Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > Bowhunters' Firepot

Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 PM
QDMA Member

Default Shooting with vision issues

Guys,
as i get older, my eyesight isn't what it was when i was 20. I can see the pins fine, but the diamond mark on my block is blurred. I don't wear glasses. I shot yesterday and my group was a little squirrely. Whats everybody else doing for this?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:01 PM
QDMA Member

Go get your eyes checked...sounds like you need glasses. I noticed that the deer would see my glasses so i now wear contacts when I hunt. I thought that maybe the deer would catch a reflexion from the lenses.

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/

http://www.godvine.com/Carrie-Underw...t-New-392.html
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 AM
QDMA Member

Age 53 with the same problem. Eyes are not that bad but there is a difference at distance and bad up close. I wear a contact in my left eye some times. If I have both in the pins are just a blurr. Shooting with both eyes open (left eye contact) helps if you are used to it. I hope some one has an answer for this!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
QDMA Member

I have always used some type of sight enhancement for distance...but a couple years ago noticed that this made it harder for me to see things up close. So, here are my choices,

1. Wear glasses for distance and wear them on top of my head when I read.

2. Wear 2 contacts and be able to see really good far away but not be able to read anything up close.

3. Wear 1 contact in my right eye and use that eye for distance and nothing in my left eye and use that eye for reading.

So, what I do is wear 2 contacts when hunting and really streatch my arms out far to read any texts that may come in.

Otherwise, I wear my glasses. I was never able to really get into the one contact idea.

I hate getting old.

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/

http://www.godvine.com/Carrie-Underw...t-New-392.html
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 AM
QDMA Member

I have this problem and I wear glasses. I can never get focused on everything at once and it drives me CRAZY!!!

Check us out at www.thecountrylodge.com

Providing affordable hunts and lodging in Gallatin and White Counties in Southern Illinois!!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM
QDMA Member

Shoot instinctive... both eyes open and look where you want to hit.
High-tech archery is way too complicated.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap View Post
Shoot instinctive... both eyes open and look where you want to hit.
High-tech archery is way too complicated.

I agree and this is how I adapted.

Good Luck getting the one you want this fall.
Bring home tall tales and tall tines.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 PM

Default I would add

I would add that I am usually shooting in the evening by the time get home chores done and practice while cooking steaks on grill. Low light and blurr with a twist in my peep sight. Usually fight for the last few shots to be able to see the target. I finally noticed if I left both eyes focused in a binocular fashion on the target Line the pine up and hits the target.

Too hot done here to shoot in the summer sun.

Good Luck getting the one you want this fall.
Bring home tall tales and tall tines.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Default helps some....

An anchor sight or no peep and shooting with both eyes open helps. Takes a while to get comfortable with the change, but is worth a try.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 PM
QDMA Member

I shoot the largest peep I can find, but the best thing I did was switch to a single pin sight. It really made a difference for me. I shot a multi pin sight for about 30 years. I now shoot a HHA single pin and love it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Corkman nailed it. Since we as bowhunters rarely know exactly how far away our target is, it doesn't make sense to "aim" using a dedicated pin for, say, 30 yards. I went to one pin about 20 years ago, set at 2 inches high at ten yards. With my current setup, I'm 2 inches low at 28 yards. When you start using one pin, you'll quickly realize you are not so much "aiming" but using the pin as a reference and the rest becomes mostly instinctual. This is optimum in a hunting situation. You'll probably still try to pick a spot and aim while shooting targets, but sooner or later you won't be doing this while hunting. You won't need to concentrate on the pin, only the animal, and this will eliminate the eysight issues. Tap is correct, as well, but the one pin technique is a nice 'bridge" to going completely instinctual.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
QDMA Member

You should definitely be shooting with both eyes open but there is also something called a clarifier that goes in a scope sight that target shooters use all the time to clear up the pins. I've never used one as (knock on wood) I haven't had the need so I'm not sure of the effectiveness in a hunting situation but it would be worth looking into IMHO.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM

Default Glasses

If anyone is in need of glasses I had prescription sportsmans glasses made and they are great, really good in low light...awesome for bow hunting, wish i would have had them 3-4 years ago!

Check with your eye doctor
Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
You should definitely be shooting with both eyes open but there is also something called a clarifier that goes in a scope sight that target shooters use all the time to clear up the pins. I've never used one as (knock on wood) I haven't had the need so I'm not sure of the effectiveness in a hunting situation but it would be worth looking into IMHO.

I should have added that I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed, shooting with both eyes open is not an option for me. I should have learned to shoot left handed years ago, but I'm just hard headed I guess.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:32 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood11 View Post
If anyone is in need of glasses I had prescription sportsmans glasses made and they are great, really good in low light...awesome for bow hunting, wish i would have had them 3-4 years ago!

Check with your eye doctor

Hardwood ... Can you provide more details on these?

I would also say stay away from bi-focals ... went to them about 3 years ago and do not like them for bow hunting. Instead of looking with your eyes and keeping your head still, you end up having to move your headto look down.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Tree spud -they are amber tinted I don't knowing else, almost like shooting glasses but they have my prescription
Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkman View Post
I should have added that I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed, shooting with both eyes open is not an option for me. I should have learned to shoot left handed years ago, but I'm just hard headed I guess.

I switched to left handed bow, rifle, and shotgun shooting about 40 plus years ago. But the right hand still works, I shot my heaviest buck with the right (rifle). He was on my back side.

I now have a scope and crossbow for bow hunting. , but I have not shot at a deer in three years with the bow.

NRA Life Member
Muskies, Inc. Life Member
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 AM
QDMA Member

Default vision

your pin should be in focus and your target should be a blur, even with 'perfect' vision. i dont have perfect eyesight, thats why i love to bowhunt.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 PM
QDMA Member

Thanks for the input guys. Guess i better go see an eye doctor!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillshabita View Post
your pin should be in focus and your target should be a blur, even with 'perfect' vision. i dont have perfect eyesight, thats why i love to bowhunt.

This is the exact opposite of how I was taught. I always maintain a visual on the target with the pin secondary but I shoot single pin and I am shooting a hybrid of instinctual shooting.

Last edited by Ohio Darin : 02-12-2012 at 11:39 PM.