Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Default 0-20-20 Fertilizer

Where can I purchase 0-20-20 fertilizer? Liquid or solid - which is better?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 AM
QDMA Member

granular is better. I had to search and search for 0-20-20 but finally found it. I had to buy in bulk so I ended up getting 5 pallets(fifty 50lb bags per pallet) on my first order and I just ordered 10 pallets for fall and spring. Same with 19-19-19. I have already brought in several pallets of it for fall planting and ordered enough for spring as well.

Guys, if you think fertilizer has risen this year, wait till next year. I predict at least 15% more by fall and 30-35% higher in spring. If you can afford it, get your fertilizer NOW and stockpile for next year. Same with GLY.

I would suggest going to your local fertilizer elevator and see if they can bring it it. Or, they can mix it for you right there. hint: THEY HATE MIXING SMALL QUANTITIES, which is why I would rather bring it in bulk and already in bags. Still saves you money.

fpd

Want daily food plot tips and photos in your Facebook News Feed? LIKE our Facebook Page
Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 AM
QDMA Member

Hey Foodplotdude, don't want to hijack this thread but i have a question on fert. What do you think about using 0-10-30 for iron clay cow peas and ash.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:07 AM

Just got word from my fertilizer supply house I use commercially, he said most prices will jump 20% on June 30. I second foodplots idea of buying now if you can afford it.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
QDMA Member

NickT:

That would definitely suffice. As you can well guess, a soil sample will reveal the real deal. BUT, the 0-20-20 is prolly the most common, across the board legume fertilizer. You should be just fine IMO

Want daily food plot tips and photos in your Facebook News Feed? LIKE our Facebook Page
Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Default Save yourself money!

Don't buy 0-20-20. Buy your phosphates (0-46-0) and potash (0-0-62) separately. Takes twice the labor to put it down but your getting more for your money. Your paying them to mix it for you and your getting a whole lot less fertilizer. Think about it. Two bags of 0-20-20 has 20 pounds of Phosphates and 20 pounds of Potash. One bag of Phosphate has 23 pounds of Phosphates One bag of Potash has 31 pounds of Potash. Cost is about or a little less buying separately. Added bonus is being able to put down more accurate rates of each fertilizer.

Bohunter
Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 AM
QDMA Member

I follow Bohunter's recommendation - I buy bagged potash and triple superphosphate and apply them accordingly. Mixing two bags straight up gives you ~0-23-30. Mixing 1 bag of potash w/1.5 bags of trip. will give you ~0-28-25; so you can approximate a mix to your needs. However, it is pain to mix 50# bags w/5 gal buckets to save having to make two passes over the (clover & alfalfa) fields. (FPD did recommend that I find a used cement mixer...).

-fsh
Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 AM
QDMA Member

The local Southern States co-op will mix to order and rent us a spreader already loaded with a ton for not much money. (Fertilizer costs plenty but the cart rental is cheap, just to clarify) After spending years using bags and an over the shoulder spreader I will not go back unless it costs twice as much. Truth is it costs a bit over half doing it bulk like this as opposed to bags. Labor is basically 0. This service may not be available just everywhere but we did not realize that it was available near us for a number of years. Look around. It may be more available than you think. Good hunting. "D"
Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunter View Post
Don't buy 0-20-20. Buy your phosphates (0-46-0) and potash (0-0-62) separately. Takes twice the labor to put it down but your getting more for your money. Your paying them to mix it for you and your getting a whole lot less fertilizer. Think about it. Two bags of 0-20-20 has 20 pounds of Phosphates and 20 pounds of Potash. One bag of Phosphate has 23 pounds of Phosphates One bag of Potash has 31 pounds of Potash. Cost is about or a little less buying separately. Added bonus is being able to put down more accurate rates of each fertilizer.

Bohunter

could you guide me in where to purchase potash 0-0-62 and phosphate 0-46-0 I have been going crazey trying to find the 0-20-20? Also would you happen to know what fertilizer to use on Brassica,turnips,kale? for fall
thanks,
Gary Dove
Old 07-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Default where to purchase phosphate potash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshafly2 View Post
I follow Bohunter's recommendation - I buy bagged potash and triple superphosphate and apply them accordingly. Mixing two bags straight up gives you ~0-23-30. Mixing 1 bag of potash w/1.5 bags of trip. will give you ~0-28-25; so you can approximate a mix to your needs. However, it is pain to mix 50# bags w/5 gal buckets to save having to make two passes over the (clover & alfalfa) fields. (FPD did recommend that I find a used cement mixer...).

-fsh

Great suggestion.Where did you purchase the ingredients? I'm south of Baltimore
Rainmaker hunt club
Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
QDMA Member

Bohunter,

I have made my own mixes for my clover exactly how you stated. I usually have to have a farmer help me with the math, if you have a 0-46-0 in a 50 pound bag and you say and everybody else does also, that a 50 pounds of 0-46-0 has 23 pounds of phosphates what makes up the 27 extra pounds in the bag?

So if I wanted to add 92 pounds of phosphates to a field I would really have to add 4 bags of 0-46-0?

I can never figure out the units of the element compared to the actual pounds. It's confusing, I always ask people to double check my calculations, I just don't get it.

Last edited by bigeight : 07-01-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:34 PM

I don't know if your states have done this yet or are planning on it, but Florida as of today has a Florida Urban Turf Rule. This law limits a Homeowner or anyone without a L & O license to buy fertilizers that provide no more than 1lb. of Nitrogen per 1000sqft. a year and of that pound 70% must be slow release (not nitrate or sulfate). Phosphates are not to exceed .25 lb per 1000sqft. an application and .5 lb. per year, except for the first year and new site you can apply up to 1lb. per year.

Also in my area fertilizer prices have dropped alot since last fall, mainly do Urea and phosphate costs falling. Potash prices are still way up and are forcasted to stay up. As previosly mentioned it will be more cost effective for you to buy 0-0-64, 0-20-0, 46-0-0 and apply whats needed than a blend. My bussiness requires me to purchase upto 10 tons of fertilizer a month so I watch this very carefully and shop around.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:42 PM
QDMA Member

I buy my potash and super triple phosphate from Southern States in Charlotte Hall (St Mary's Co).

-fsh
Old 07-01-2009, 06:16 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodplotdude View Post
Guys, if you think fertilizer has risen this year, wait till next year. I predict at least 15% more by fall and 30-35% higher in spring. If you can afford it, get your fertilizer NOW and stockpile for next year. Same with GLY.

I tried to get some 0-0-60 last weekend, $48 a 50lb bag

Along with fertilizer will be gas and other basic matrials and comotities.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
QDMA Member

That's double what I paid last fall Awwww crap!