Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 PM

Does anyone know where I may be able to find some sort of managment software for my pc? I bought the "Get in the Game" cd-rom from the NWTF but I am looking for something more substantial.
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-22-2004, 10:33 PM

I got the "Get in the Game" also and will agree. I'm looking for something that will give me more info then a good wildlife habitat web site and the map program it's no better then the Paint program that on every computer. They could have done less with the graphic pictures and more with plant variety and more help with starting a management plan.
I'm sure it will help me some, but I already have more info then it gives and I believe that anybody who would seriously think about buying it will to. I guess I'm just a little disappointed because their $4 "Managing Openings for Wild Turkeys" booklet tells you more and you don't have to load it into you computer.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:57 AM
QDMA Member

Unfortunately, there isn't much out there on the market. I've thought about creating "management" software several times, but never had the time (or commercial software production skills) to put the product together.

Besides, mapping software that actually does something is pretty complicated. Good ones run over $1,000.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:46 AM

Your'e right Muddy. The book that I bought with the program is really good. I do like the expense log that comes with the software. It looks like it would help hunt clubs and outfitters track their dollars spent but most of the program seems a little simple.

BSK,Do you know of any mapping programs that allow the user to mark rubs,scrapes,sheds found, visual field sightings etc. directly on an aerial map of their hunting property and then store that data over several seasons. The program could then recall all the data entered and possibly begin to show patterns of activity covering several years?
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
QDMA Member

BuckSpy,

Yes, I use it every day, but get ready to drop $2,500 for the software! The "learning curve" for using it is also a tad steep.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:28 PM

I read my last post and want to say that I'm not bashing NWTF in any way. I've been a member of most hunting groups and believe that they and the NRA are a must. I just joined the QDMA so the verdictís still out, but the forum is GREAT!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:02 PM

Muddy, I too am a member of the NRA and NWTF and you are right on about the NWTF being a well run organization. I attended our chapter banquet last Feb. where we had nearly 500 members showed up. I am just disappointed in the product they turned out.

BSK, May I ask who developed the system that you use and would it be possible, if someone could afford it, to purchase it?........ I just read your bio and now I see why you use this program everyday. Are you planning on attending the national convention this weekend?
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-23-2004, 07:27 PM
QDMA Member

BuckSpy,

Yes, I will be at the Convention.

The software I use is all Geographic Information System (GIS) software made by ESRI. You can see the software at:
http://www.esri.com/

ArcView is the cheapest, and will do a lot, but you really need Spatial Analyst to do any calculations. But it will do some amazing calculations! There will be a very simplistic example of how the software works in our article in the next issue of Quality Whitetails. But it can do some really amazing things, including producing "topo maps" of deer or buck sighting rates across a property, fawn recruitment variations across a property, and even things like comparing habitat type or measurements of habitat diversity against "spatial" calculations of deer sighting rates. These type evaluations are great for finding "what influences deer to go where they go."

I even use these software systems to track changes in deer density, buck age structure, sex ratios and individual buck ranges on individual properties using camera census data. Very cool stuff.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:11 PM

BSK,
I would be interested in discussing these things with you over the weekend. Do you could find some time Friday or Saturday?
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-24-2004, 06:45 AM
QDMA Member

I would be happy to.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:16 PM
QDMA Life Member

If you are looking for information on writing a management plan here is a link.

http://www.mosportsmen.com/nwtfhabit...htm#developing

That has two examples of plan and a detail on how to do one and also additional links for more how to write a plan or get a brochure.

Second - The best mapping software that I have found is www.terraserver-usa.com you can print off topo and aerial photos. What I do is print off topo then blow it up on a copier tape it back together then take it to a copy company that can do 18x24 copies and re run several and use that.

Also the best resource on managment is www.masterwildlifer.net with book and videos. You missed the seminar but you can still see it with the videos.

If you are a landowner and you sign up for the Woodlands program http://www.mosportsmen.com/nwtfhabit....htm#woodlands

The Hunt Club Digest has different things in it you don't normally see in magazine for managment.

Good Luck

Master Wildlifer
Deer Steward I
Deer Steward II
Deer Steward III
QDMA Life Member

Like North American Wildlife and Habitat on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...51224058415401

www.northamericanwildlifeandhabitat.com
Old 06-24-2004, 08:35 PM

Horntagger, thanks for the info. I will look into this when I get back from Michigan this weekend.
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-25-2004, 08:01 AM
QDMA Member

Terraserver is fine for producing a paper topo map or aerial photo of your hunting area, but if you want to do any calculations or link GPS data (locations of rubs, stands, trails, etc.) to the map, you're out of luck.

With high-end mapping software, you can actually link your observation and harvest data to the location it was collected from and then run "spatial" calculations from it.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:06 PM

Free tools available:

For mapping, I use GPS Trackmaker (www.gpstm.com). I download Color Infrared photos off of the USGS website, and then hook my GPS to the computer and download the info. Anything you mark with the GPS will be overlayed on the map. It takes a little while to line up the map with your GPS data. You can then go in and change tracks and waypoints to different shapes, sizes, and colors. You can't do calculations with the free version, but the Pro for $48 lets you do some. I can mark rublines, scrapes, camera locations, food plots, etc. and make some limited notes. You can export the info into a text file for analysis later. You do get the "big picture" of your property. It's pretty impressive.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:35 AM
QDMA Member

Interesting benallgood. I'll have to check that one out. For some reason, the USGS maps do not georeference correctly. That is why you need to shift the photos to get the GPS data to line up correctly.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:30 PM

I use my Garmin eTrex Legend ($200.00) with the Garmin MapSource Topo Software (100.00), I mark scrapes and give all scrapes an icon, all trails a different icon, and sightings another icon . I give them the date as a name preference (12.25.04a).

I also use it to measure plot size it has an Area calculator also, then I download to my computer , easy enough.

I know it is not exact but neither are my shots.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:31 AM

I'm new here, just joined QDMA. I am excited to find this forum and all of this usefull info. I was reading this thread and thought I would add my .02. I joined mapcard.com not long ago for $15 per year. It gives access to aerial and topo maps, if you download the java plug ins you can input gps data. Not very complicated but you have to input the data manually, one waypoint at a time. It has been helpfull for me to see where my plots are on a topo. I have also found it helpfull for property lines and corners. Question for mikeolivertx, I have been considering the garmin topo software, will it let you upload tracks from your gps onto the topo maps on your computer? Mapcard does not have this capability.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:37 AM

Ragweed,
I also have the Blue Water maps software that I use offshore and you can pre plan your route, measure distance from point to point and total distance of the run, rename and select only what you want to upload into your GPS, plus the route you went can be downloaded back to your pc after finishing......With all of that said my property falls in the boundry of the blue water maps , It does not include inshore stuff much farther in.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:42 AM

Another free program I just started to use is fGIS. It is a program made by the University of Wisconsin. It does spatial calculations, aerials, topos, arcview shapefiles, etc.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:44 AM
QDMA Member

benallgood,

I'll have to check that software out. I use primarily ArcView now, plus their Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst software. I write all my observation, harvest and photo census relational database systems in dBase so they can link directly to the ArcView software (ArcView shapefiles are just dBase databases).

Do you have a web address where I can check out the fGIS software?