Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > Resources/FAQ (read only)

Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Moderator Sponsor Member

Default Planting Round Up Ready Soybeans and Corn, By foodplotdude

OUTDOOR ESSENTIALS

I have received a ton of pm's and emails over the last couple weeks with regards to the infamous rr corn/bean mix. So, I have put together a set of pictures with explanations and am posting here on the forum. I hope this is helpful for some of you that are venturing into this for the first time.

MINIMUM 300lbs triple 19 per acre but in most cases I use 400-425lbs per acre

For starters, it all begins with good quality seed. I cannot tell you how excited I am about Brad's(Eagle Seed) RR Forage Soybeans! I have been planting this mix with conventional soybeans for many years and ever since my planter gots it plates on Eagle Seed, it has thrown no other soybean since. The rr corn I use is from Dekalb and it is a BT Corn Borer variety with poncho coating. In many cases, insects and disease are far worse than deer browsing and I would not dare put seed in the ground here in my area without it. I also treat the entire mix with Latitude prior to planting. This gives the soybean the protection it needs and boosts the corns protection a bit too.

For this particular planting I am using a 110 day RR Corn and Eagle Seed RR Wildlife Managers Mix which has the vining rr soybean(whitetail thicket), Large Ladd, Big Fellow and a group 3 forage bean for filler. I am using a 3 row Yetter Flex 71 planter unit on 3 point

After years of playing with the population, I have found that the corn and bean mix does far better when cut 50/50 seed count. This will ensure proper pollination for the corn and in most cases each stalk will throw 2 ears and many with have 3. Not 100% sure why but it does. Cut the ratio down to 25% corn and you will get one ear per plant. I try to run about 35,000 seeds per acre under unprotected plots. If protected I cut down to 26-30k of seeds per acre. The extra seeds make up for deer browsing at its early stage.

For the size corn I am using for this project, I am using a B1-24 cell plate.

I am using the 20 tooth sprocket in the rear and a 22 up front. This gives me about 3-4 inch spacing. It can be tighter at times or further apart but it is pretty darn consistent.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Moderator Sponsor Member

This plot totals 3 acres. It is a 35 foot buffer strip around my bean field and a larger section at one end. I purposely waited until the adjoining beans created some pulling power to help offset the deer pressure initially. I just planted this today and will update with progress pictures. Plenty of moisture in the soil to get it out of the ground but a good rain on top would be awesome.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Moderator Sponsor Member

It has been 6 days since I started the rr corn/forage soybean project to share with you guys. Ground moisture was excellent at planting time, soil temperatures are excellent and 3/10's inch of rain on Tuesday night was perfect. I checked on the plot today and most has come out of the ground.

This is perhaps the most critical time for survival with this type of planting. For one, adequate moisture NOW will determine how healthy and strong the plants will be. Root development is happening right now and even though we had a light rain a couple nights ago, it needs much more over the next 2-4 weeks to ensure a good stand. Also, this is PRIME deer food and it is extremely vulnerable, especially the beans. This is why I recommend bumping up the plant popluation to offset this. It WILL happen on this plot but I want to absorb this pressure as best as possible

From Roundup application, cultivation and top dressing, I will continue to post updates on the progress of this plot. Whether it fails or succeeds
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Moderator Sponsor Member

6/17/2008 Update:

re: Corn/Bean Mix walk through

**** Got a decent shower on this plot last night

Here is the plot just 12 days into the project. As you can see, the corn and beans are doing very well. Pay close attention the plant spacing. If you remember, I upped the population(pre-plant) on the planter just a tad to make up for early browsing by the deer and non germination. As I walked through the plot today I only found a few soybeans that have been snipped off but more will certainly get it in the coming critical 2 weeks.

In the next update I will be side-dressing Urea and cultivating between the rows at the same time. I use a Covington 3 point unit with fertilizer attachment for this. I will post both pictures and video of that process. I want the corn plants to be at least 12-14 inches in height before cultivating. At that stage they are stronger and withstand the force of the dirt being thrown up against them as the cultivator/fertilizer is pulled between the rows. As you can see, there are not much grasses and weeds coming through and although I will do a roundup application later, it wont hardly be necessary after cultivation. There is a smart weed & carrot weed issue in this particular dirt and I am not ruling anything out with respect to a glyphosate application

top end of plot

Bottom end of plot(meets a clover buffer strip) ***Notice how the bottom end has taller plants. This is due to more moisture in the soil at planting time

Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Moderator Sponsor Member

6/22/2008

re: Corn/Bean Mix Walk Through

Small change of plans today. I was not going to do a top-dress Urea(46-0-0) application until next weekend but due to the thunderstorm chances tonight and tomorrow night, I decided to make a move and apply this afternoon. The chance for rain later on in the week just does not look promising at this point as it does right now. As I look at the radar now, I may have played my cards right because a good thunder-boomer with rain is moving in and fast. (I also hit another different corn/bean field with Urea about an hour ago).

note: Topdressing with Urea is iffy and should be planned right before a pretty guaranteed rain. If Urea sits on the surface of the ground for a couple days, the majority of it will dissipate into the air. Money down the drain. BUT, culitvating it in like I did today protects your urea investment. If you dont have a culitator, follow the weather pattern before applying.

Normally I wont cultivate until the plants are a little taller but given the situation, I did not want to miss this opportunity to get the urea down in the ground with rain approaching. I spread 300lbs of Urea with the ATV. I then came back and pulled the cultivator through the plot but at very slow speed. Going too fast at this short height can bury plants in a heartbeat. So I went at creep-speed. If I get this good rain tonight, the corn plants should shoot a foot or better by the weekend.

note the white urea around plants
Old 01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Moderator Sponsor Member

notice there is plenty of moisture in the soil. One of the downsides of cultivating is releasing that moisture and allowing it to dry down below. But with the rain patterns we are having right now, I am not concerned.

This plot is very ready for a good rain. The cultivation will suck the moisture in and trap it for a good long time!!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Moderator Sponsor Member

6/29/08

Due to me and the family leaving for a week vacation in Maine on Tuesday, I decided to go ahead and do a glyphosate spray application to the plot now rather than wait until I return. It is a good chance the plot may be a bit too tall to drive over comfortably in 10 days, at the rate it is growing and the amount of moisture that is due in the next couple days. In the last update, I cultivated between the rows and it did a wonderful job of cleaning up the junk in between the rows but there was still an issue around the plant bases. The corn and beans were small when I cultivated so I had to go pretty slow. This did not allow the cultivator to aggressively throw dirt around the plant bases for fear of knocking over plants. Now that I have sprayed glyphosate, Lets just say that after yesterday's application, those fertilizer and moisture robbing suckers wont be a problem from now on!

Over the last week I have gotten quite a bit of PM's on how important spraying really is with this corn/bean mix plot. Below is my answer and it is my personal opinion.

Spraying the plot: Some may not be concerned with eliminating grasses and weeds at all, or as thoroughly as some of us like to. And that is fine. Deer certainly do like bedding in tall grass within corn fields. However, I dont want them bedding in my corn(or at least, I wont encourage them to) and there are plenty of bedding areas throughout the farm. In addition, with the rising cost of fertilizer and the amounts that I use per plot, I control weeds to maximize the uptake of my desired plantings. For me, this is key! Although the Forage Soybeans provide plenty of browse from Mid July through fall, my BIG push with this plot is coming in late fall and winter. Corn/Bean mixes are excellent green forage crops but the biggest advantage for me is the standing food in winter. The Forage Beans, although geared for forage production, still throw some incredible bean pods. Ultimately, for here in the north, top this plot with a foot of snow and you will have the one-two punch for either holding deer and/or excellent hunting opportunities.

I chose my ATV spray rig for the job simply due to its maneuverability and odd parameter shape of the plot. There was no breeze at all and I got very good coverage. Running the ATV at 5 mph allows the chemical to mist and shoot to the ground and cover the plants nicely. I sprayed 1.5 quarts of Credit Extra(Gly)to the acre and I included 2 quarts of Tecomate Plant Exploder, 1.5 quarts of 16-24-16 foliar fertilizer and a half pint of Warrior insecticide with the mix.

There is a little deer browsing going on but not enough to concern me. I was thinking about protecting the plot with Plotsaver but at this point, I have backed off of that. The beautiful thing about the Eagle Seed Forage Beans is that notice in the picture below how the plant is continuing to throw new shoots despite being snipped off shortly after initial germination. These beans continue to impress me!

The plot could really use some rain and the radar looks promising for this afternoon. We did get small spurts earlier in the week but the storms broke up around us and we never got the heavy rains we really need in my area right now.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Moderator Sponsor Member

Links to the original threads which contain questions and answers

part #1: http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=16405

part #2: http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=16542

part #3: http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=16659

part #4: http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=16773

part #5: http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.ph...rn+bean+update