Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Ohio Hunting Leases

Hey all, not trying to stir the pot.

Good friend of mine asked me if I could try and find him a lease. I already own my own farm, and lease up 400 acres. I am curious if any of you all know of any leases in Ohio or suggestions on where to look.

Thanks!

Wildlife Consulting
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 AM
QDMA Member

www.nationalhuntingleases.com

Check us out at www.thecountrylodge.com

Providing affordable hunts and lodging in Gallatin and White Counties in Southern Illinois!!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Default Hln

Try "hunting lease network." They have one lease in Columbus area. If you haven't used it it is very easy to bid on. Follow their directions. Once you register (free) then follow their directions. I used them once last year and got a lease in IL. I will do it again.

Good Luck getting the one you want this fall.
Bring home tall tales and tall tines.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 PM
QDMA Member

A guy by the name of moreland has some leases on landandfarm.com for $1,000 a week
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 PM
QDMA Member

Public land is an under-utilized treasure in many states.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
QDMA Member

Scioto Land Company is the owner of what used to be Mead land. They are the single largest land owner in Ohio. They have property for lease in alot of the southern counties. Most of the land is rugged foothills of the appalachia with good genetics. They are slowly selling the properties off in lieu of leasing them but there are still leases to be had. I believe they are an equity investment company looking to turn a dollar on the land. They purchased thousands of acres for low cost per acre. My only interaction with them was through offers and counter offers when I was attempting to purchase a piece of their property.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM

www.basecampleasing.com/ they always seem to have a few leases in ohio. They seem a bit higher priced than if you go though someone local but worth checking it out imo.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklett View Post
Scioto Land Company is the owner of what used to be Mead land. They are the single largest land owner in Ohio. They have property for lease in alot of the southern counties. Most of the land is rugged foothills of the appalachia with good genetics. They are slowly selling the properties off in lieu of leasing them but there are still leases to be had. I believe they are an equity investment company looking to turn a dollar on the land. They purchased thousands of acres for low cost per acre. My only interaction with them was through offers and counter offers when I was attempting to purchase a piece of their property.

Huge gamble too........I know a guy that has a 900 acre lease with them and they recently stripped more than half of it. So now their 20+ members are stuck on 400 acres...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darron View Post
Huge gamble too........I know a guy that has a 900 acre lease with them and they recently stripped more than half of it. So now their 20+ members are stuck on 400 acres...

I ended up passing on the property when they accepted my offer with a contingency that they maintain 50% mineral rights. My original offer was for 100% mineral rights. I asked them to disclose any information they had concerning minerals on the property, and I would consider raising my price. They had no basis for this other than speculation.

You make a good point. All of the property that I saw that was listed for sale had at least some areas that were recently cut. I think they are logging to show some return on their investment until they actually sell their properties. As long as they are not stripping all of the trees this would help the habitat in a year or two. It probally made it tough hunting for the group you describe the year that it was logged.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 PM
QDMA Member

Also, I don't see any 'pot stirring' with a thread like this?? Maybe in the wrong spot, but perfectly ok in my eyes.

Check us out at www.thecountrylodge.com

Providing affordable hunts and lodging in Gallatin and White Counties in Southern Illinois!!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuffy View Post
Also, I don't see any 'pot stirring' with a thread like this?? Maybe in the wrong spot, but perfectly ok in my eyes.

Mcduffy, by that I just met with leasing some people, specially in Ohio get so pissed about leasing they hate it! They do not wanna talk about it, all they suggest is to hunt the public land. I agree with them in some cases, but in other cases leasing is really nice.

I just didnt wanna start a debate of public land vs leasing.

Wildlife Consulting
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM
QDMA Member

From what I have seen of the Scioto Land Co. they do not believe in trees. They have raped several hundred acres near me.

For them it is all about $ with no consideration of what is best for the land.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
From what I have seen of the Scioto Land Co. they do not believe in trees. They have raped several hundred acres near me.

For them it is all about $ with no consideration of what is best for the land.

I again do not want to start a debate regarding a company, but I can not disagree with your statement. I am pretty sure they owned near me, and well it is now just about 800 acres of clear cut to the dirt. This spring did get a nice amount of rain tho, so the thicket has began to grow fairly well!

Wildlife Consulting
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter10 View Post
Hey all, not trying to stir the pot.

Good friend of mine asked me if I could try and find him a lease. I already own my own farm, and lease up 400 acres. I am curious if any of you all know of any leases in Ohio or suggestions on where to look.

Thanks!

Hi Buckhunter10, I run a small hunting lease business out of SW Ohio. Don't know if I can plug my own business???? So PM me and I'll give you my website info.

I know what you mean though by stiring the pot. Some welcome the idea of leasing and others hate it! I've posted leases on some other forums and get replies from guys dying to find a good place to hunt and others who insist I'm vermin and should be burned at the stake.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey1982 View Post
I've posted leases on some other forums and get replies from guys dying to find a good place to hunt and others who insist I'm vermin and should be burned at the stake.

To each their own.