Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDMer4life View Post
I wouldn't do a timber sale without a forester helping.

Me either!! Get a forester involved and tell them what you are looking for so they will have the correct trees harvested for ya. A logger may just take what is in their best interest.
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 12-13-2009, 01:06 PM
QDMA Member

I had a forester write a plan but said since I have such few acres on my 100 that need to be harvest to go with a select timber harvester as I'm only having harvested 20 large oaks per acre (some 36 inch bases) of about 8 acres. He said it wasn't worth doing a "cruise" as big timber companies won't be interested and will tear up the land as opposed to a select harvester. I'm just trying to get an idea what "a tree" might be worth so I don't get jipped. I know the guy, select harvester, so won't but want to make sure getting best deal.

And what is your cut typically as a seller? Do harvesters ever agree to give you a certain percentage of what they sell it for at the mill so there's documentation of what they sold if for and what you get?

Last edited by scrimshaw33 : 12-13-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 PM

I think 100 is pretty standard for a good sized tree. Obviously there are other variables and some may be worth 200 for high quality/straight trees. If you are harvesting 20 large oaks per acre how many do you have total per acre??
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 PM
QDMA Member

It's in a location close to the road and is open forest too open as people can see directly to my food plot so have marked it to thin one large oak every 30 ft. There aren't tons of oaks, but unless I remove some I won't get any understory. I also had marked all poplar and hickory and maple to be removed which basically ends up leaving a white or red oak every 30 feet where before it was a tree every 10 feet.

So say a tree is worth $100-$200, what "cut" as a landowner do you typically receive?
Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM

Sounds like a good plan!!

I think it is usually 50/50.
Zone 5B
Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 PM

I've seen percentage cuts go anywhere from 40-60% to the landowner depending on conditions. Some things that can sway the % one way or the other is ease of removal, overall volume, wetness and repair responsibilities.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:03 PM
QDMA Member

Anyone know what a mature tree weighs on average?

I just talked to the select harvester and he said he pays 50% of whatever he makes in cash.
(wouldn't be surprised he doesn't claim taxes on it). I know the guy and work with his daughter for what it's worth.

He said right now they're paying $50/ton. I have mature red oaks and poplar so not sure if that makes it more valuable or not. I'm pretty much "thinning the area" not clear cutting or anything. I'm also going to have him take out some mature pines that are 50+ years old, past their prime and have already started falling (only have about 20 of those). I would say on total (estimating) I have about 35 mature red oaks (24 inch diameter or bigger--some tilted, not all are straight), 35 mature poplar (most 24 inches diameter, one is 36+ inches), some crappy maple, and some 18 inch hickory.

Just want to think out where I'm going to put some food plots, let understory in/create thick cover for privacy screening--something I started doing myself but then had the epiphany, why not pay someone me to have it done! Plus I was getting so much brush on the ground I'm afraid it might prevent deer from using it and instead border it as it getting almost impenetrable with tree tops. Think he will come in an mulch most of it or atleast remove it if I want him to.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:12 PM

I have noticed that deer really like bedding in the downed tops, so IMO, I would leave enough to provide added cover immediately until the undergrowth comes in strong. Deer like them since they can bed in them and have their backside protected from wind and predators.
Zone 5B
Old 12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
QDMA Member

Completely agree! However, yesterday I thinned everything so that 30 feet trees were space and it looks like a tornado went off. I cut some 36 inch diameter trees. I will have him leave some. However, my plan was to make my own buck beds with smaller tree tops that I will hinge myself. I just want to get the big stuff out.

Did a little research and it looks like on average a tree weighs 1 ton per cubic meter.

A formula I found online said to multiply by 0.6 times your cubic meter size to account for air space. I multiplied a 24 inch tree x 24 inches by 100 foot (a mature oak) which came out to 6.58 cubic meters or 6.58 tons. If he's getting $50/ton that's about $330, and half of that would be my cut, or $175 for a mature red or white oak...seem fair?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Seems like a good price to me!!! I would take that on some big mature oaks that's for sure.
Zone 5B