Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 10-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

Default Hey western guys

I'm looking for somebody that has grown Forage Kochia or know something about it.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

Anybody? I know it's kind of an unusual plant.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Forage Kochia?

smsmith,

That's kind of an interesting question. I've never heard of forage kochia but the plant we call kochia is a weed you might have heard of...it's what grows up and dies then becomes a tumble weed. We've got it all over SD and I suppose it has some food value the only good thing I can say about it is that we like weeds (Kochia) for bedding areas and pheasants love them. Nobody here would ever think of planting it though. Don't know how similar the forage variety is.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Banned

dahusker-thanks for the response. Yeah, I did find quite a bit of info on the kochia you describe. That stuff I don't want. The forage kochia is quite different, at least from the little info. I found it is. The stuff is supposed to grow well in sand, that is my main interest.

This is the stuff I'm looking for info. on.
http://kochiaseed.com/whatisit.html

Last edited by smsmith : 10-21-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM

I've never planted any. You have to draw a distinction between Forage Kochia, also known as Immigrant Kochia or Kochia Prostrata http://kochiaseed.com/index.html with a nasty weed called Kochia http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/pr...s/kochia.shtml

The main reason to plant it is to battle cheatgrass and create a fire barrier. Unless your rainfall is less than 13" or so annual, there is little reason to plant it as a food plot.
Since I do have a cheatgrass problem, I spoke to the local Ag extension agent about it and he recommended against it because it's pretty weedy itself and may displace desirable native species.
You can buy it at Great Basin Seed.
http://greatbasinseeds.com/cms-display/splash.html
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM
QDMA Member

smsmith, I grew up in the sandy Todd County area near Browerville and grew alfalfa with great success. I spent many of my childhood days trapping gophers for the neighboring dairy farmers and later farming for them. They always planted alfalfa in the spring with peas and oats as a cover crop. Chopped the peas and oats in June for the silo and had a fabulous stand of alfalfa for years to come. The deer gravitated towards those oats and peas and later alfalfa fields. I shot many of my first deer in the Eagle River bottom adjacent to lush alfalfa fields. I think I would do that. . . IMO. If it ain't broke. . .
I do not have any experience with this Kochia that you speak of. It sounds interesting. I have however seen the invasive kind and how nasty it can be.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godding View Post
smsmith, I grew up in the sandy Todd County area near Browerville and grew alfalfa with great success. I spent many of my childhood days trapping gophers for the neighboring dairy farmers and later farming for them. They always planted alfalfa in the spring with peas and oats as a cover crop. Chopped the peas and oats in June for the silo and had a fabulous stand of alfalfa for years to come. The deer gravitated towards those oats and peas and later alfalfa fields. I shot many of my first deer in the Eagle River bottom adjacent to lush alfalfa fields. I think I would do that. . . IMO. If it ain't broke. . .
I do not have any experience with this Kochia that you speak of. It sounds interesting. I have however seen the invasive kind and how nasty it can be.

Thanks....I originally posed this question back in 2008. At that time I was looking to try forage kochia on the sands of Juneau County, WI. My soil here in Todd county is leaps and bounds better than what I was working with there. Clover mixes will be my mainstay on this property.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM

i would leave anything resembling kocia, alone.

Study up on your natives in that area Stu... and I bet you might be able to find a more suitable replacement.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveCreek View Post
i would leave anything resembling kocia, alone.

Study up on your natives in that area Stu... and I bet you might be able to find a more suitable replacement.

Yep....again...I asked this back in 2008
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Sorry Stu, I now realize what you meant by "I aksed this in 08."

I took that as, you asked once before. My bad!