Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
QDMA Member

Default Growing Chestnut Trees from Chestnuts

I have really enjoyed following the thread on growing oaks from acorns and since it is the beginning of the slow winter season here in PA, I figured I'd start one on growing chestnut trees. Whether you have Americans, Chinese, Hybrids or A. Chinkapins, chestnuts are one of the best mast trees you can have. They are nutritious, they reliably produce crops since they flower after the flower killing frosts are past, they are precocious nut producers, they drop their nuts during archery season and they are highly preferred by deer. I started growing chestnuts from seed about 4 years ago and have slowly improved the quality of my seedlings by fine tuning fertilizer rates and growing medium. Currently, I am starting them in large Jiffy pellets or 18 cell Rootmaker containers. The growing medium I use in the Rootmakers is a 50/50 Promix and Coir mix. I start them indoors as the root tips emerge which ususally occurs now through early March. After about 3 months, I transfer them to Root Trapper 1 gallon bags or 1 gallon Rootmaker pots for the remainder of the season. I use 50/50 Promix and local soil in the 1 gallon containers to keep cost down. I grew about 50 or so this year. They are Wildlife Hybrids from Empire Chestnut. The following pics were taken in early September of 2011 and all are first year seedlings.

Note that some of these1 years seedlings actually flowered their first year. I think there may be something to claims that root pruning enhances the precociousnous of some mast trees.

Root mass

Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 PM
QDMA Member

Excited about this thread

I have mine in the fridge and put them in miracle grow potting soil in a zip lock bags. I put them in around Christmas. Should I not see roots till March? Or should I expect to see roots much sooner than that?
I have read it can take 2-4 months, but need some re-assurance this is what suppose to be happening.....or not happening :-)
My plan is to transplant them into rm trays when they show life.

I have dunstans going, if that makes a difference

"Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth. Give a man a keyboard and a user name and he will act like an absolute dill hole"
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
QDMA Member

Nice info Grapevine. Thank you for sharing.

Do you have any photos of your 4 year old trees? Are they producing and how much did they produce this year?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 PM

i got some dunstan chestnuts this year.. i put all but three in the fridge.. left those out in dirt.. all three have sprouted...so I am pulling them all out to start growing..
Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
QDMA Member

Bigeight - 2 -3 months of time in the fridge is usually when I see them start to sprout. I have some sprouting now and they were picked and placed in the fridge in early November. I'll post some pics of what I have going so far this year later.

NH Mountains - I can get some photos of some of the 4 year trees later this week. About 50% of those trees produced chestnuts this year - light crops - about a dozen on each tree. None of those produced flowers as 1 year seedlings so I am anxious to see how last years do - they were planted out shortly after I took those pictures. Plus, the 4 year old trees were planted straight out from the 18 cell rootmaker or jiffy pellet containers and did not benefit from time spent in the 1 gallon root trapper bags.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Cool chestnut seedlings

You are a MASTER GARDENER.
Those are incredible.
Do you peel the seed first?
I have some Chinese seeds put in pots some peeled some not. I haven't had any sprout yet.
I have had good luck planting the seed right out side but have never tried them inside till now. They are fast growing.

Mathews Switchback XT, QAD Ultra-Rest Pro,Viper,Gold Tip XT

Count your Blessings not your Troubles
Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 AM

I planted chestnuts this week, and will closely follow this thread. I'd like to learn about watering, lighting, growing conditions, and other tips. I have Wildlife Chestuts planted out, from last year's efforts, and Allegheny Chinkapin from the year before. AC planted in 2008 are producing 100s of nuts per tree.

Growing chestnuts has Huge advantages.

#1 A Dunstan Chestnut Seedling is $25 while chestnut seeds are cheap.

#2 Chestnuts have rapid mast production. Some of my Allegheny Chinkapins produced nuts in just one year, and larger Chestnuts begin production in 3-4 years.

#3 Chestnuts are a reliable crop, and attract deer to the property that has them.

Great thread! Please keep it going.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 AM

The 2nd hybrid in the pics has far more American characteristics than the first one. Those 2 are great example of what to look for between the Chinese and American chestnuts.

Thanks for sharing!!! When you say you use "Pro" mix, is that the brand name or?????

How often are you watering in the rootmaker cells?
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Ahhhh, love seeing this! I have some wildlife chestnuts from Empire stratifying in the fridge right now, they went in on Nov. 1rst. I really need to get them going but am a little cramped for space right now with my oaks. Well really my oaks aren't the problem, them problem is that I decided to grow shrubs as well and that took 27 slots away from me. That isn't going so well though, so I may alter that plan and go ahead and get my chestnuts rolling here pretty quick. I will post up some pics when I do.

Those are really impressive for one year seedlings.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 AM

YIKES!!!!!!!

Glad I read this thread, it made me go look at my chestnuts. They are sprouting like mad, went in the fridge Nov. 4th. Looks like I am planting NOW. I am going to have plenty though, anyone need a few Wildlife Chestnuts from Empire? Speak quick if you do. I have about 1/3 sprouters right now, I am sure the rest will kick off like mad when they come out of the cold.