer View Post
When I was a kid I remember smearing peanut butter on the roof of my dog's mouth for fun (I don't think he minded too much).

Let me tell you, I once put a big dallop of PB on a saltine cracker and gave it to my mom's shih tzu. It was the funniest thing ever, without a doubt. But let me tell you, it embarrassed the heck out of that dog. From that point forward any time I tried to do he would just give me a dirty look.

Check us out at www.thecountrylodge.com

Providing affordable hunts and lodging in Gallatin and White Counties in Southern Illinois!!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Baiting deer is illegal here, but baiting squirrel is open - I mash the PB on a tree as high as I can reach in my kill zone, and the deer search for it, but can't get to it.

CO said if they're eating it, it's bait.

Oh, and I sit down wind of it - deer waltz past me nose up.

Last edited by Jim Timber : 08-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 PM
QDMA Member

Default Warning Sign

Post liberally:
Attached Images

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/LandOwner
If it was easy, anybody could do it!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
QDMA Member

The best scent is no scent!!!!

What your going to create something that will fool a 4.5 year olds bucks nose, that is 100 times more powerful than our own??
yeah right...

In my experience...scent has spooked 10 deer, for every one is has attracted.

I use some tinks 69...on some ground scrapes and had some good luck with it, causing more scrapes..but no more dayside action.

Study the land, create food plots, stay out and hunt sparingly rotating stands, and lands to hunt. A quick scent that will be a quick fix?? Good luck with that.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Wink Size Matters

Cute pic, the predawn light, the masculine profile ... too bad a guy bold enough to post a pic of himself takin' a leak ain't got nothin' to show for it !!
Old 12-23-2013, 03:22 AM

Default homemade persimmon extract

Further to the above, we make homemade persimmon extract all the time and spray it on our corn. It's easy and basically you just put some persimmon slices in vodka and let it sit for a couple of months.

I actually posted a recipe with pic on bootlegoutdoors.

You can make all kinds of extract/scent with this method though. Let your imagination be the limit.