Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 10-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Chufa for deer?

I just watched a show on chufa and planting it for turkeys. Looking it up on the internet it says it's also good for deer. My question is has anyone used it and do the deer eat it as it grows or do they eat the chufas themselves out of the dirt after they mature?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 PM
QDMA Member

I have naturally occuring chufa (yellow nutsedge) growing all over and the deer do not touch it.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Yes, deer will eat the actual chufa. They will paw them up and come behind the turkey when they scratch. Different at every property, but we annually plant chufas, so the deer are use to it.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM

I think the hogs are drawn to it as well so watch out.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 PM

Yeah, what I read was that hogs were attracted to it but we are fortunate in the area where I want to plant it is that we don't have any hogs. Yes there is such a place in Georgia with no feral hogs. We have a hard time keeping the turkeys hanging around during turkey season so I thought about trying chufa next year.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM

I know how turkeys love chufas from hunting lots of different places. I've also seen deer feeding on them lots of times in many different places. I'm trying to pull turkeys back onto my place.

When do you plant chufa in the south to have them available during turkey season?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traqem View Post
When do you plant chufa in the south to have them available during turkey season?

If memory is correct at least 120d before first frost. If you plant say in May and the stand is thin...you can till lightly again in July and get new growth from remaining tubers. The answer is honestly May through July...rain dependant of course. Get In the Game TV on the Outdoor channel has a good speel on it.

Most suggest plowing a middle strip post-frost when the forage has browned so the birds will winter in the area. They should scratch the rest of the field during the winter. Till another portion about March 1 before season. Early season while the birds are still in larger flocks and before they disperse into remote nesting habitat will be your best hunting....honestly this is normally the toughest turkey hunting. A few hens should nest around the area providing on/off late season hunting.

While the fat/carbohydrate content of the tubers is attractive as a deer food....it seems rather low on the preference list....esp when hard mast or lush cool seson grasses are available.

BTW...Flatsedge is a common marsh relative....supposedly high on puddle duck preference list.

Good white clover read: search for 'white clover'
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1251/B1251.htm

Back-to-basics - fertilizer information
http://www.back-to-basics.net/home

Quality of Native Plant Forage Species Important to White-tailed Deer and Goats in South Central Oklahoma.
https://www.noble.org/global/ag/wild.../cdversion.pdf
Old 10-07-2009, 10:45 AM

Default Chufas are a turkey magnet........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnesmith View Post
Yeah, what I read was that hogs were attracted to it but we are fortunate in the area where I want to plant it is that we don't have any hogs. Yes there is such a place in Georgia with no feral hogs. We have a hard time keeping the turkeys hanging around during turkey season so I thought about trying chufa next year.

never seen anything that will attract and hold turkeys like chufa. They have around a 100 day maturity and we usually plant ours around July 1. Never seen the deer use them, but turkeys and coons will wear them out.
You need to plant a big plot if you want them to last, minimum of an acre, but 2+ is better. Once the turkeys start using them, they will camp out until they are gone.
We planted ours the 1st weekend in July this year and the turkeys are already on them.