Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Default Best Handheld Seed spreader for Clover

I have decided that i will purchase a handheld seed spreader for planting my clover. I do have a bumper buddy ATV speader and a scott's lawn spreader but i'm not sure i will get adequate coverage with either of those. At $4 per pound, i would rather just put in the extra hour or two to do it by hand. Below are three i'm deciding from. Which one should i buy?

1) http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

2) http://www.ranchoutlet.com/Earthway-...-Spreader-.htm

3) http://www.ranchoutlet.com/Earthway-...d-Spreader.htm

4) Other
Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Lightbulb

I use the #2 choice by Earthway. Easy to set for fine seed and the shoulder strap makes it easy to carry and much less tiring. Have spread hundreds of lbs with mine and have no complaints.

I also have a Mr. Buddy and have found that if you just crack the opening lever and screw a sheet rock screw into the plastic to use as a stop. You can do a pretty darn good job on small seed. Set it fine and make numerous trips around the plot with the atv. Spread and pack at the same time
Old 08-16-2008, 04:49 PM

We use one of those Scott's hand held spreaders from Lowe's. You can keep the opening small. Yes, it takes a while, but like you said the seed is expensive, so we take a bit more time to make sure our coverage is even. Here's a pic of the clover spread by hand, and covered with a chain link drag. This plot is now 2 years old.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Sorry, First Time Trying to Post a Pic

Let's try again
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert lawson View Post
I use the #2 choice by Earthway. Easy to set for fine seed and the shoulder strap makes it easy to carry and much less tiring. Have spread hundreds of lbs with mine and have no complaints.

I also have a Mr. Buddy and have found that if you just crack the opening lever and screw a sheet rock screw into the plastic to use as a stop. You can do a pretty darn good job on small seed. Set it fine and make numerous trips around the plot with the atv. Spread and pack at the same time

I agree completely. I have not used mine as much as Robert, but it is very easy to set and to spread. I do think i would do some price checking on that though. I don't remember where I bought mine last year but it seems like a spent between $25-$30.

John
Old 08-16-2008, 09:39 PM

I use a Solo Spreader, holds approx. 25lbs. of material. I got it at Agri Supply for about $50.00.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:25 PM

Thumbs up

I also use the Earthway bag spreader in the 2nd link. I like it a lot. The only thing I'd change about it is maybe adding a little padding to the strap. If you fill the bag up to the top with seed, all that weight can rub pretty hard on the shoulder with that small strap as you walk along. I've rubbed blisters on my shoulder more than once. You might want to improvise something yourself if you get this model. As mentioned before, it works REALLY well with small seeds like clover, chicory, etc. And not a bad price either.

And as always, if you ever need to use it to broadcast fertilizer in a small area, make sure to wash it out well afterwards. Fertilizer destroys just about everything it comes in contact with.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:38 PM

I use choice #2 as well.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:06 PM

Default # 4 Wins

This is the best hand spreader I have ever used.http://www.solousa.com/store/flypage..._spreader.html
Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 PM

Thumbs up

Gotta say that the "Solo" is one sweet looking rig. Might just might be my next investment.