Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Default feeding corn to deer

has anyone ever heard or have knowledge of any ill effects or death associated with feeding corn to deer in Southern states
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

You won't have the same winter digestive risks, but if its used to the point they become dependent above the carrying capacity of the land and it goes away, there could be ill effects.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM
QDMA Member

Why are you feeding the deer corn? For what purpose?

"Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth. Give a man a keyboard and a user name and he will act like an absolute dill hole"
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 PM
QDMA Member

Biggest concern is for other wildlife, quail especially, that is exposed to corn used for feeding deer that is contaminated with aflatoxin. Random samples have shown fairly high levels of this contaminated corn used in automated deer feeders in Texas and other Southern states. Not as much of worry in Southern states but supplemental winter feeding with corn in the north can cause problems (acidosis) if deer are not gradually acclimated to the corn in small quantities, due to the lack of an enzyme that's required to break down the starch in corn not being present in a deer's rumen during the winter months.

In both cases, if you are going to supplementally feed deer, pelletized protein feed is a better way to go, although it's consideraby more expensive. The other alternative to supplementally feed is to plant food plots.
Concerned Sportsmen of Michigan
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
QDMA Member

I've had a gravity type corn feeder for many years and never seen any ill effects, we have a ton more browse than northern states in the winter and they will walk past a feeder full of corn for natural browse. We are allowed to hunt/have feeders in Georgia year round but in hunting season must be out of sight and 200yds away. Deer swap slober twice as much at Mineral sites or small stagnant water holes and probably no more than a small well used food plot.

I could see this might being a problem in snow coverd frozen areas where deer just stand and gourge theirselves on a corn pile in the winter but deer here will usely just pass by a feeder grab a mouthful r 2 and leave even in winter. I do like mine off the ground out of reach from coons etc., but squirrels...it cant be done!

Last edited by lone cedar farm : 02-03-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 AM

I put out corn sometimes to hunt over and in front of my cameras because it is legal to bait in FL. I just was debating with some guys and they had some crazy ideas on corn killing deer and such. Where i hunt i have seen deer let corn rot when the acorn crop starts falling. Just was wondering if anyone had heard/seen deer sick/dead from corn. I understand how it could be a problem in northern states. Thanks for in info
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Bob............
Old 02-05-2011, 09:22 AM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

Its actually not legal in FL to "bait" for hunting purposes without restriction. In order hunt over or in proximity of feed, it must be a year round feeding station on private land that has been maintained with feed for at least 6 months prior to hunting in proximity to it.

The FWC has a zero tollerance on turkey and on public land if they find someone hunting over it and am aware of few cases where someone was written up for stretching it, but its not a well written reg.

Where we are, corn brings distructive bears.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:14 PM

I think that year around feeding station or six month prior to hunting season on private land falls in springturkey season . The rule states also during turkey season and if feed is present a hunter can't be within 100 yards of a feeding station. I feed all year long not corn but either soybeans or some type of protein pellets It seems to help keep deer on my property and traveling through during the year. It also seems to help alittle in horn size and how fat the does I harvest are. just my opinion.