Go Back   QDMA Forums > Habitat Management > Food Plots for Whitetails

Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 AM
QDMA Member

Default Lawn Roller vs. Cultipacker

anyone ever use a large lawn style drum roller that you can fill with water instead of using a cultipacker? My brother in law has a lawn roller and I was going to use that instead of buying a cultipacker. I also have a buddy that just drives over his clover plots with his truck and that seems to work. I figure if he can do it with tires the lawn roller filled with water should work ok, thoughts?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
QDMA Member

This is talking from what I have heard and read rather than experience, but from what I understand the biggest problem with lawn rollers vs cultipackers is that large amounts of soil can build up in front of the roller when working with loose soil, which can make pulling the roller and getting a smooth seed bed a little more difficult. Lawn rollers are also not very effecient at breaking up dirt clods. Also, a cultipacker has either ridges or some type of small spikes to help press the seed into the soil better, making for better seed to soil contact than a lawn roller. However, in my opinion if you don't have access to a cultipacker, using a lawn roller would probably be your next best option.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
QDMA Life Member

Anything that will press the soil will work. the cultpacker is the equipment of choise because no need to fill with water and ease of transport.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:48 AM
QDMA Member

The roller will work well, but make sure the soil is dry. Otherwise the dirt sticks to it and really makes a mess.
Lynn

This year, the year 1935, will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.
Adolf Hitler

MY VOTE IS NOT FOR SALE!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:09 PM

I've been using a hand made roller - (old hot water tank) pulled behind my ATV - works great. The guys with farm tractors use cultipackers, most are on the heavy side for an ATV.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
QDMA Member

I was looking at the homemade cultipacker post and I think I'm going to build my own. Would be easier to transport and do a better job. These plots are hard work and I hate to shortcut.

I used the roller last year and the clover came in good. Put i think a lot of it got buried because the soil was really sandy and would push a wave in front of the roller. think I might have had too much water in it.

it was my first plot and I look a 9 point in it so something worked

thanks guy
Old 03-20-2008, 04:28 PM

One of the biggest advantages of a cultipacker over a smooth roller is how the ground is conditioned. A cultipacker is built up of multiple packer wheels that leave grooves or dimples in the soil. These grooves or dimples not only provide excellent seed-to-soil contact but they also provide locations where moisture is retained for longer periods of time. Seed-to-soil contact in a moisture rich environment is key to fast dependable germination. This is because a seed has to absorb a certain percentage of moisture before it will germinate. A smooth roller leaves a uniform surface that does provide good seed-to-soil contact but it also dries out faster.

As mentioned above, grooved ground tends to have less erosion problems than a smooth uniform surface.

A cultipacker is also designed to provide a certain pressure on the soil. There is a fine line between firming the soil and compacting the soil.

Matt
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Bottom line......use what ya got. I am fixin' ta make my own from a piece of black drain pipe, 'cause i am tired of using my tires on my atv. Will post pics when done. If all ya got is a roller, use it. It is better than nawthin'.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 AM
QDMA Member

Now keep in mind that Im not mechanically inclined but....If one was to have an old lawn roller given to them, could you then take a section of the plastic culvert pipe and put it around that roller and attach it with bolts/screws somehow to get the ridges?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:38 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabor View Post
Now keep in mind that Im not mechanically inclined but....If one was to have an old lawn roller given to them, could you then take a section of the plastic culvert pipe and put it around that roller and attach it with bolts/screws somehow to get the ridges?

Why not just take chain and wrap it around (spirally from one end to the other) and bolt it on. This will make all the dimples you want.