Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 08-25-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Terpack View Post
This is a very enjoyable thread. Thanks a lot.

I had an older Uncle that used to make strawberry wine every year for Christmas. He gave it to all his kin as presents. I miss it a lot.

What is the difference between wine and brandy. I have been told that all brandies are wine, but not all wines are brandy.

Keep the info coming, we are trying a lot of the recipes.

Thanks Jack, I appreciate it.......

I believe brandy is just a good bit more potent than wine but the couple of wine making books that I read really didn't go into much detail about it so I really don't know for sure. I do remember it saying that most table wines are about 10-11% alcohol and brandies are 15-18%. I made mine about 15% or so. It didn't have an overbearing taste or anything especially if you got it really cold.

I had really good intentions of giving some to my family for a Christmas present as well but that is not looking so promising. I gave a couple of gallons away to some friends and have sipped on a glass or two myself. I can't promise for sure how much is going to come back from the upcoming river trip we're about to take. Next summer.....it's watermelon wine for sure.

P.S........If you make the blackberry pie, cook your blackberries down a little first in a pot with your sugar and you'll get a better filling. My blackberries weren't juicy enough. Also, make it lot easier on yourself and just buy a Pillsbury pie crust. They are really just about as good.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Alright, here's the process and finished product. I won't go into too much detail since the process is basically the same as the other jellies. One thing to note is that you will not use SureJell in this recipe.

Start by peeling your pears and cutting them up......

Once you get them sliced up.....place them in a pot on the stove. Add a little water just to keep the bottom from burning at first and begin to cook them down. Add in 7 cups of sugar for every 8 cups of fruit. Once they begin to slowly boil, cut the heat down and allow them to simmer for about 30 minutes or until they get tender. Don't over do it or they will turn to mush.

You'll come out with something that looks like this. There's more syrup in there than what it looks like. All the pears are just hiding it underneath.

Have some canning jars reay and fill'em up. This stuff is awesome on a biscuit!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
This is a very enjoyable thread. Thanks a lot.

I had an older Uncle that used to make strawberry wine every year for Christmas. He gave it to all his kin as presents. I miss it a lot.

What is the difference between wine and brandy. I have been told that all brandies are wine, but not all wines are brandy.

Keep the info coming, we are trying a lot of the recipes.

Wine is fermented, brandy is distilled wine that seperates alcohol from wine, which is mostly water. How to do that is easy, but a whole nother topic.

I'm guessing that crimson n' cammo, being a country boy, can run a still, but doesn't spill his wine.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushpile View Post
Wine is fermented, brandy is distilled wine that seperates alcohol from wine, which is mostly water. How to do that is easy, but a whole nother topic.

I'm guessing that crimson n' cammo, being a country boy, can run a still, but doesn't spill his wine.

What you're calling brandy then would be the same thing as moonshine or white lightning.

Believe it or not my great uncle had a still set up in his front yard before he passed away when I was a kid. He was one of those ol' timey outlaws. The very basics is to heat it up and run the steam through some cooled copper tubing where it condenses back into a liquid. It seperates the pure alcohol from all the water that was added and is nearly pure alcohol in the end.You just have to know a little bit about "heads" and "tails" and what boils off at which temps.......or how to make a thumper box to put in-line with your tubing......so I've been told.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson n' camo View Post
Next summer.....it's watermelon wine for sure.

"Ain't but three things in this world thats worth a solitary dime, but old dogs and children and watermelon wine."

Tom T.

G
Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Figured you knew that, but don't do it cuz it's illegal.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 PM
QDMA Member

Your reply made me more curious, so I did a Google search and found a site for distillers. Turns out brandy is distilled wine.

Thanks for the info. Now I need to figure out how to build a still to distill wine.

Like I don't have enough expensive hobbies.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Your reply made me more curious, so I did a Google search and found a site for distillers. Turns out brandy is distilled wine.

Thanks for the info. Now I need to figure out how to build a still to distill wine.

Like I don't have enough expensive hobbies.

For real.....distilling it is illegal. It's kind of silly but against the law none the less. Just so you know.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Lets say there is a weather event and the only water is a puddle of mud, Real simple, take that muddy water, and put it in a pot, with a floating saucer on top. Place a wok on top, as the lid. Fill the wok with ice, and turn the heat on low. The muddy water will condense on the wok and drip into the bowl, filling it with pure/clean water. Or you could substitute muddy water for anything that needs to be distilled. In some cases the first 3rd needs to be disposed of.

Good to know if water or beverage goes bad, and could save lives.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson n' camo View Post
Here is another easy recipe using some of the bounty from all of these fruits that we're all growing. This one is blueberry preserves/syrup. I didn't grow these bluberries....my great aunt gave them to me. My one attempt at bluberries so far failed but I plan on putting some more in again one day. I've decided to focus more on trees and the larger additions now and then move down to the smaller shrubs and such once I've got the big stuff put in. Do any of you grow bluberries????

Here are some pics..........

Same basic recipe as with the plums but this time I don't strain and use the whole blueberry instead of just a stock.

Can it and it will last for a long time. I'll give most of this away to friends and family.........

I made this into a thin jelly but all you have to do is nuke it for 15-20 seconds and you've got bluberry syrup to put on your Eggo Waffle. Another good thing to use it for is an ice cream topping.

Growing blueberrys is easy. Low Ph is the key and full sun no shade.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:06 PM

Pain to pick, but none better. Frozen is better than canned.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM

Default The Watermelon Crawl: Step 1

Coming Summer 2012........Homeade Watermelon Hooch
Attached Images

Last edited by crimson n' camo : 04-24-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Default May 7

Wine is progressing nicely..........The flavor is none other than "Crimson" Sweet!!
Attached Images

Last edited by crimson n' camo : 05-07-2012 at 10:41 AM.