Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 AM

Default When to plant brassicas?

When is the best time to plant Brassicas? I live in Tennessee and have never planted brassicas so any help would be great. What is a good brassica mix to plant? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 AM

First part of sept is good here , late august if we have rain.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackmaster View Post
First part of sept is good here , late august if we have rain.

You need to post your location. Everyone needs to ID where they are. Location is extremely relevant to all aspects of deer and habitat management.
Sorry, but participants in this Forum that don't post at least the state they live is a pet peeve of mine. It should be a Forum requirement to post your location on this site.

As far as when to plant brassica, take the "days to mature" of the specie of brassica and count backwards from the date of the normal first frost FOR YOUR AREA.
For example, Groundhog Radish takes at least 60 days to mature. Around here, our growing season is done by early-mid october. I plant radish by early august. Most of the brassica varieties sold by Welters take an average of 90 days to mature. Do the math. Count backward from the end of your growing season and you have your planting date.

Last edited by Tap : 06-04-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 AM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

Figure out avg first frost and back up 60 days min. Everything I plant is about 60 days. Risk them not fully maturing planting too late. Some of the shot plot mixes are quick maturing in the 45 day range. Some northern areas require Jul, Aug is pretty safe mid and sept can work for southern states.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap View Post
You need to post your location. Everyone needs to ID where they are. Location is extremely relevant to all aspects of deer and habitat management.
Sorry, but participants in this Forum that don't post at least the state they live is a pet peeve of mine. It should be a Forum requirement to post your location on this site.

As far as when to plant brassica, take the "days to mature" of the specie of brassica and count backwards from the date of the normal first frost FOR YOUR AREA.
For example, Groundhog Radish takes at least 60 days to mature. Around here, our growing season is done by early-mid october. I plant radish by early august. Most of the brassica varieties sold by Welters take an average of 90 days to mature. Do the math. Count backward from the end of your growing season and you have your planting date.

TAP,
I was responding to the original post not asking for a " vent" on your pet peeve. The original post says he lives in Shelby Co TN, which is West of me about 100 mi, so I assume that is the location he is wanting to plat. That is the reason I referred to "here" . Since I do food plots in three different states, even if I had my home location posted, it would have been irrevelant , maybe even misleading to the original post. So the next time you feel like being critical to someone you do not know, think about it, but keep it to yourself. We are all here to have fun and hopefully learn something.

Last edited by rackmaster : 06-04-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackmaster View Post
TAP,
I was responding to the original post not asking for a " vent" on your pet peeve. The original post says he lives in Shelby Co TN, which is West of me about 100 mi, so I assume that is the location he is wanting to plat. That is the reason I referred to "here" . Since I do food plots in three different states, even if I had my home location posted, it would have been irrevelant , maybe even misleading to the original post. So the next time you feel like being critical to someone you do not know, think about it, but keep it to yourself. We are all here to have fun and hopefully learn something.

I wasn't venting as much as suggesting. There are several folks on here that post advice, but no one can discern what region they speak of. It's pretty common on the site for folks to use info interchangeably for different regions. That is often a mistake because info doesn't always transcend areas.

Sorry man, I wasn't ripping on you, I'm just trying to improve upon the exchange of information shared on this site. Knowing where a poster lives, farms or hunts is important. When you said "here", I had no idea where you were referring. Apologies for the misunderstanding
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Banned

Location: Crow Wing County, North Central Minnesota (USDA zone 3)

^ I gotta agree with Tap. I was confused by what was said in the response....and where the information was coming from.

I also think a general location should be mandatory. Too many things depend on WHERE the information is coming from.....from planting to game laws and much more.

Not ripping anyone.....just sayin.

BTW....most brassicas are planted mid-July around here.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM

I'll be planting my brassica mix the end of Aug/first week of Sept
Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
QDMA Member

In Ohio I usually plant mine anytime after July 4th through the end of July.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
^ I gotta agree with Tap. I was confused by what was said in the response....and where the information was coming from.

I also think a general location should be mandatory. Too many things depend on WHERE the information is coming from.....from planting to game laws and much more.

Not ripping anyone.....just sayin.

BTW....most brassicas are planted mid-July around here.

I gotta go with Tap & Foggy on this. Everything depends on location. If I see a post from Florida, there ain't much I can contribute to solving the problem since I'm setting here freezing my butt off in Maine