Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM
nyplotter's Avatar
nyplotter nyplotter is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 1,019
Default

I wonder how this thing would work going over last years corn plots... Would be nice if it chopped up and incorporated the old dried down stocks and re-planted beans or something at the same time.
__________________
>>>---------->
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
BSK_ BSK_ is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 7,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveCreek View Post
Shallow chisel plow with depth wheels, combined with Chemical burn down, is about as good as it gets on rocky ground.

This is exactly what we've found.
__________________
Nashville, TN
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Alpha Doe's Avatar
Alpha Doe Alpha Doe is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pike County, Illinois (USDA Zone 5b)
Posts: 5,203
Default

I can't seem to find a picture of it all broke down in sections. Is the first part a reverse tine tiller? Does it do something different than a reverse tine tiller? Did you get the long live weeds wrapped around the tines? We have the Land Pride reverse tine tiller and we tilled live, tall weeds and also freshly mowed corn stalks and had to keep cleaning the tine area out.
__________________

In a world where you can be anything...be yourself!

You can agree with me...or you can be wrong

Swallowing words before you say them is much better than having to eat them afterwards.

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/

http://www.godvine.com/Carrie-Underw...t-New-392.html
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Drop-time's Avatar
Drop-time Drop-time is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schuyler co. Illinois
Posts: 1,023
Default

That looks like quite a machine dl, and you outta have some nice plots. Ill bet a fella could make his investment back (in a few years) if he was to hire out plot work in this area. Seems everyone is puttin in plots. I would be a little concerned with the stirrin up the seedbank, but if wouldnt be as much of an issue for annuals I guess. Great pics, I too have "burnt the midnight oil" on my plots. Used to do it every summer when I worked nightshift.
__________________
"Leave it better than ya found it -and pass it on down"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSK_ View Post
I would love to give that a try on my rocks (I mean "soil").

A disk won't even scratch my ground. It's a shallow chisel-plow or nothing.

I think you might be suprised BSK. I talked to them on Tuesday evening as THEY CALLED ME to inquire how it worked out. What company do you know does this type of service call anymore?

They had a guy use it on rocky soil. It spit em out from what she told me. I sent them this link and invited them into the conversation. If you have any specific question, I will post up their information. Worthy of looking into for sure BSK!
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:35 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplotter View Post
I wonder how this thing would work going over last years corn plots... Would be nice if it chopped up and incorporated the old dried down stocks and re-planted beans or something at the same time.


By the way it took our weed and TREES" and chopped them up and put them under the soil, I would say a year old corn plot would be a piece of freakin cake!

I would say with 100% positive, it would take your challenge and laugh at it while at the same time planting beans behind it!
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Doe View Post
I can't seem to find a picture of it all broke down in sections. Is the first part a reverse tine tiller? Does it do something different than a reverse tine tiller? Did you get the long live weeds wrapped around the tines? We have the Land Pride reverse tine tiller and we tilled live, tall weeds and also freshly mowed corn stalks and had to keep cleaning the tine area out.

Alpha, I never got off the tractor 1 time in a total of 6-7 acres and pulled anything out of it. I am not kidding when I say the weeds were 6 to 8 foot tall. Again, (and the people were shocked when I told them this) I was eating through 2 year old cotton wood and willow as thick as grass. I am not kidding! I was AMAZED!!!!

I picked up 2 rocks out of my plots that were as big as trophy rocks that it spit out on top. It is almost like it seperates the bad stuff, rolls under the good stuff and leaves a perfectly seeded food plot!

I strongly urge you to call them and get a brochure at the least. I am sure they will share the pictures of the design with you. It is more than just a reverse tiller!
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:45 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop-time View Post
That looks like quite a machine dl, and you outta have some nice plots. Ill bet a fella could make his investment back (in a few years) if he was to hire out plot work in this area. Seems everyone is puttin in plots. I would be a little concerned with the stirrin up the seedbank, but if wouldnt be as much of an issue for annuals I guess. Great pics, I too have "burnt the midnight oil" on my plots. Used to do it every summer when I worked nightshift.

You know, someone mentioned that when I said we were going to try it with native warm season grass plantings. We will be doing this on existing ag fields, so the weed seed beds should be pretty clean in the first place.
Also, it can't be much different than discing or plowing a field as far as disturbing weed seed beds.

For the clover plot, we will have weeds come up, but they will die with the cold, the clover will go dormant and come spring, we will keep this one mowed (easier to get to as not a wet area to have to go through to get to it).

Good to know someone else has planted and worked up ground in the dark. I have to admit, I would cast shadows with the tractor light and sometimes it would freak me out. Our property is in the middle of nowhere and I was in the middle of the middle of nowhere! Just had that feeling I was being watched! Just got the chills thinking about it.

Yes, I also think the investment would pay for itself in the long run. If you can't tell, I am excited about this product!

Still trying to get the video off my phone!
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 PM
AthensCoOhio's Avatar
AthensCoOhio AthensCoOhio is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: WV-Athens Ohio Zone 6b
Posts: 289
Default Great Info

Thanks for the info deerlover. I saw them at the QDMA show a couple of years ago and it looked like quality construction. I've been thinking about a great plains no till but this looks to fit my needs more.
__________________
Hickory Hills Farm
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Alpha Doe's Avatar
Alpha Doe Alpha Doe is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pike County, Illinois (USDA Zone 5b)
Posts: 5,203
Default

Are you renting this or doing trials for them?
__________________

In a world where you can be anything...be yourself!

You can agree with me...or you can be wrong

Swallowing words before you say them is much better than having to eat them afterwards.

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/

http://www.godvine.com/Carrie-Underw...t-New-392.html
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 PM
winterquartersmgr's Avatar
winterquartersmgr winterquartersmgr is offline
QDMA Sponsor Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: tensas parish, lousiana
Posts: 1,913
Default

This is a neat deal but I am still sticking with my 1006 great plains no-till drill. I think this fits the nitch for the small plotter but for me I don't think I would ever get 350-450 acres planted with that deal. I am impressed that it turns all that stuff under like it does.
__________________
Justin F.

Certified Deer Steward 1
Certified Deer Steward 2
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Doe View Post
Are you renting this or doing trials for them?
my buddies dad where he works bought one and they let us test it out. I would love to get one to continue trials! We put in so many food plots I could really give these things a work out. I wil post their contact information tomorrow.
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM
BSK_ BSK_ is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 7,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerlover View Post
I think you might be suprised BSK. I talked to them on Tuesday evening as THEY CALLED ME to inquire how it worked out. What company do you know does this type of service call anymore?

They had a guy use it on rocky soil. It spit em out from what she told me. I sent them this link and invited them into the conversation. If you have any specific question, I will post up their information. Worthy of looking into for sure BSK!

Only chisel-plowing 4-inches deep, we turned up rocks the size of coffee tables. It took two people to flip them end-over-end out of the field.

We tried disking our plots once. Just once. The brand-new disk was destroyed in under 8 hours.
__________________
Nashville, TN
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-19-2011, 05:07 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSK_ View Post
Only chisel-plowing 4-inches deep, we turned up rocks the size of coffee tables. It took two people to flip them end-over-end out of the field.

We tried disking our plots once. Just once. The brand-new disk was destroyed in under 8 hours.

Yeah, then this is not the machine for you! Double EEK!
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-19-2011, 05:09 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

For those interested, here is the contact information that they sent to me, as promised:

Our website is www.butlerent.com and we can be reached at 731-285-8358 or bequip6@gmail.com, Janelle and Henry
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 PM
npaden's Avatar
npaden npaden is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,970
Default

Bringing this back up from the dead.

Any updates on this machine?

I'm considering getting one for this spring. I have some NWSG to plant and would like to put in some new food plots this year in areas where the fire cleared things up. I've got a check from the railroad burning a hole in my pocket and just might be able to justify spending the $ on one.
__________________
Live on 60 Acres in Lubbock County, Texas. Hunt on 160 Acres in Fisher County, Texas.

1996 Kubota L4200 Tractor with Loader, 8' disc, 6' rotary mower, 7' box blade, 14' grain drill, 2 row planter, 400lb broadcast spreader, single point chisel plow.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

It is truly a great machine. All of ou foodplots turned out perfect this fall with the one pass. Call them up, you will not be disappointed!
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 PM
mikmaze's Avatar
mikmaze mikmaze is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cedar Grove New Jersey
Posts: 1,459
Default

that machine reminds me a lot of a roto dairon tiller, with a brillion seeder in tow. I used one to reno many acres of compacted soils for re establishing lawns. Talk about a power hog, but man did it do a job. Wish I could get my hands back onto that attachment, and had a tractor big enough to run it.
__________________
'91 John Deere 1070 40 hp diesel 8' disc, 2 bottom plow, 8'york rake, 6 foot brush hog, 55 gallon home made sprayer
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Dogwood's Avatar
Dogwood Dogwood is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western IL
Posts: 2,919
Default

Deerlover, you said the tractor you were using was about 50hp? Can you confirm that? What kind of hp does it take, at the PTO, and was your tractor FWD/4x4? It may be a few years before I could even think about shopping for an implement like this, but I'm really hoping to purchase a tractor this year, and I would like to make sure that I don't limit my options for future implements, by buying a tractor that is just slightly undersized. I was thinking a diesel 4x4, in the neighborhood of 50hp (engine), but, lately, a lot of folks have me thinking that I could do with 40-45 hp, for what I plan to use it for (moving snow in the winter; grading a gravel driveway; pushing brush/downed tree tops, when doing TSI; mowing 4-5 acres of clover/firebreaks; and, 4-5 acres of plotting.) In the next ten years, I hope to buy another/additional property(ies), and, if I do, I'd certainly expand the number of acres I'd be plotting, a good deal. And, if I had the right equipment, I might consider planting plots, for hire. Presently, I don't own any of my own equipment. So, starting off, I want to make sure that I buy what will suit me down the road, and not just what I can get by with, this season.
__________________
Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. -Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by Dogwood : 02-21-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
deerlover's Avatar
deerlover deerlover is offline
QDMA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
Deerlover, you said the tractor you were using was about 50hp? Can you confirm that? What kind of hp does it take, at the PTO, and was your tractor FWD/4x4? It may be a few years before I could even think about shopping for an implement like this, but I'm really hoping to purchase a tractor this year, and I would like to make sure that I don't limit my options for future implements, by buying a tractor that is just slightly undersized. I was thinking a diesel 4x4, in the neighborhood of 50hp (engine), but, lately, a lot of folks have me thinking that I could do with 40-45 hp, for what I plan to use it for (moving snow in the winter; grading a gravel driveway; pushing brush/downed tree tops, when doing TSI; mowing 4-5 acres of clover/firebreaks; and, 4-5 acres of plotting.) In the next ten years, I hope to buy another/additional property(ies), and, if I do, I'd certainly expand the number of acres I'd be plotting, a good deal. And, if I had the right equipment, I might consider planting plots, for hire. Presently, I don't own any of my own equipment. So, starting off, I want to make sure that I buy what will suit me down the road, and not just what I can get by with, this season.


Sure, I just sent my buddy a text message to the model number of his tractor, so you can look up all the specs on it. I do know it is a John Deere 4wd tractor..newer model. It did take us putting about 500lbs of weights on the front of it as well, but that was because we had to climb a pretty big hill to get it to this food plot areal.
__________________
You'll never know unless you let them grow!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.