Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM
QDMA Member

Default The absolute best food plot machine ever!

OK, over the weekend, I had a chance to use the Butler all in one food plot machine! This piece of machine is pictured in your QW every issue and it shows a picture of a tractor pulling an implement through 4+ foot tall weeds and behind it, shows a garden like prepared seed bed.

Fancy editing right? WRONG!

This machine was unreal to say the least. I had around a 50 hp tractor and the machine was 6 foot wide. With about 500 lbs of weight added to the front of the tractor, it worked just fine. I think a 75 hp tractor would be better, but I worked with what I had!

So, first test, up to the 8 acre field to plant the middle. Got up there and just as suspected 6 foot plus weeds throughout. So, started messing with the settings, put the seed in the box, put the PTO on and we were off! Check out the first pass!

Keep in mind too, we have only had 2 inches of rain up there in the past month with multiple 100 degree days. This works on a reverse tiller, takes the weeds and stuff on top, rotates it under the soil for it to rot and create great organic matter. Then, it rotates a seeder in the back and drops seed just perfectly and then there is a cultipacker on back that pressed the seed into the ground.

1 pass food plot! Now, I wasn't breaking any land speeds, but I know it would have taken several hours if not days and implements to get done what I did in one pass. Not to mention, where this is located, I don't think I could have gotten any wider of a piece of equipment up there.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM
QDMA Member

Now for the second test! We have a bottom piece that we wanted to incorporate a new 2+ acre clover field in. Field has not been touched in 2 years and was grown up in sappling cotton wood, willow and sycamore, as well as 6 foot tall grasses. I am not talking about a sappling here and there, I am talking about trees that are 8 feet tall, and growing as thick together as grasses!

It rained on Saturday late afternoon, so I ran to town to get diessel and something to eat, came back and checked the rain guage, 1.5 inches. So my dilema, go see if this machine will work or forget about it. Nope, it was 7pm, and I had nothing else better to do, so off I went. By the time I got down there, got everything set up, it was probably 7:30. I finished at 10:30pm with about 3 acres of new clover!

Here is a picture with the tractor in the background on Sunday morning when I went to check on it. It was a bit muddy in a couple spots so there was 1 strip where I wasn't pleased, but it was operator error and since it was dark out, it was hard to fix my mistake(you can see it on the right of the picture), but again, this was 1 pass and it looked as thick as behind the tractor before I started!

What a difference in the color of dirt from the top field to the bottom. To the left past the trees is a creek that runs all year. Found a perfect killing tree too!

Should be a killer clover field!!!

Oh yeah and it was freaking eiry out there by myself, full darkness other than the light of the full moon as it rose above the tree tops and my tractor beams on high!

Last edited by deerlover : 08-16-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: fixed verbiage
Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 PM
QDMA Member

Last post:

Since it was so wet this year, we had 3 clover fields that we could not get to in order to mow. Well, when I got there, they were pretty grown up to say the least! But this happened to us last year and we mowed it and it came back as green as the best clover field I have ever laid eyes on! I am hoping for the same results! This clover field is in the same bottom as the new one, but about a mile away through all that grown up grass and trees! Last year at the end of Oct, it was full of bucks checking all the does using it. We are hoping the new plot will seperate the deer even more!

We will now have a total of about 8 acres of clover, 10 acres of standing beans and 4 acres of some of Don's RWW seed blends of oats, wheat, etc... with some turnips sprinkled on top!

With cooler temps and a good rain Saturday, I bet this clover in 2 weeks will be a lush carpet of clover once again!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
QDMA Member

WOW,

That is unbelievable. I never would have thought one pass would look like that. Talk about a time saver

I need to win the Lottery as I know that has to be one expensive piece of equipment.

Looks good Deerlover
Old 08-15-2011, 02:02 PM

Deerlover, thanks for the testimonial. My wife and I walked past that machine at the QDMA show and wondered about it.

Wondering what kind of seed sizes it will handle? I could see using it for brassicas and milo. How do you adjust seed rate and seed depth?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
QDMA Member

Seed depth is a tricky one and one I didn't really figure out. Since we borrowed it for the weekend (and first to break it in), I didn't have the seed chart, but called the wonderful people who sell it (they were at the QDM show because I called them and bothered them with a couple questions - nice people!!!) to find out the seeding rates, etc...

I know it will handle clover seed, it did the oats/wheat/pea mixture just fine. It doesn't really cover all the seed, but it does press it into the ground nicely. No different than broadcasting and running over it with a cultipacker.

The machine is expensive, but if you think about it, add up the cost of your disc, planter, cultiplacker, mower, etc... Not to mention the great service you are doing to your soil by adding all that organic matter underneath the plants. Also, the fuel savings for 1 pass vs multiple. For us too, it was one maching and the tractor that we hauled an hour to the property. If not, it would have been 2 trucks, 2 trailers, 2 tractors, disc and drill and then we would have had no room for the brush hog (which I used to mow the clover fields).

Also, we are hoping to get it this spring to plant our native warm season grasses with it when we put in CP33!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:11 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerlover View Post
Also, we are hoping to get it this spring to plant our native warm season grasses with it when we put in CP33!

I would be curious to hear how this turns out with NWSG. Please be sure to follow up and post if you do go this route. Can the machine handle some of the bigger fluffy NWSG seeds.

As one who has done both tilled NWSG & Forb planting and no-till plots. I dont know that we will ever do another till plot on our farm. Once you disturb all that soil there is a good chance you will be battling a lot of additional weeds that were in the seed bank during the establishment years. I will be curious to hear how this machine works though! Good luck!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
QDMA Member

I did a search for Butler but didn't find anything. Do they have a wed site??
Old 08-15-2011, 03:17 PM

I goggled soil renovater and there are several different brands.Most of the prices I saw mentioned was 6,000 for small walk behind to 19,000,but they sure look neat
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooln View Post
I did a search for Butler but didn't find anything. Do they have a wed site??

I believe this is it: http://www.butlerent.com/
Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM

http://www.butlerent.com/index.html

11,900$ for the 5 footer
Old 08-15-2011, 03:37 PM
QDMA Member

I said it was costly! I didn't buy one, wish I had one, but I can't afford one right now either.

I am no way getting paid or anything from this company, I am just giving the facts as to how well it performed under some of the roughest conditions. The picture with the tractor going right through the field is as accurate as their marketing picture and it is no hype, that thing can flat out till!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
QDMA Member

That is pretty crazy. Amazing picture!

Way expensive, but like you said, add the cost of everything separate, and it starts to make more sense.

It seems like it'd be best for someone starting out. We have everything we need now, so selling everything to buy one just seems like a lot of work.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM
QDMA Member

I took some video on my phone as well, but I doubt I can send it to download it to youtube.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM
QDMA Member

I would love to give that a try on my rocks (I mean "soil").

A disk won't even scratch my ground. It's a shallow chisel-plow or nothing.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSK_ View Post

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM

Would you recommend this machine to an incoming, fairly new plotter? As mentioned above, most plotters have most or all of the equipment they already need. Would this be worth the one large up front investment?

If it works as advertised, this would be perfect for people who live further away from their land and can't easily make it to the property very often. Omitting trips for mowing and then spraying could seem to easily justify the cost if you consider how much we regularly drop on diesel and gas.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g squared 23 View Post
Would you recommend this machine to an incoming, fairly new plotter? As mentioned above, most plotters have most or all of the equipment they already need. Would this be worth the one large up front investment?

If it works as advertised, this would be perfect for people who live further away from their land and can't easily make it to the property very often. Omitting trips for mowing and then spraying could seem to easily justify the cost if you consider how much we regularly drop on diesel and gas.

If one could afford it, I would not hesitate one bit! Your reason would be perfect!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 PM

Would be great to get 3-5 of your neighbors to split the cost.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSK_ View Post

Shallow chisel plow with depth wheels, combined with Chemical burn down, is about as good as it gets on rocky ground.

But if you test one on rock, let me know!

-----------------------------
I think this machine is a great option for someone kinda wanting an all in one, but without necessarily having to use chemicals. No-till drills are great, but I know some are strongly against (they themselves) using chemicals, and I can understand that.