Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
QDMA Member

Default Spraying wet weeds ok?

My tractor is going to the shop today and will out of service for a while
I really need to spray some weeds, but it rained last night (the weeds are wet right now) and it will probably rain later today. Any advice on spraying in-between the rains? I should be able to have 4-5 hours or more before the next rain, but I'm not sure if spraying on wet weeds slows the time for gly and 2,4DB to become rain fast.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
QDMA Member

Look at your labels! as far as how long before rain fast. IMO, you are better off waiting for the canopy to dry down a little for proper coverage. If you really know what you are doing you can spray some wet stuff but your potential of having it run off target plants is greater. Damp is different than wet.

Another consideration is between storms it is usually too windy to spray. You have to think about spray drift and volitization of the 2-4-DB. As it dries the vapor produced can drift causing damage to non target plants. All theses problems are made worse by high humidity

Last edited by Smallplot : 05-02-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Tap the main problem with spraying wet vegetation is the dilution of your herbicide. Even a light dew can add up to ALOT of water per acre thus really diluting your mixture. I'd definitely wait till the vegetation dries. I find myself quite often waiting for the morning dew to burn off before spraying.
As far as spraying in-between rains depends on the herbicide......I know gly is touted as being rain fast in 2 hours. I've sprayed many times between rains......thunderstorms......but the sun aided in drying the vegetation quickly thus allowing me an opportunity to get a quick coat of gly on it before the next storms popped.
I think the sun will pop today and dry things out for you and you'll be able to put some chemicals down.

Dan
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Gly is about an hour. I can spray gly in beans or corn at min 20 minutes before a rain. I push the window a lot but I have a lot of acres to cover. I wouldn't spray plants that are already wet. Let them dry and then spray.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
QDMA Member

Had a good day. It wasn't as wet as I was expecting, just damp. I got all my spraying done, the rain missed us, so far and the shop is picking-up my piece of junk any time now. Otherwise, a pretty good day