Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 AM
QDMA Member

Default Cedar tree root system

I planted a visual scree this spring and over 1/2 where dead within three Weeks. I had concern about the root system while planting but needed to get 500 planted in two days so I did not take any pictures. I had never planted Eastern Red Cedar bare root seedlings but had read quite a lot on these forms. These plants roots where never dry and where planted with no air pockets or J rooted. Soils have been wet and temps cool.

About 80% of the trees had a main tap root 5 to 8" long with two to three hair size roots coming off the tap root under 1" long. Does this root system sound normal for this species of tree.

Thanks BC Buck.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM
QDMA Member

That sounds like a pretty weak root system for what I see in the photo above the ground.

G
Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 AM

I planted Red Cedar from the MDC and had 100% survival. The roots were the size that could be planted with a dibble bar, but the tops were half the size of the tree in your picture. It appears you got nice sized trees but didn't get enough root.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushpile View Post
It appears you got nice sized trees but didn't get enough root.

That my friend is a common problem with transplants....sounds like that is exactly the problem with those red cedars.
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 AM

I transplant cedars in the dead of winter and I haven't lost a one and some are 4-6 ft tall dug up with a shovel.I have lost almost everyone I have moved at any other time of year.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM
QDMA Member

Bare rooting Red Cedar that size is WAY different than Transplanting a RC that size with the root ball intact

I have transplanted some absolute WHOPPERS with the soil attached to the roots, Biggest were 8' trees transplanted with a spade shovel. As long as the soil stays packed around the roots and doesn't fall apart when popping it out, You're good.

Bare rooting a bigger tree, you have to have a close root/tree ratio to ensure success.

That is why the bigger trees usually are sold potted, or balled and burlaped.

Sorry to see dead trees like that when you put that much time and effort into a planting, Hope they pull through, some good rains might bounce them back

"Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth. Give a man a keyboard and a user name and he will act like an absolute dill hole"
Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 AM

I agree but I dig mine up in the sand and 90% of the dirt falls off the roots before I get them back in the ground.I wrap to protect from drying.