Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 02-03-2006, 12:24 AM
QDMA Member

Question "Taylor Pasture Dream" No-Till

I looked over a unique looking No-Till Drill today. It is 6' wide, 3 point hitch so no wheels , 7 coulter disks that are 10" spread, and it is a bit older, so no rubber hoses, etc., all metal. Anyway, I will try and post some pictures I took of it later on, but now I needed to know some information on it. I have never even heard of this brand before but it was a "Taylor Pasture Dream." Like I said it is a No-Till grain drill, but just different that all I have ever looked at so far. The guy was very reasonable in the price, it had a small seed/legume box, and everything seemed to look like it would work, he didn't hook it up so I don't know absolutely for sure. However there isn't much that looked like it could break on this thing, simplistic design.

So my questions now are what can anyone tell me about this item?? I can find little to no information on it. For starts is Taylor even still in business?? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks so much

Also, the guy said that it did have problems planting when there was alot of trash in the field.....I am not positively that this machine would do very well as a true no-till in all conditions. Anyone know?

SCH
Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 AM
QDMA Member

I'm not familiar with it, so can't help you much. My concern with a 3-pt model would be if it had enough weight to do the job in rough conditions. I'm assuming you transport it by picking the entire unit off the ground with the hydraulics, instead of dropping wheels to roll it. There is only so much weight you can hang on the back of a tractor; especially a small 6' model that folks are more likely to use with smaller tractors. Still, even if it is not perfect it may work relatively well for you depending what your other options are.
philanderson66@gmail.com
http://agmap.psu.edu/Businesses/2638

"When he thinks he is cornered, that is the time a deer is going to show you how to get out of a corner in a hurry."-- Archibald Rutledge
Old 02-03-2006, 12:06 PM
QDMA Member

I am going to try and post a couple of the photos now to see what ya'll think.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taylor Drill 1a.JPG (218.9 KB, 1206 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor Drill 2.jpg (150.5 KB, 829 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor Drill 6.jpg (251.1 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor Drill 12 - closers.jpg (250.3 KB, 805 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor Drill 19 - seed chart.jpg (259.4 KB, 904 views)
Old 02-03-2006, 12:07 PM
QDMA Member

one two more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taylor Drill 18.jpg (175.4 KB, 729 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor Drill 11.jpg (161.4 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor Drill 5 - right side.jpg (220.1 KB, 578 views)
Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM

I'll bet that you'll find a way to use it. If he doesn't want an arm & leg for it, I'd give it a shot. You may want to check the bearings on the openers if it has had much use.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:57 PM
QDMA Member

Any advice after seeing the pictures? Anyone familiar with that model drill/no-till?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:24 PM

SChunter, it is very similar to a drill I bought two years ago, a International Harvester Model 510 Semi-Mounted, 6'. I knew little about drills when I got it, but learned some things while replacing some worn parts. Buying parts could be a problem, and you will evetually need a part that wears out or breaks. Bearings, sprockets, discs, grain tubes, etc. You might want to check into that before buying it. From the picture it looks like the pointed furrow opener is all one piece attached under the bin. That piece needs to be a certain length in order to open the furrow to the correct depth and sufficiently for the seed to drop in. They can get worn too short and will need to be replace or taken to a welding shop and have metal added back on. My IH is a replaceble item. Maybe this one is too, but I don't see where it can be removed. I really like my IH 510. Does a good job.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:55 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member

Default Taylor Pasture Dream

That model was made in Louisville, Mississippi. They are still in business but haven't made the no till drill since the 50's. I bought one two years ago after using a 10ft no till drill. The 10ft was too large and hard to manuever. The Taylor works great. We pull it with a 40 HP tractor. I use it to plant a combination of wheat oats and winter peas in clover plots. It does great. My coulters and boots are spaced 18 inches so I plant 4 rows in one pass. This seems to give optimum spacing for planting the grasses. The fertilize goes in the front hopper and is placed directly in the furrow with the seed. This puts the seed deep enough in the soil that there is some moisture and we got excellent results even in the drought conditions this fall. I have tried to find a small seed attachment but have been unsuccessful. If you buy it and want to sell the clover box I would be interested or would be interested in detailed pictures so I could fabricate one. e-mail is n95sl@earthlink.net.

Don