Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Default sunflowers and deer

Do Deer eat mature sunflowers or just the young plants, I planted a rackmaster summer mix and added some mix from Pheasants forever and now have a about 3 acres of about 50 % sunflowers that have headed out, Its looks like the buckwheat is finnally getting browsed but I dont think any thing else in the plot is getting touched,

Ron
Old 07-25-2008, 02:13 PM
QDMA Member

Default usually..

The deer only eat the sunflowers as they first germinate. Sounds like you have a good start for some AWP to be over seeded over the plot. I would also over seed the plot with some clover. That will help a lot! Once the sunflowers are mature you will have every black bird, crackle, blue jay, canadian jay, and morning dove in the tri-county area on your plot. I planted sunflowers once and all it did was provide a magnet for song birds and all they did was scare the deer. Remember birds follow migration routes. I literally had 1000 blackbirds in my food plot at one time. It sounded like a freight train when they were in the field, they always scared the deer!!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
QDMA Member

We don't have an overly high deer population, but the deer ate the sunflowers from germination to maturity. I think they really like the leaves (even mature ones) as I rarely have any leaves left come September...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 PM

Deer love the seeds also as it can be a great winter source for food if the birds leave any
Zone 5B
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 AM
QDMA Member

Deer will eat the entire sunflower, leaf, flower bud, flower, from germination to dried up flower left in the field in Dec.-Jan. BB
Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibron View Post
Do Deer eat mature sunflowers or just the young plants

ibron:

I know from sad experience that deer do their best to destroy my sunflowers (planted for doves) from the moment they emerge to maturity and beyond. They seem to have a particular taste for the seedheads just prior to ripening.

TB
Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Thanks Guys

The sunflowers are headed out but have not developed any seeds yet, but the bees are working them, I guess I will leave them and see if the deer start using them.

Ron