Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 PM
QDMA Member

Excellent choice you made w/ the T1i but to take photos you want, you need to at least use a 2x converter which will work w/ your lens. You should however consider upgrading your lens to 300mm or better to shoot the photos you seem to be interested in taking. A 300 or better w/2x converter will probably satisfy you and keep your budget low. Keep in mind a 2x converter does sacrifice light gathering capabilities, so you will need a fast lens f-stop , increase film speed, slow shutter speed, or a combination of each. Slow shutter speed for nature photography is usually not a good option. Check on non canon lenses, there are some excellent lenses at good prices. Amazon.com usually has very competitive prices. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahusker View Post
Crazy Ed/Archaic,

I went ahead and bought the Canon Rebel T2i and it came with a EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lense. Can I buy the X2 doubler and use it with this lense or do I need to also buy a bigger telephoto to go with the doubler? I'm pretty disappointed this really only takes good pictures of deer within long bow range or about 60 yards. I'd like to be able to zoom in on things 100-150 yards away if possible.

Thanks for the replies.

IMO with 18 MP on the T2 you should be able to zoom and crop and end up with decent pics of deer at that range (depending on what you want to do with the final pics)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 AM
QDMA Member

Hey there.

I do know both the 1.4x and 2.0x extenders from canon do only work with certain lenses. I think it requires an "L" lens which is canon's best as well as a lens that is naively F4.0 or faster. Like I shoot the canon 70-200 F2.8L IS and I know my lens will work with either. My dad has a Canon 400mm 5.6L and his will not work with either. When you use either teleconverter it adds an F/Stop. Like my big lens is a 2.8 if I add the teleconvter it will shoot at F4 max. This summer I rented that 300mm F4L IS lens, when i added the tele it was now at F5.6. Not a big deal but thats the way it works.

For Wildlife I recommend shooting at a minimum a Canon 70-200 F4L. You can buy them for under $600 new and if you hit the used market you might scoop one around $500. Check Photography on the Net forum for used or amazon.com for new.

If your budget is bigger go for the Canon 400mm F5.6L. You can get it new for like $1200 on amazon and used for $850-1050. www.lensprotogo.com is a great place to buy used from. Their main goal is to rent equipment, but to always be renting "new" gear they buy new and sell after 15 uses or so. I have rented from them (300mm f4 IS) and purchased (canon EOS 7d). Both deals were perfection I highly recommend them. I might add my father is a damn near professional wildlife photographer, he is now retired and he shoots everyday with a passion for all types of wildlife, more so than anyone I know. The ultimate camera hunter. He shoots a canon EOS 7D and a Canon 400mm F5.6 and he is always blowing me away with what he is doing. It's the perfect combo of reasonably priced pro-sumer gear

So that said if you want to use the extender at a minimum get the 70-200F4L. or ditch the teleconvter and drop $1050 on the 400mm f5.6 and dont use a teleconverter.

Update: I found this note on amazon.com on the 1.4x extender.

"Note: This lens is only compatible with fixed focal length L-series lenses 135mm and over, as well as the EF 70-200/2.8L, EF 70-200/2.8L IS, EF 70-200/4L, and EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L. "

If you have time to watch the used market there are always good deals to be had. You just have to watch here a lot and when the opportunity comes up be ready to jump. Buy with Paypal (not paypal gift) and your transaction is protected. Many people on this site selling stuf also have either a history on the forum or on ebay so that can help as well with seller reputation.

Here is a used 70-200F4 for $525 shipped to your door.

Here's another one that sold for $500.

Last edited by CrazyED : 01-02-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
QDMA Member

I hope it works out for you. Its an absolutely fantastic lens. I would have bought one this fall but I bought a new bow instead. The focus on it is lightning fast and extremely sharp!

Here's one of my favorite pics with the 400mm taken by my dad.

You better post some pictures after you get it out in the field! =]
Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 PM

Good answers guys..........
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
QDMA Member

OK, I'm bumping this up. I just got a Canon 7D with a 24-105mm L Canon lens. Very stoked.

Interested in anyone has anything else to add to this, or how dahusker is doing now that he's back and has his rig tested!?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
QDMA Member

Holy smokes! Beautiful. Very nice!

I can't help, as I have a Mac.

How far were those turks and deer from you when you snapped the shot?

I'm sure someone on here can help.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
QDMA Member

Can anyone comment on the shutter noise level comparison between Nikon and Cannon?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
I went ahead and bought the Canon Rebel T2i and it came with a EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lense. Can I buy the X2 doubler and use it with this lense or do I need to also buy a bigger telephoto to go with the doubler? I'm pretty disappointed this really only takes good pictures of deer within long bow range or about 60 yards. I'd like to be able to zoom in on things 100-150 yards away if possible.
My wife has the low-end Rebel (XS), and I know what you mean. I'm sure the 2Ti is much better in some respects, but it must have some similarities. The XS does what we need it to do, but it definately has it's limitations. She'd love to have the ability to dabble in wildlife photography, but there is not nearly enough zoom in that lens, if you want to shoot more than 50 yds. Also, the camera body is too loud (not terribly loud, but too loud for shooting pics of deer, coyote, ect., without alerting them). And, we're not terribly impressed with it's performance in low light conditions. I guess one has to spend a bit more, before you get something with the attributes we're wanting. But, how much? And, what models do we need to look into?
Side note, the Rebel, in most respects, is a terrific camera for the money. It takes great pics for normal family use, and limited nature shooting. Most of the pics of our QDMA events, which you can see on our Branch website, were taken with it. Here's a recent Rebel shot, that I liked...
Attached Images

Last edited by Dogwood : 07-27-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: misinformation
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
QDMA Member

I am not a camera junkie like some here; however, I purchased the Canon Power Shot SX200 IS.

It has great picture resolution, excellent video, and 12x optical zoom.

I paid around $250 with expanded memery card.

Fits in my pocket when I am in the field. Has worked well in any weather conditions.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-33529068.html
Old 07-27-2011, 03:37 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
I still haven't gotten a 400 for better long range shots.

The 400mm is such a great wildlife lens, especially for the price compared to other in that same range. After renting one in June I definitely had the bug to buy one however so far i've managed to hold off.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyED View Post
The 400mm is such a great wildlife lens, especially for the price compared to other in that same range. After renting one in June I definitely had the bug to buy one however so far i've managed to hold off.

Ed, can you speak of the easy of use for the 400? How much different is it to use? Does it require any unique skill or style?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
QDMA Member

Well, it's a prime lens so there is no zooming involved. Basically point and shoot. Of course to get "nice" pictures you still need to understand how to work your camera.

This particular lens will focus very quickly. Even though it's a big and relatively heavy lens, if you compare it to the 400mm F2.8 or F4 which is like a $4-5k lens and 10x as heavy, the 400mm F5.6 ($1100) it's much lighter and easy to swing around free hand without the use of a tri or monopod. It's excellent for tracking birds in flight. I'll use the example my father uses. When him and his friend go for a walk in the woods to photograph birds and other wildlife, my dad with his 400 F5.6 and his buddy uses a 500 F4. The 500 is so big and heavy 95% of the time the guy with the 500 doesnt even have time to swing his camera up to get a shot while my dad fires off a dozen frames. Think of duck hunting with a 12gauge semi auto or a world war 1 cannon. Which would you rather shoot? =)

The only thing to consider if you are shooting the 400mm F5.6 is it's not compatible with the canon teleconverters (extenders). those extenders only work with glass that is F4 or faster.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
I did some searching online and found that they offer a 1.4X and 2.X extender which you mentioned in the thread. It said online that the 1.4x and a 2.0x extenders are both compatible but the 1.4X would work better than 2.X because the 2.X wouldn't allow the autofocus to work.

I guess I need some professional help here. I'd like to be able to zoom right in on the turkey or face of a deer to fill an entire frame from 100 plus yards. What would you suggest?

--------------------
Ed, OK your last post here says they aren't compatible with the 400 5.6?? Am I stuck with the range of the EF 400 f/5.6L or can it be improved some?
Thanks!

Da,

The full frame at 100 is more or less impossible without spending thousands (tens) on lenses or a really good spotting scope with adapter.

The extenders are a big help but you will lose f stops (low light capability)

If you go back through my picture thread, there is a picture or a doe in the beans. She was 40 yards away with my 7D and 400L. That camera has a 1.6 cropped sensor which means I was really shooting at 640mm. Thought it'd be a good reference for you. I'd post the picture but I'm on my phone.

But you can also shoot really big file size and crop down to a managable picture. Ed's great with this stuff so I'm anxious to hear his thoughts too.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
QDMA Member

Yeah, I mean a 400mm is a 400mm. I agree with ICALL2MUCH's statement that if you are shooting at 100 yards and 400mm is not enough focal length and you want a full frame image, you need to crop your image. Or shell out more cash for more focal length and maybe a more powerful camera body which will give you better image quality post crop.

Personally, I recommend you use your hunter instincts and get closer to your subject. Think bow hunting instead of rifle hunting. Personally I think getting closer to the subject is always the best option. When you start looking at the 500, 600, 800, 1200mm canon lenses, you better be filthy rich to afford it and be on steroids to carry it around.

Also, as I stated previously, the 1.4 and 2.0 teleconveters will NOT work with the 400 5.6 lens. Well maybe they will work but you are forced to do manual focusing which really sucks. The teleconveters are designed to work with glass that is F4 or faster. F5.6 is too slow. Once you put the teleconverter on you loose a stop.

Example: I have the 1.4x tele. Let's say I put it on the Canon 300 F4 IS lens (i've used this combo in real life by the way). That gives me a focal length of 420mm (not factoring in camera body), but the fastest stop I will get is 5.6. Now on paper it might look better to have a 420mm at 5.6 with image stabilization compared to the flat 400 F5.6. Well, what they dont tell you is the auto focus is MUCH slower when using a teleconverter. 2 summers ago I ran the 300 F4 w/ tele and my dad had his 400 5.6. We were both in a boat, shooting side by side. He was always rattling off way more frames with his combo than me, because mean while I was stuck waiting for the auto focus to focus. I ended up missing lots of frames, it was like a gun that would jam. Of course if you are shooting slow moving wildlife it's fine, but if you are going after birds, forget about it, you will miss a lot of shots.

Take a look at my fathers gallery. The only difference is he uses the Canon 7D body. I still stand behind my original statement that the 400 F5.6 is the best wildlife lens out there at an affordable price point. He shoots lots of wildllife at great distances but he then crops his picture to make it look bigger in the frame. That's where the whole crop sensor versus full frame sensor debate comes in. crop sensor is better when you are cropping your pics. Almost all of my fathers pics are crops. Even when cropped he has some absolutely mind blowing images.

Hope this helps guys if there is anything I can explain further ask away and I will do my best. I don't claim to be an expert but i've used a lot of different canon gear from consumer to pro over the past 6 or so years.

Last edited by CrazyED : 03-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM
QDMA Member

Great reply Ed.

Here is the picture I was referring to in the above post.

Shot at 400m with the 100-400L.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
QDMA Member

Looking at the first picture only, it looks like your camera was set at ISO 3200. Very understandable in the low light situation. Crank the ISO to get a faster shutter speed, thats what I would do. While it's the best approach, raising your ISO will cause your pictures to become more grainy. Then when you crop, again that will bring in some graininess. Not what you want to hear but upgrading to a slightly better sensor like the 7D will help, but it might. In low light situations you are still going to have these issues, no matter what you are shooting. My suggestion is to try and find the birds with more light.

Were you shooting free hand or on a tripod? If freehand, I would recommend going to a tripod and trying to step down the ISO a bit. Especially in the low light situations, it will help to have a perfectly steady shot, you can get away with a lower shutter speed and a lower ISO.

Taking wildlife photos is very much another form of hunting. It takes a lot of practice, you just can't get frustrated and you just need to keep shooting and learning from your mistakes. Learn your gear and learn the limitations of it. Get the best shots you can given the conditions, sometimes they're not going to be super crisp if it's getting dark but sometimes you just need to capture the moment any way you can.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Default ISO setting

I'm so green with this I don't even know how to change it. haha. I played around with it and it is currently set to Auto ISO so evidently it selected that on it's own. Would you recommend a certain setting? Like I said, I'm a total novice and typically only use automatic or general type settings.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
I'm so green with this I don't even know how to change it. haha. I played around with it and it is currently set to Auto ISO so evidently it selected that on it's own. Would you recommend a certain setting? Like I said, I'm a total novice and typically only use automatic or general type settings.

The best thing I ever did was setup my camera to completely manual settings. My pictures sucked for a long time (most still do) because I struggled to understand the certain relationships, aperature/iso, iso/daylight, shutter speed/day light.

I'd recommend taking it off Auto, and sliding into the AV/TV settings on the camera, then Manual. It may take a few days or even weeks, but you'll start seeing things from a photographers. When you see a buck with 30 minutes of light left, you'll know that you can get away with 400 ISO if you shutter speed is around the 80 mark (example).

I've read your story in QW....if you can create a amazing place like that - you can certainly learn the basics of photography!

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 AM
QDMA Member

I would start with this book. Understanding Exposure is a great book to explain the basic settings of a camera. Personally I hate to read but lets face it, it's one of the better ways to learn. Then learn how to do these things on your camera. I agree AV/TV settings are a good place to start after you have been on full auto.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...2508680&sr=8-1