Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Native Habitat/Forest Management

Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Default What type of acorns do your deer prefer?

I am curious as to what type of acorns everyone's deer go crazy for, We have different varieties of white and red oaks, But i have noticed chinkapin oaks(Suppose to be the sweetest acorns of all oaks) are the most prefered Acorn on our place hands down. They bring the deer running for them. Second would have to be the white oaks.
http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=19437
Updated pictures for 2009 of the 2008 Fall planting Of Wr, oats, Durana
http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=24775
Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri whitetails View Post
I am curious as to what type of acorns everyone's deer go crazy for, We have different varieties of white and red oaks, But i have noticed chinkapin oaks(Suppose to be the sweetest acorns of all oaks) are the most prefered Acorn on our place hands down. They bring the deer running for them. Second would have to be the white oaks.

Never have given them the pepsi challenge, but they will readily feed on red oak over most other foods on my farm, I have 80 acres or so of red oak. The only thing that seems to compete with them in terms of preference is apples in my experience.

Nietzsche
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 PM

Bur Oak acorns the size of golf balls, and that is no exaggeration. You would have to see these monsters to believe it!!!

No other acorn even gets a quarter the size, and they are sweet white oak. There are nice sized Bur Oak, and then there is Magnus Bur Oak. They are hard to gather for seed, because deer can hear them drop.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 PM

Swamp Chestnut Oak. We don't have any Bur Oak down here (except at the Auburn University Campus). Swamp Chestnut is the largest and most prefered white oak. Most any other white oak is more prefered than red oaks here.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 PM
QDMA Member

Passthru,

I hunt Macon County and found just the opposite last year. The deer focused on white oak acorns first, then swamp chestnut. We had such a huge crop of these two trees, most red oak acorns rotted on the ground and are still laying around. No matter what, it was nice to know where they were feeding.

;o)
Old 10-01-2008, 12:57 AM

[quote=Missouri whitetails;171228]I am curious as to what type of acorns everyone's deer go crazy for,QUOTE]

In my case, the neighbors!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 AM

TN,

I suspect it varies some even in properties that are relatively close - perhaps even from year to year. My experience in Barbour/Bullock, and Coffee county has been that Swamp Chestnut is most prefered, White Oak proper is next, any other white oak (like post oak) is next, then the red oaks - generally with the larger ones more prefered than the smaller ones. Water oaks seem to have very little draw, but the properties I hunt have so many Water oaks a deer can eat them almost anywhere.

If you can believe it, on my property in Coffee county, I've planted a number of pear trees that have produced for several years and the deer have just started eating them well this year. I guess there weren't any other pears around and it took them a few years to "find them". I cut up pears and left them, but the deer still wouldn't touch them. The armadillas started eating them the first year they made. Does that mean armadillas are smarter than deer
Old 10-01-2008, 01:59 AM

The deer on my farm will feed on any acorn that is on the ground at the time. But if I had to pick the best one I would say white oak. I have planted several Sawtooth oaks and Red Oaks but none are old enough to produce acorns yet. I have a lot of pin oak and some other oak with a small acorn and some good White Oaks so I dont have as many for them to pick from as most of you do.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM

Whichever hits the ground first.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Just wondering if Swamp Chestnut and Swamp White oak are being referred to as the same oak? In our are the most highly prized oaks are the Swamp White Oak some oldtimers refer to them as Cow Oak. Puts on a quarter sized acorn and are really prized by the deer. Also regular white oak is highly preferred. I have pictures of loose corn on the ground under a regular white oak tree with deer nosing for acorns and totally ignoring the corn. The corn was never eaten and the acorns were eaten as fast as they fell.

In a recent walk in a bottomland patch of woods I noticed a good many redoak acorns already falling and a lot of overcup but have not seen any swamp white oak on the ground as of this date.