Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 PM
QDMA Member

Default John Deere 7000, 71, and 7200 planters

Looking at picking up a small row planter of 2 to 4 rows and having never used one before looking for input. Looking to plant corn, soybeans, chufa, milo, etc. Also No Till is really wanted. Everyone is pointing me to the JD 7000 or 71 flex units. What is the difference between these units, pros, cons, etc. Lets throw in the 7200 unit for arguement

Last edited by lassig : 05-18-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 PM

I use a four row wide 7000 planter. It has 38 inch row spacing. It works great for food plots. I have used it for five years with no problems. The planter can be switched between finger pickup corn meters, soybean cups and sorghum cups. I also use it for planting sweet corn in my garden. I paid $800 for the planter.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM
QDMA Member

No other opinions on these planters. I found a 4 row model 71 and a 4 row model 7000. Both are pull types, no till and require rear hydralics, which I currently don't have on my tractor. The tractor I have is a 2008 New Holland 2220 (34 horsepower) FWD. Is this tractor large enough to pull these, assuming I add the rear hydralics? Or should I continue looking for a 3pt hitch model?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:06 AM

I seriously doubt you have enough tractor unless you're working flat ground only. I've got a 65 horse & when I'm pulling hills with my 7000 4 row, it lugs it pretty good.

Vegetarian:Indian word for bad hunter
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
QDMA Member

Here is a Ford 2 row 3 pt corn planter on ebay which is basically the same as my John Deere planter. They arent pretty but they are basic, simple and is easy to see if anything is wrong with them. I dont have fertilizer buckets anymore as they have disintegrated over the years but the seed hoppers work fine and I just finished planting 4 acres with this small junker this month. I think if you look around you can find one of these for around 500-750. Easy to check out by putting some seed in the hoppers,get the planter off the ground and turn the packing wheels and hope you see corn coming down the pipes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-2-row-plant...3A2%7C294%3A50
Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassig View Post
Looking at picking up a small row planter of 2 to 4 rows and having never used one before looking for input. Looking to plant corn, soybeans, chufa, milo, etc. Also No Till is really wanted. Everyone is pointing me to the JD 7000 or 71 flex units. What is the difference between these units, pros, cons, etc. Lets throw in the 7200 unit for arguement

By the size of your tractor the 4 row may be a little much. YOu will likely need hyd. to raise and lower the unit.
The 7000's are nice planters, but many of them are pretty tired. I bought and re-build a 7000 6 row a few years ago. Paid $2700 for the planter and spent likely more than that on parts. I was a bunch of work, but now I have a nice machine. I think the 71 units are only for tilled ground, and some of the 7000's are no-till. Look for a "7000 Conservation"
which means no-till with heavy duty down pressure springs. I only pland corn and beans with mine - switch out the corn meters with radial bean meters...takes about 10 min.

As far as the 7200...I think it's similar to the 7000 with just a few upgrades - maby the closing wheel pressure setting mechanism and depth setting mechanism.

I've no tilled with mine but mostly used it in tilled ground. There are problems with the seed trench getting closed with my current set up so I'm looking into what they call "spaded closing wheels" to prevent this. I've only no tilled corn once (into and old clover field) and it did prettty well. However, I'm usually planting corn into worked ground because I had to incorporate the N.

Here's pics of the one I re-built:
http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=9254
Send me a PM and I'll give ya more details if needed.

As I was looking for planters, I noticed that the ones with fert. attachments were always more rusted out. That's why there are no fert. boxes on the planter.

If you end up with one of the Deere's, Shoup Mfg. is a good place for replacement parts.

With the old planters like a 7000 it's not uncommon to have to replace the bushings on the row units $5, the openers$40, the front coulters$25, gauge wheel arms $70, seed tube and guard $35 and possibly the corn or bean meter itself...about $170. If you are looking at a 4 row planter, multiply these figures X 4 rows.

Last edited by Great Big : 05-20-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: error
Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
QDMA Member

Default Let me try to clear this up

JD 7100 planters are 3 pt hitch mounted and TRANSMISSION driven, meaning one or two wheels on the ground drive a shaft wich drives the transmission (a grouping of sprockets, usually in the center of the planter, which are used to set the seeding rate or population).

JD 7000 planters are the same units, they are just on a pull type hitch. They will work on smaller tractors, provided they have a hyd outlet to raise and lower them. 7200's may also have dry (or liquid) fertilizer hoppers. Being on a longer frame gives them somewhere to mount.

JD 71 Planters are UNIT planters, meaning the rear wheel on the unit drives the seed hopper. They can be mounted or on a pull type frame (rare). You CAN get no-till attatchments that bolt to the frame (hitch) for these, but they are not as numerous or easy to find as 7000/7200 style.

JD 7200 are newer versions of the 7000 (as 7300's are of 7100's). The newer ones can be equipped with a vacuum metering system, which is the BOMB, but more trouble than your average plotter wants to fool with.

JD 7000 & 7100 units come in 2 types, Finger pickup/Soybean feed cup or Plate planters (like the 71's). Plate planters are simpler IMHO, and are the norm down South.

What makes the 2 row 7100 and 7000 planters you see for sale tricky, is that the drive wheel has to run down 1 middle (usually they put it in the center). This is where the transmission normally was located. This requires that they move the transmission to one end or the other. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it HAS to be done right.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 AM

Anyone know where I can pick up two no till coulters to mount on the front of my 7000?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:43 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Anyone know where I can pick up two no till coulters to mount on the front of my 7000?

Local JD dealer or Shoup Mfg.com. Good luck
Old 05-24-2009, 12:43 PM
QDMA Member

Thanks for the responses, I was at the farm the last couple of days finishing up planting my spring plots. Still on the fense if I going to do this or not. I really like to buy new to avoid down time and I know how it was used/cared for. That said I blow out a bearing on my new (last summer) tiller on Thursday afternoon. Thankfully my implement dealer was still open and had another unit in stock that he loaned me to finish up. I would of sucks big time to take vacation time and then not finish the job.