Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM

Default South GA foodplots...need help

I'm new to posting on the site but have been reading ya'lls posts for about a month now and have been impressed with the amount of knowledge you have and are willing to share. My club has been practicing QDM for 10+ years now, but we have been very limited as to what and where we could plant plots, mainly only loggins roads. We have just recently have been given access to plant approx 7 acres(split up among 8 different plots) by the land owner.
Earlier this spring we cleaned these plots of debris from last years pine thinning. Put down approx. 1ton of lime per acre, fertilized according to soil test and disced in lightly and 3 weeks later planted all plots, 3 in a mixture of clover and soybeans, the remaining 5 in clover(red, white and durana), chickory and lab-lab peas. Got plenty of rain, plots were doing great. 5 weeks after planting noticed grasses coming up everywhere, sprayed arrow(2, 4d I think). Went back a week later and grasses were dying off. Put down another 100llbs of fertilizer per plot. Now, 4 weeks after that I just checked them and one of two things has happened and this is where I need help. The three plots with clover and soybeans have NOTHING remaining in them but tons of broadleaf weeds. The beans and clover were either eaten or we screwed up with the arrow application. But I was told that shouldn't harm either plant. We followed the application rate according to the bottle.
The remaining plots, again either all of the clover was eaten which I find hard to beleive
or it has died as well as the chickory. One plot though, looks spectacular! The clover is 6-10" tall and the chickory is 1' plus. Basicly, I cant understand where all the broad leaf weeds came from and where all the food went? Should we round up all the remaining plots, wait a week or 2 and till it in? Should we wait after that to see if more weeds come back and spray again before planting? Lastly, I see most of ya'll are from up north. Does anyone know when or how late we can plant brassicas and acheive full growth by Oct/Nov? Sorry so long and thanks for any advice! We typically only get 2-3in of rain July-Sept. down here to.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM

Default I'll give you my thoughts ....

My Hunting club is between Columbus and Macon ... where abouts are you?

1. The deer may have eaten your soybeans, as soon as they came out of the ground.

2. I have durana/crimson clover plots and the crimson dies off by mid April and my Durana, due to the 95+ degree days and no rain for 5 weeks, went dormant and was non-existant on July first. We got 2" of rain shortly after that and on July 18th, we had 1" tall Durana back in there. Hopefully it's still going.

3. The Arrow probably worked great, but it only kills grasses. It doesn't do anything for broadleaf weeds. If you sprayed 2-4-d vs 2-4-d-b, you damaged your clover, chicory & soybeans, if not killed them. 2-4-d-b will hurt or kill your chicory, too, I believe.

4. If you can bush hog or cut the broadleaf weeds, I might give that a try and wait to see what things look like in early September. Just to see if any of the clover & chicory come back, after things cool off and we get some more rains. If you did use 2-4-d then I might consider spraying everything with glyphosate and start again in mid September.

5. We all make mistakes (:-) trust me on this one), but one of your big ones here, was trying to establish clover in the spring. Fall is the absolute best time to do it down here.

I'm sure others will add and give their advice here too, but the above is just something to think about.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Thanks Canuck. We are in Harrison, Washington Co.

As for the clover going dorment, that may very well be the case. I just don't understand why the 1 plot is doing so great compared to all the others. All soils were similar, all were limed and fertilized the same and receive the same amount of sunlight. All were sprayed too with arrow. Thats why we are so confused.

Unsure wether it was d or d-b and cannot check until the next time I get back down there.
I assume it was not the d-b because the chickory is doing great in the one plot and still
growing in the others but has been browsed heavily.

I think we're gonna just do as I said before and round up the remaining plots and plant
some fall plots. Have you had any luck with brassicas where you are at? What tpye or brand have you had success with?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:29 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptine06 View Post
Does anyone know when or how late we can plant brassicas and acheive full growth by Oct/Nov? Sorry so long and thanks for any advice! We typically only get 2-3in of rain July-Sept. down here to.

Thanks to advice of others here, brassicas (rape n turnips) should be planted 90-60 days before fall frost date for your area to get full growth....'sure rain' will set your final planting date....deer may hit it earlier though. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Default The mysteries of foodplotting .....

Is all I can chalk that up to, why one plot, survived and the other 3 didn't. Something was just a little different, whether it was rainfall or the spray mix or lime or fertilizer or ........ We have about 1000 acres and in some area's things grow very well and in others it's a struggle, yet we try to make all the improvements the soil tests recommend. Mind you, we're working with Georgia Red Clay, that binds the rest of the world together ....

I've had "0" luck with brassica's. They come up nice and we get a good stand, but for whatever reason, the deer just didn't take to them. We've tried them in the same area, in different plots over a couple of years and we're shrugging our shoulder on them.

I am interested in trying the "Trophy Radishes", if I can find out where to buy them at. I've heard a few good things about them and radishes is about the only thing we haven't tried.

Wheat/Oats/Rye, clovers (Durana & Crimson), chicory, and soybeans (spring planting) are pretty much our mainstains and helps keep the hunt club budget under control. Maybe spraying RoundUp on those 3 plots might be your best option, depending on how many weeds you have. Fall planting of clovers with cereal grains, will give you a great chance of having weed free plots in the future!

Having said all the above, take some of your plots and plants strips of several things and see what works in your area. I think deer like different things in different areas, depending on what other options they have, be it fields of soybeans or corn or great acron crops. Do a little testing and possibly your soil will produce a more tasty product for your deer, than in my area. Like a lot of others on here will suggest, go to your local "feed & seed" place and see what they have to offer, for seed. Call your local County Extension Agent and they be a wealth of info. for you too! Good luck!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the advice gallow and Canuck. The past two seasons we have planted "Shot Plot" brassicas. The first year, the deer devoured them. Last year, they hardly touched em...go figure. Talking to the guys this weekend, I think we are gonna just blast em all with round up and start over for the fall. On your suggestion, I am gonna try and plant strips of different seed. Maybe rye, oats and brassicas and over seed with clover. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!