Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 07-18-2009, 05:57 PM

Default using burlap as weed barrier?

Im sure this is a stupid question .... but ya never know until you ask.

What would be the pros/cons of using burlap as a weed barrier on new tree plantings?

Basically buy a roll of 3' wide burlap ..... cut a 3' long piece off. Cut a hole in the middle and a slit from one side to the hole.

Plant the tree ..... put some old newspapers around the tree .... put the burlap over the newspaper and stake it down with some wire bent into a U and pushed into the ground.

Im sure there is some reason I shouldnt do this ..... I just havent found it yet.

Seems like it would be a good way to control weeds .... keep the ground damp .... wouldnt cost much .... easy to do ...... and would last a few years before breaking down and disappearing.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Most burlap I've seen was not tightly woven, and after the newspaper disintegrates, I think there would be weeds coming through, but can't say how soon that would happen.
A good weed block that I read posted on here by another memeber(can't recall who) is used carpet. If you contact a carpet installer and get some used carpet, cut it into squares, 4'-5' slit it to the center, cut a hole in the center for the tree, it makes a good weed block, free. Of course it's heavier to handle, but it's free, and does a great job. No need to stake it down. I have some on the ground 3 years and it has not rotted through yet. FREE.

Last edited by asmith : 07-19-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 PM

I use 10x100 role of heavy black plastic cut in 18" squares and cut an X in the middle to poke the plant through. Also cut 8" pieces of galvanize electric fence wire and bend into a U and use them as ground staples to hold the plastic down. In this pic I made tubes out of chicken wire and stakes cut out of scrap lumber. This hazel nut was planted in 06 along with a hundred others and some have nuts this year.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2009, 01:54 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
get some of old carpet

We've used old carpet, old newspaper, carboard and anything salvageable, jut weight it down with rocks or some such and be aware that sometimes mice will burrow underneath, make a nest and then end up girdling the tree.

Informational threads on growing food plots and improving habitat for whitetails

Dbltree's Corner - Food Plot Links

When I get where I'm going...don't cry for me down here

Dbltree Habitat Enhancement - Paul & Jesse Knox, Birmingham, Iowa

dbltree2000@yahoo.com jknox0623@gmail.com

Joshua 24:15
Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Alot of tree companies will wrap the tree's rootball in burlap because it will rot/decompose quickly and the roots will grow through the material.

IMO, these two characteristics make it a bad option for a weed barrier.