Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 07-06-2005, 10:16 PM

I am having my ground disced in the next week or so by a neighboring farmer.

I am planning on planting mid August and am thinking I will need something to rough up the ground at that time before planting and was thinking of making a homemade contraption to accomplish this.

Anyone made a homemade harrow, if so how did you go about it?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 11:48 PM

I'd look for a local farm auction since you have some time. I picked up 4 sections of harrow and the hitch bar for $10. That was less than the scrap steel price at the time. One section would be fine for pulling with an ATV or garden tractor.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:15 AM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

Since it will have already been disced seems like a basic heavy fence drag might work as well.I piece mealed one together with two pieces of 4ft 2inch pipe, with one bolted to each end of a 10 X 4 section of old chain linked fence.One of the pieces was already filled with concrete so I put that on the trailing end.If I need more weight, I throw a few tractor trailer tires on top of the fence.

I'm looking to make another one the same way, but with a rail road tie or two on the trailing end of the fence.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to YoungBuck

Nice thinking Blanc, I may try this at my place as well, I was looking for something that would do the job of a cultipacker to bury the seed. Would this suffice??
Old 07-07-2005, 08:16 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

The fence drag I have does bury the seed and works really well for small seeds. I've used it for soybeans and larger seeds as well and may leave the tops of some showing but they all grow.I make a couple of passes and it seems to flatten everything out and cover everything up. The fence holes going over the dirt, loosens it and then the trailing pipe/rail road tie as well as the weight of the tires then pushes the seed down and packs it in.

I've also seen a version where a 4x4 piece of plywood is put on top of the trailing 4ft of the fence and then loaded up with 6 or so concrete blocks to really give some weight to it.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info, I was out at the land cutting wood this afternoon and I came across an 8 foot railroad tie that I had never seen before, so that sounds like a good option.

Here is a pic of what I am dealing with, we cleared the area of some brush this spring, then mowed and sprayed 3 weeks ago. This stuff is fun!

Old 07-10-2005, 12:22 AM

A cultipacker is used to compress the soil. That being said, look to borrow one of those lawn rollers from a neighbor if you can. I have a cultipacker, but if I didnt, I bet one of those would work better then a drag. A lot of the smaller seeds dont like to be burried more then 1/4". For those its best to cultipack, then spread your seed, then culitpack again. Your drag probably works pretty good, just might be burring some seed deeper then others. Make sure to level the plot with a drag prior to spreading the seed as well, or you will have seed that gets burried to deep. Plant it up, and post some pics in about 25days or so.

Kenn