Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 PM
QDMA Member

Default Sawtooth Oak - Invasive?

Sawtooth oaks... are they invasive? Have some started in seed pots and then found this, not sure if it's valid or extreme:

http://www.invasive.org/species/subject.cfm?sub=10086
Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

That will depend on who you ask

I have no experience with them due to their lack of winter hardiness so I can't give you any firsthand info.

I'm sure some other folks will though
Old 06-30-2010, 08:41 PM

From what I gather, sawtooths do VERY well in the south and not so well up in my area. Some people have some that are 12 years old that have not dropped an acorn yet. There are some in town on a conservation area that have very few every year I have checked them.

IMO,

Plant some native hybrid oaks, dwarf chinkapins or some other native so you never have to worry about them being invasive.
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 AM

No they are not. I challenge anybody to try to make them so. Get a bag of 50 acorns, walk around and plant them, and then set back and see what happens. If you get one to survive, you'll be lucky. They have to be "babied" just like any other tree in their young years. However, even with that, they are not tolerant of shade like native trees are. Plant them in shade and you'll never get them to survive.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM

I can only speak to my experience. Which is that I've planted several thousand in the last 3 years, and helped my father plant several in his yard nearly 20 years ago. I his yard they seem to come up everywhere underneath the parent tree. However, the majority of his yard is shaded with other oaks, and not a small sawtooth to be found. As far as growth rate is concerend, my nutall oaks far exceed the growth rate of my sawtooth. I've got 2 year old nutalls coming out of 5' cages in an area where my 3 year old sawtooth are just coming out of 3' cages. My 6 year old trees in my yard are all putting acorns this year. I consider that to be good seeing as how I didn't water them when I transplanted them, and followed that up by almost burning them to death with urea the next year.

From what I hear Chinkapin Oaks produce acorns at a very early age as well. So there are many alternatives.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
QDMA Member

Thanks for all of the great replies. Good info! Due to a war against mold in the house over winter, my acorns ended up in fridge from last fall until about a month ago, planted them in seed pots, and most came up... lost the tallest one to a squirrel yesterday. A pic of the progress just for fun:
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne19 View Post
I can only speak to my experience. Which is that I've planted several thousand in the last 3 years, and helped my father plant several in his yard nearly 20 years ago. I his yard they seem to come up everywhere underneath the parent tree. However, the majority of his yard is shaded with other oaks, and not a small sawtooth to be found. As far as growth rate is concerend, my nutall oaks far exceed the growth rate of my sawtooth. I've got 2 year old nutalls coming out of 5' cages in an area where my 3 year old sawtooth are just coming out of 3' cages. My 6 year old trees in my yard are all putting acorns this year. I consider that to be good seeing as how I didn't water them when I transplanted them, and followed that up by almost burning them to death with urea the next year.

From what I hear Chinkapin Oaks produce acorns at a very early age as well. So there are many alternatives.

Are you saying that your nutall oaks produced acorns at 6 years old, or your sawtooths did?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdmohio View Post
Are you saying that your nutall oaks produced acorns at 6 years old, or your sawtooths did?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. My Sawtooth on my yard put on acorns at 6. My nutall are just 2 years old.