Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 PM

Does anyone know where I may be able to find some sort of managment software for my pc? I bought the "Get in the Game" cd-rom from the NWTF but I am looking for something more substantial.
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-22-2004, 10:33 PM

I got the "Get in the Game" also and will agree. I'm looking for something that will give me more info then a good wildlife habitat web site and the map program it's no better then the Paint program that on every computer. They could have done less with the graphic pictures and more with plant variety and more help with starting a management plan.
I'm sure it will help me some, but I already have more info then it gives and I believe that anybody who would seriously think about buying it will to. I guess I'm just a little disappointed because their $4 "Managing Openings for Wild Turkeys" booklet tells you more and you don't have to load it into you computer.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:57 AM
QDMA Member

Unfortunately, there isn't much out there on the market. I've thought about creating "management" software several times, but never had the time (or commercial software production skills) to put the product together.

Besides, mapping software that actually does something is pretty complicated. Good ones run over $1,000.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:46 AM

Your'e right Muddy. The book that I bought with the program is really good. I do like the expense log that comes with the software. It looks like it would help hunt clubs and outfitters track their dollars spent but most of the program seems a little simple.

BSK,Do you know of any mapping programs that allow the user to mark rubs,scrapes,sheds found, visual field sightings etc. directly on an aerial map of their hunting property and then store that data over several seasons. The program could then recall all the data entered and possibly begin to show patterns of activity covering several years?
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
QDMA Member

BuckSpy,

Yes, I use it every day, but get ready to drop $2,500 for the software! The "learning curve" for using it is also a tad steep.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:28 PM

I read my last post and want to say that I'm not bashing NWTF in any way. I've been a member of most hunting groups and believe that they and the NRA are a must. I just joined the QDMA so the verdictís still out, but the forum is GREAT!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:02 PM

Muddy, I too am a member of the NRA and NWTF and you are right on about the NWTF being a well run organization. I attended our chapter banquet last Feb. where we had nearly 500 members showed up. I am just disappointed in the product they turned out.

BSK, May I ask who developed the system that you use and would it be possible, if someone could afford it, to purchase it?........ I just read your bio and now I see why you use this program everyday. Are you planning on attending the national convention this weekend?
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-23-2004, 07:27 PM
QDMA Member

BuckSpy,

Yes, I will be at the Convention.

The software I use is all Geographic Information System (GIS) software made by ESRI. You can see the software at:
http://www.esri.com/

ArcView is the cheapest, and will do a lot, but you really need Spatial Analyst to do any calculations. But it will do some amazing calculations! There will be a very simplistic example of how the software works in our article in the next issue of Quality Whitetails. But it can do some really amazing things, including producing "topo maps" of deer or buck sighting rates across a property, fawn recruitment variations across a property, and even things like comparing habitat type or measurements of habitat diversity against "spatial" calculations of deer sighting rates. These type evaluations are great for finding "what influences deer to go where they go."

I even use these software systems to track changes in deer density, buck age structure, sex ratios and individual buck ranges on individual properties using camera census data. Very cool stuff.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:11 PM

BSK,
I would be interested in discussing these things with you over the weekend. Do you could find some time Friday or Saturday?
Gateway Branch Member
Old 06-24-2004, 06:45 AM
QDMA Member

I would be happy to.