Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 AM
QDMA Member

I am in the Sheet Metal works union. I work at a air movement/air handling company. I am a younger guy (30) who enjoys the outdoors and everything associated with food plotting/ deer hunting. Have a 9 month old son who I can wait to share my passion with.

This is my favorite place to be online. So much great info and no one here bickers like I see alot on other types of forums.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 AM

I work as a sales manager for a wire and cable manufacturer in upstate NY (IWG - braided wire division). I see several people on this thread where our paths likely cross. Went to college and obtained a BS in Biology....... wanted to be a Fishery Biologist - still do actually....... no money in it though.

Neat seeing what you all do -
Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 AM

electrition but love everything about whitetails.
2011 my son shot his first deer. It was a doe. We were pumped.
After I think the tree was shaking so much everyone could see it.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 AM
QDMA Member

I've worked for a paint and industrial supply store for 28 years. Married to a wonderful woman for 32 years. She gave me 2 boys, 29 and 25 yrs old now.
She also allows me to spend most of my spare time deer farming (that is what us rednecks in south Alabama call it).
Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

Location: Crow Wing County, North Central Minnesota (USDA zone 3)

I spent 25 years in sales for industrial materials (large aluminum mill) before starting my own business in 1990. (I think I had my fill of big company politics.)

My reloading hobby resulted in a few patented tools that I invented for precision reloading. So in 1990 I started my own business where I designed, manufactured, and distributed precision reloading tools and gun maintenance and shooting accessories under my own brand. My company more-or-less re-invented and popularized "shooting-sticks".

I sold the company in 2006 and did some new product development for a few years before fully retiring. Now, (my wife tells me) I need to stifle new product ideas.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm hunter View Post
I see several people on this thread where our paths likely cross. Went to college and obtained a BS in Biology....... wanted to be a Fishery Biologist - still do actually....... no money in it though.

Indeed farm hunter.

I was 26 when I obtained a BS in Wildlife Biology (spent 4 years in the military after high school). I wasn't thrilled with being a lifelong intern with my BS, and I knew that I just didn't have another 4 or 5 years in me to obtain a PhD.

So, I went for a masters in education and have been teaching high school Biology for 14 years. Also coach the girls varsity soccer team.

That leaves me all summer for pursueing all things whitetail....

Natty
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM

I made a post and Dogwood gave me this thread which is very similar. I thought I would add my story to this thread as well. I really enjoyed reading the different things everyone does for a living.

Over the years I have read a ton of information on this site. I'm just curious what everyone does for a living and how it relates to their love for the outdoors, hunting, food plots, their property, etc. I always wonder when reading a post what people have to do. Are they farmers and their house is on their land. Or do they have to travel to get to their place. Is it farmer life all the time, or suit and tie for work and then ditch the outfit and don a pair of blue jeans? Here is my story.
I have a military background of 4 yrs in the USAF. I was able to get on with a local Police Department here in Erie County NY back in 1999. My wife's family had land in our Southern tier and it wasn't but a few trips there and I was hooked. We bought 25 acres next to a friends 50 acres in 2005. It is just about an hour drive from my home in Buffalo to my property in Freedom. Over the years we have put in electric, septic, well, and have a 40' park trailer on our land. The trailer keeps from paying a significant jump in property taxes. A few years ago we put a 3/4 acre pond on our place and stocked it with bass n Blue gill. I have twin 6yr old boys. Our property is our lives. We fish, swim and have bonfires all summer while working on the food plots and land. Come Oct 1st we get out the hunting gear and continue on. The neighbor has a 20 acre field next to us that he leases to a farmer. I want to buy that someday and let it grow to 18 acres of thick brush and trails.
We love our land, I don't have to tell you in NY how expensive it is having basically two houses with two sets of taxes, but its my family's get away. Someday down the road when I retire and the kids move out my wife and I plan on selling our house and moving out to the land. We want to get a few animals, and be a very relaxed, small scale version of farmers. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
QDMA Member

Went to college for four years in wildlife management / conservation. Then I figured out they were all working during hunting season. Then I got certified to teach jr/sr high science. After three years of high stress low pay I retired from public education. For the past 10 years I have been in the food manufacturing industry. I am a lab manager at a corn mill / ethanol plant performing QC/QA. If anyone likes cheetos or natural light you are welcome (for the ingredients anyway)!

Neat to see that there are alot of similar backgrounds on here.

Playground 2014- Land Tour

2014 Food Plots
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
QDMA Member

wow....it has been almost 7 years since I started this thread....didn't think it would go so long! I didn't read through all the pages to see if I have responded since, so in those ~7 years I have worked construction, gotten taxidermy training, worked for a fencing contractor/fur and hide dealer, and just completed my degree in Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology with 2 minors in Forest Management and Plant Biology....still working on nailing down a job in the natural resource field but keeping hope as it is my dream to be a wildlife biologist (I am almost there!), so for now I am an arborist in training, and just married my girlfriend of 9 years and we are expecting our first in May!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM

I'll post on here also. I sell Boats and Pontoons. If you're looking for one let me know!