Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Default Dunstan Chestnuts at some Wal-marts

I received an e-mail from Realtree nurseries that their Dunstan Chestnut trees were now being sold at some Wal-marts. You can find out which stores have them by going to the realtree web site. I bought four trees yesterday, $24.95 each. The trees look great!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM

My local walmart is supposed to have them. I called and they only have the crab apples. I might go this weekend and get a couple. I was hoping they had the chestnuts
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM

Got 3 today and a sawtooth. Met a guy who drove over 2 hours from Syracuse to buy them.
They do look good. Looking forward to getting them in the ground.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM

"My" Walmart got their delivery last night. Maybe 20? dunstans plus the others. I took home four choice ones - all over 6 foot tall over the pot. Three have catkins.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 PM

Can anyone post some pictures of these?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 AM
QDMA Member

Yes sir, got mine Monday.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmgr409 View Post
Got 3 today and a sawtooth. Met a guy who drove over 2 hours from Syracuse to buy them.
They do look good. Looking forward to getting them in the ground.

Mark I stopped and checked this past Saturday and didn't see any . They must have arrived since. Where than any left
I'll be up Friday thru Sunday so I'll run over Walmart and check.
If they're sold out I'll stop at Lowes and grab 2 more Keiffers
Hopefully some well needed rain this weekend.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM

Wish they had them closer to me. Might have to make a couple hour trip to pick a couple up.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Drove 1 1/2 hr to the closet Walmart that had them in Chippewa, Pa. I picked up 10 of them. Cutt
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Default Thanks!

I went to bed this evening. Checked the forum and saw this thread. Got out of bed and dressed. Drove 30 minutes and bought the last three they had! I got a 9 footer and two five feet tall or so. My wife says she is going to have me committed tomorrow morning so you might be able to buy my trees from her by late afternoon!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deertrainer View Post
Yes sir, got mine Monday.

How many did your store have? I got the sense ours may have only had six to eight to start with.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Note the trees stacked and shrink wrapped on the pallets in the background. Looks like the batch on the right are sawtooths that haven't been cracked open yet.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 PM
QDMA Member

They stocked each store with 35 each Dunstan Chestnuts and Sawtooth oaks. That's what is seen in the unwrapped pallet in Deertrainers pic.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 AM
QDMA Member

Nearest store to me is almost 4 hours away. I'll just wait and pick some up at the Land & Wildlife Expo. Anyone ordered trees this size from them? What did freight cost to get them to your location?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 AM
QDMA Member

You cant order trees that size from them. I ordered 10 dunstan seedlings and paid darn near what walmart is charging with shipping..... The nearest walmart in almost 4 hours from me so I guess I am going to just plant my seedlings. I really wish they had them closer to me! I would love to start my orchard with trees that big!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSupersportsman View Post
You cant order trees that size from them.
Oh, now... Sure you can. You just gotta get the right person on the phone and talk sweet to'em. If WalMart can get a pallet shipped to them and sell them for $25, and make a profit, then I can get a pallet for comparable price, delivered ($25/tree). And, hopefully, cheaper than that.
I don't really have time to do it, this year, anyway. But, I'll see what I can't make happen, for next year.

Last edited by Dogwood : 04-19-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
QDMA Member

wouldnt want to miss an oportunity would ya . being the demand went so well maybe wally world will request a rush shippment of some more.

gonna check the store near us but surely they have been hit pretty good.
went last week and they either didnt have em or they were already gone will check though.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
Oh, now... Sure you can. You just gotta get the right person on the phone and talk sweet to'em. If WalMart can get a pallet shipped to them and sell them for $25, and make a profit, then I can get a pallet for comparable price, delivered ($25/tree). And, hopefully, cheaper than that.
I don't really have time to do it, this year, anyway. But, I'll see what I can't make happen, for next year.

Walmart has buying power. 50 stores x 30 trees is 1500 trees for chestnuts alone. Factor in the other stuff they are selling like sawtooths and crabs. I think you will have to buy a heck of a lot of trees to get walmart pricing.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyED View Post
Walmart has buying power. 50 stores x 30 trees is 1500 trees for chestnuts alone. Factor in the other stuff they are selling like sawtooths and crabs. I think you will have to buy a heck of a lot of trees to get walmart pricing.
Yea, I did the math. But, where there's a will, there's almost always a way. I can have buying power, too. Typically, all one needs to do to get 'dealer pricing', is be willing to make a committment to 'deal', for the supplier. I may not need 1,500+ trees, but I could compile a bulk order for those in my network of habitat junkies, and have a semi-load delivered, if so inclined. So could any of you, for that matter.
There is a blurb about coordinating group orders for QDMA Branch fund raising efforts, on the Realtree Nursery website. That option has already been made available. My Branch has done this type effort with fruit trees, from Morse Nursery, for the last two years, but we don't do it as a fund raiser; we just pass the savings on to our Branch members.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyED View Post

Ed,
Going to have to break my usual trend and disagree with you on this one. Gotta remember that Wal-mart didn't pay realtree the price per tree that they are charging in there stores. Most likely they were paid 50%-60% (if they were lucky) of what wal-mart is selling them for. RealTree would probably be thrilled to get 25 bucks a tree from Dogwood (assuming he covers shipping) compared to the $10-$15 per tree from walmart.