Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 AM

Question How Much Lime ?????

Ok I have a question need a little help Im planting a 1,200 square foot food plot with a ( PH ) of 4.5 I would like to bring it up to at least 6.5 to 7 any Idea how much lime I will need soil is very sandy and little hard it is back in the woods so getting a truck load there is out of the question. So any help would be great thank you for your time
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 AM
QDMA Member

That is a pathetic pH and that is a worthless plot. If you are truely talking about a 30 x 40 foot plot that is only .027 acres. Generally about 3 to 6 tons of Ag lime would be needed to raise your pH significantly. What did your soil test tell you to add per acre?

If you use pelletized lime it is quick acting and would have to be added each year or more. My calculations would having you add 4 to 6 bags of pelletized lime at 40 lbs per bag per 1200 sq ft plot.

It is controversial about what is the ratio of ag lime to pelletized lime, but generally it is 1/10th the volume by weight for pelletized lime vs. ag lime.

43,000 sq ft per acre. Usually 6000 to 10,000 pound of Ag lime would be needed to raise your pH, but it would take some time.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDusty View Post
Ok I have a question need a little help Im planting a 1,200 square foot food plot with a ( PH ) of 4.5 I would like to bring it up to at least 6.5 to 7 any Idea how much lime I will need soil is very sandy and little hard it is back in the woods so getting a truck load there is out of the question. So any help would be great thank you for your time

How did you come about getting the PH of your soil? If you used a garden probe or PH test kit, take a soil sample and send it for a test. They are inexpensive and you will also get other needed info from the test. It is your best bet.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallplot View Post
How did you come about getting the PH of your.

Was wondering the same since a soil test should also give you lime recommendations.

Since its small and not core plot or something you need to feed your family. Somewhere between 4-5 50lb bags as a rough estimate. Not really able to know without also knowing the buffer pH and OM. Not much is going to grow in that in the short term other than rye/oats etc...
Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 AM
QDMA Sponsor Member

On something this small in size, I think a reasonable guess is OK. I'm more worried about getting 4 hours of direct sunlight on something that small than absolute optimum fertility.

I dont know the buffer pH, but from what you are telling me I can get you in the ball park for something that small. 5+ tons will do no good because it is sandy. I'd guess around 2.5-3 tons per acre is all that soil can handle, but you may have to make repeat applications.

Converted to 1200 sq ft, about 3 bags of pellet lime should get you close, and I wouldn't do more than 4 bags. Lime it now and plant in the fall.

Fertilizer is little trickier, I'm guessing around 20 or 25lbs of 10-20-20 or 6-24-24.

Last edited by hrcarver : 02-18-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDusty View Post

Dusty, personally, I wouldn't spend a $ for lime on a plot of that size. Save wood ashes each year from the fire place and use them instead...spreading evenly by dribbling from the container or from the shovel. Again, spread evenly! You get Ca, P, K, Mg and a slug of trace elements for plant growth from ashes. How much or for how long or what else you need I can't tell you based on the information you provided. If you can, supply the soil test information, the soil type, and a picture of the site (or at least desciribe the site). That will help others help you...there are at least some helpfull folks here!

Quote:
That is a pathetic pH and that is a worthless plot.

Wow, such words of encouragement to a member with only 18 posts? Rough winter up North, Steven, eh?

Good white clover read: search for 'white clover'
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1251/B1251.htm

Back-to-basics - fertilizer information
http://www.back-to-basics.net/home

Quality of Native Plant Forage Species Important to White-tailed Deer and Goats in South Central Oklahoma.
https://www.noble.org/global/ag/wild.../cdversion.pdf
Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Smile Soil test numbers Hope this will help

Ok here is what my soil test said

SOIL PH 4.6

PHOSPHORUS 11 L

CEC 4.2

CALCLUM 344 M

POTASSIUM 58 L

this is all it said so I have know Idea on how much lime to use and they all so said it was good for BlueBerrys so I guess it would be a Bear food plot thanks guys for all your imput I hunt in the Boive area in Michigan so looks like food plot is pretty much a loseing battle but thanks again
Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

With low quality soils, its hard to tell if its ppm or lb/acre

I assume those are ppm since 344 lb/a of ca isn't a M. But then again, not sure I'd call it M if its ppm. maybe a LM ;O)

For a small area like that, non pellet bag lime is pretty cheap. But thats not going to address the other missing nutrients.

I've never had much luck the areas that small other than maybe causing a deer to stop if they cross it. Would stick with rye and you should be OK and if nothing else it will look green for while. )
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

After seeing that, I stand by my prior statement. Anymore lime will not help you with a cec of 4.2. Also sticking with a half bag of 6-24-24 if you can find it.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:20 PM
QDMA Member

I like Dgallow's mention of wood ashes. With a small plot that would be great.

Dusty don't give up on the plot just because of a little bad news. While this plot may not grow a good bean crop there are still choices to plant that should grow. Rye is a good one which has been mentioned, With either the ashes or Pel lime and Fert applied every year you should get something to grow there

The only downside to a plot of this size will be a quick graze down with high deer populations once the plot is found.