Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Default 3 point pto driven tractor sprayer

I have been looking for a sprayer to use to establish NWSG and trees, and I've found one that is a 3 point attach sprayer and it has a pump that is driven off the PTO. The only sprayer I have borrowed before had a pump that ran off a battery, and you simply turned the switch on/off when you wanted the sprayer to start/stop. My question is with a sprayer that has a pump driven off the PTO, how do you start/stop the sprayer? Is there a release valve or something to keep the pressure at a constant PSI while the PTO is running? Do you just turn the PTO on or off to make it start/stop spraying? Anyone used one of these before?

Also, should I buy one like this or look for one with an electical pump?

thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
QDMA Member

Great minds think alike. I am buying one of these in the next month or so:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1513...ozzle#TAB-INFO

Note the very positive reviews. Seems ideal for spraying in tight areas, just using the PTO to turn it on and off, like any other implement. The 50' of hose with the high pressure hand sprayer is nice too, for tree work.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

PTO runs all the time. There is a valve that turns the boom on and off. There is also a pressure adjustment, usually a screw type. With the boom on, the excess flow runs back into the tank serving as agitation. With the boom off, it all runs back into the tank as agitation. Unlike the electric pumps, you will have much more flow than you probably need.

My little 12' sprayer has a manual valve that you just reach back and flip to turn boom on/off. I also have a larger sprayer set up with 3 separate boom sections, all controlled by electronic valves. The boom sections and the spray pressure are controlled from the cab with a electronic control box.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 PM

In general, after the PTO pump, there will be a pressure regulator valve, which will have a bypass going back to the tank. On the line going to the boom (if you have one), you would likely have a 12 volt solenoid valve to turn the spray on/off
Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoopy View Post
Great minds think alike. I am buying one of these in the next month or so:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1513...ozzle#TAB-INFO

Note the very positive reviews. Seems ideal for spraying in tight areas, just using the PTO to turn it on and off, like any other implement. The 50' of hose with the high pressure hand sprayer is nice too, for tree work.

Are you planning to pump glyphosate? That pump (Hypro 7560C) is cast iron and not the best for pumping fertilizer and glyphosate. I would recommend the "silver" models - but they cost quite a bit more.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys. I'm always amazed at how helpful everyone is on here and there's always people out there who will have the answer no matter what questions come up on here.

The one I was looking at is a used one and it's going to be auctioned off in a week. I looked at it briefly, but I don't think there is anything electrical on it, as far as having "a 12 volt solenoid valve to turn the spray on/off" as you said Redonthehead. Is that possible, or maybe I just didn't know what to look for? Is it possible that it just has a simple switch that you move back and forth to allow the spray to come out the boom or to shut it off? I think that is what you were saying hrcarver, correct: "My little 12' sprayer has a manual valve that you just reach back and flip to turn boom on/off." Can you easily reach that while sitting on the seat of the tractor and just reach back to flip it on/off?

thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
Are you planning to pump glyphosate? That pump (Hypro 7560C) is cast iron and not the best for pumping fertilizer and glyphosate. I would recommend the "silver" models - but they cost quite a bit more.

I have tried all three grades and never been able to any difference in durability with roundup. I have also tried the highest grade pumps for fertilizer and it didn't last one season. Larger pumps do usually last longer than smaller pumps for whatever reason.

For roundup - I'd not let them freeze, keep a little oil in them to keep them from rusting up, and take my chances with the cheap one.

For fertilizer - Buy a new spare pump for when you are done, you will need it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail fanatic View Post
Thanks guys. I'm always amazed at how helpful everyone is on here and there's always people out there who will have the answer no matter what questions come up on here.

The one I was looking at is a used one and it's going to be auctioned off in a week. I looked at it briefly, but I don't think there is anything electrical on it, as far as having "a 12 volt solenoid valve to turn the spray on/off" as you said Redonthehead. Is that possible, or maybe I just didn't know what to look for? Is it possible that it just has a simple switch that you move back and forth to allow the spray to come out the boom or to shut it off? I think that is what you were saying hrcarver, correct: "My little 12' sprayer has a manual valve that you just reach back and flip to turn boom on/off." Can you easily reach that while sitting on the seat of the tractor and just reach back to flip it on/off?

thanks

I bought a 55 gal Fimco. I just open the rear window of my cab and can easily reach the valve. No problem with and open tractor either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcarver View Post
I have tried all three grades and never been able to any difference in durability with roundup. I have also tried the highest grade pumps for fertilizer and it didn't last one season. Larger pumps do usually last longer than smaller pumps for whatever reason.

For roundup - I'd not let them freeze, keep a little oil in them to keep them from rusting up, and take my chances with the cheap one.

For fertilizer - Buy a new spare pump for when you are done, you will need it.

I like to run Nutasol through my sprayer after each use. My PTO pump has been running flawlessly for years now (knock on wood).
Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
QDMA Member

I use a fimco 55 gallon 3pt type, pto driven model and I love mine. I didn't want to have to run wires or worry about another battery. I also added a wand/gun sprayer to mine as well so I can boom spray or spot spray as I need to. I have run gly and cleth through mine for 2 seasons now without an issue (just make sure you have all the water/fluid out of it during winter storage). I did have to by my pump seperately and paid about $200 just for it. I even use it to water fruit trees in the summer when they need a drink as well. I have different application tips and I like how I can vary the height based on crop/weed height or to reduce wind drift.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
QDMA Member

Rockin-G,

Thanks for the heads up! Gemplers is checking to see if I can get the XL series pump (totally corrosion resistant) as an upgrade, since it ships straight from the manufacturer.