Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Default If your property boarders state land?

Hi Guys,
Just have a general question for you all.

If you owned property that boarders state land, and someone shot a deer on the state land, would you allow them to track it if it entered your private property, or would you discourage hunters from hunting the state land knowing if they shot one you would absolutely not let them go after it, ie: State land on top of hill, private land on bottom, any buck/deer shot would run downhill (most likely)...

Pretend this person asked you respectfully. Let me know your thoughts!!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to ohiodeerhunter21

If I was a landowner I would allow them to go get their deer as long as they came to me for permission to do so and hell I would even help them look for the deer.
There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.
-Ted Nugent
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 AM
QDMA Member

if they came and asked with some respect i would let them get their deer for sure.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM
QDMA Member

Default ditto

I would do the same. I wouldnt necessarily like it if they were hunting 10 yards from the line though, and express my discontent if it becomes a pattern.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
QDMA Member

I agree. Like the previous poster said, I wouldn't like it if they were hunting on/near the property line, but I'd let them get their deer. I don't want a deer that someone else shot.

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member
Old 10-19-2009, 12:32 PM

If they came and told me the situation....sure I would let them go get it. Why prevent them from recovering a legally shot deer.

If I was in a suspicious mood I might invite myself along to help them get it....and gauge their reaction to that. If I got a bad vibe from that I might continue the conversation and try to get them to give away the location of the shot and location of their stand.

If they start stammerin when I invite myself along for the recovery....well then you can pretty much assume they are lyin about where it was shot
Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM
QDMA Member

I would want to see the blood. I have caught a few guys tresspassing that were "tracking a deer they shot" but can never show me the blood trail.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
QDMA Member

I would and I would accompany them. No sense in not letting someone get their game, but I want to make sure it is done quietly and with as little intrusion as possible to my property, especially sanctuaries!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
QDMA Life Member

There is State land on two sides of my property. A 662 foot of road frontage with State land across the road, and a 2760 foot northern boundary with State land.

There is virtually no bow hunting on the State land, or on any of the private parcels around my place. Therefore, there is very little tracking done by any of the hunters within a mile radius of my property.

There are several rifle hunters who regularly hunt on the State land. None of them hunt near the property line. Since they are all respectful of the property line, I would not have a problem with any of them tracking a deer as long as their was a visible blood trail. Since buying my place in 2000, none of the hunters from the State land, or the private land on the other two sides, have ever had to track a deer onto my place.

13-Time National Football League Champions
1929-31, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961-62, 1965-67, 1996, 2010
Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
QDMA Member

I haven't read any responses but I am going to wager a guess that everyone's response is going to be very similar to mine:

ABSOLUTELY!

How could you ever deny someone like the chance to look for their deer? I might make them wait until after dark or something.

Check us out at www.thecountrylodge.com

Providing affordable hunts and lodging in Gallatin and White Counties in Southern Illinois!!