Go Back   QDMA Forums > General QDM > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Default John Deere 790

Hey yall, been gettin real serious about purchasing a new tractor. Ive looked at and have gotten behind the wheel of allot of different colors and have really takin a likeing to the Deere 790. (Actually in 08 its the 3005) Ive read reviews on the net and have read some good things but still would like to here from some 790 owners out there. Ive heard the hydraulics are a little on the weak side, but ok overall. Ive priced an 08 with a loader for $14,600. Any one ever used or own one of these? Just want to make sure and have all my research done before the purchase and would like to here more pros and cons. Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
QDMA Member

I don't have a 790, but do have an older 870 (28 hp). If you don't get any feedback specific to the 790, PM me and I'll give you my thoughts. These models are pretty close in size and specifications.

Andy
Old 02-28-2008, 04:51 AM

We had a 790 and did quite a lot of work with it. Would advise 4wd and ag tires. Nice little tractor. We traded up to 990 this yr. (40hp)--Can't wait to get her on the fields ---also new heavy duty JD tiller.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM

My dad and I went in halfers on a 790 in 2003. Cost $13,900 back then (with loader) so it sounds like you're getting a good deal. I am very, very pleased with this tractor. Much, much nicer than the 9N it replaced (I realize it's 61 years newer). Wish I could get the front tires wider, but it's very stable on the hills with the rears in their widest setting. I think the seatbelt is cheezy. Other than that I find it perfect for my uses. Any specific questions feel free to ask.
Attached Images

Last edited by G-Vac : 02-28-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. G-vac what kinds of uses have you put the loader through and hows it held up? Have you guys had any trouble with the parking brake. Ive read reviews that say the teeth on the thing arent engineered well and they wear quickly rendereing it useless. Any warranty work have to be done? Again guys thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 AM

I just bought the 3005 and am very impressed with its performance!! I only have about 20 hours on it, but I have popped up about 50 stumps, mowed about 20 acres, cleaned up alot of trees and brush from the ice storms, and cleared a circle driveway through some timber with it. I will start cutting and dragging some walnut logs with it tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it turns out. The only thing I don't like about it so far is the dang seatbelt. I bought it with a front end loader, 5 ft. rotary cutter, box blade, and a 18 ft. trailer w/brakes. We paid right at $20,000 for the package.
www.myspace.com/taterhunts
www.mid-westadventures.com
Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 AM

I bought a 790 in 1999. Little different configuation than today because it had a 30hp engine. It does 99% of what I would like it to do. There have been times I wish I had a little more hp when I'm breaking a new field but other than that its met requirements. I didn't require any warranty work nor any repair since then. I think I'm around 600 hours so it gets used but not overworked.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhunts View Post
I just bought the 3005 and am very impressed with its performance!! I only have about 20 hours on it, but I have popped up about 50 stumps, mowed about 20 acres, cleaned up alot of trees and brush from the ice storms, and cleared a circle driveway through some timber with it. I will start cutting and dragging some walnut logs with it tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it turns out. The only thing I don't like about it so far is the dang seatbelt. I bought it with a front end loader, 5 ft. rotary cutter, box blade, and a 18 ft. trailer w/brakes. We paid right at $20,000 for the package.

Perfect. This is the kind of use I will be putting mine through. I would like to know how well it handles a good heavy wet log especially on challenging ground.(wet/frozen,steep, or snow covered-especially given the weight of the tractor-a concern of mine) Can you explain the seatbelt thing? Ive heard that before also. Is it designed poorly? Thanks for the reply
Old 02-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop-time View Post
Thanks for the replys guys. G-vac what kinds of uses have you put the loader through and hows it held up? Have you guys had any trouble with the parking brake. Ive read reviews that say the teeth on the thing arent engineered well and they wear quickly rendereing it useless. Any warranty work have to be done? Again guys thanks for your feedback.

Drop-time,

I've used the loader to spread 40 tons of gravel I had dropped off to repair the driveway. Also used it load 20 tons of lime into a rented 4 ton spreader. I've used it to work out tree stumps from a field I cleared, and of course general use such as hauling bags of fertilizer, rocks, firewood, etc. I haven't had any trouble with the parking brake, or anything else. No repairs. The seatbelt is poorly designed in that it always loosens up on you. As I said earlier I'm very happy with it. It's a lot of tractor for the money!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Perfect. This is the kind of use I will be putting mine through. I would like to know how well it handles a good heavy wet log especially on challenging ground.(wet/frozen,steep, or snow covered-especially given the weight of the tractor-a concern of mine) Can you explain the seatbelt thing? Ive heard that before also. Is it designed poorly? Thanks for the reply

I will start dragging out my walnut logs tomorrow morning, I will give you an update on how it performs. I'll have approximately 50 logs, ranging from 8-14 feet in length. I have a few 30 foot trees, I'm gonna try to pull out whole. I have a rocky hill that's about 150 yards long that I will have to drag them up. It's also suppose to snow and sleet, so it will be interesting!! The seatbelt just loosens up to easily and it's hard to adjust. Catch ya later!!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 PM

I just walked in the door from a hard day of logging. We ended up having 70 walnut logs. The tractor was awesome!! My dad cut the trees and did all the trimming while I hooked up to the tree and pulled it out whole. Once we got all of them out, we cut them up into 8-10 ft. logs. Most of the logs were 10-16 inches in diameter and 25-30 ft. long. Some of the larger 17+ inch trees, we would cut in half before dragging them out. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had to drag them up a fairly steep, rocky hill, and it did just fine. My dad and I both were very impressed!! It has done everything I have asked it to do. I probably do more with it than what it was designed to do. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 AM

Tata....get some action photos of that bad boy and post'em up.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks a bunch Tator. Looking foward to purchasing mine. I will be pulling up logs, grading my 1/2 mile lane, food plottin, Mowin, all kinds of work. One thing I really like about this model of tractor is its a REAL tractor. It doesnt have all the plastic and bells and whistles of similar models. You can look at the thing and tell it will stand the test of time. See Ya-Jim
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Hey, here's some pics of the John Deere 3005 in action. Hopefully, they turn out ok, I had to take them myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Deere 055.JPG (260.7 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg John Deere 046.JPG (48.2 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg John Deere 050.JPG (239.0 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg John Deere 051.JPG (49.6 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg John Deere 053.JPG (235.7 KB, 449 views)
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Good pics. That looks like a good load for a 27 HP tractor! Glad to here it done well. Thanks for sharing the pictures..oh and by the way I checked out your webpage. Pretty cool job ya got there.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
QDMA Member

The 790 is a good unit. My tallest tale for that one is I used a 15+ yr old 790 to plant 5 acres with a 7 foot Truax No Till drill. Quite a load for it considering it was all on a hill. Up hill was no big deal. It was turning and going downhill getting turned around at the end of a row that got kind of spooky. Drill out weighs the tractor by a good bit. Burned 2 tanks of fuel but it did the job!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhunts View Post
Hey, here's some pics of the John Deere 3005 in action. Hopefully, they turn out ok, I had to take them myself.

Looking good in the wife beater!!

Check us out at www.thecountrylodge.com

Providing affordable hunts and lodging in Gallatin and White Counties in Southern Illinois!!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuffy View Post

Ol Tata wuz show'n off the guns!!!!!!!! That is a nice rig and some great looking deer habitat to boot. Are you building something with those logs or are you sale'n it????
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Good pics. That looks like a good load for a 27 HP tractor! Glad to here it done well. Thanks for sharing the pictures..oh and by the way I checked out your webpage. Pretty cool job ya got there.

Thanks!! Be sure to check out my MySpace page also, I have several pics and video demo reels on there also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuffy View Post

Hell, it was 77 degrees here!! I had to post some pics for the ladies on the QDMA forum It's crazy, we'll be gettin snow and ice tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pybowhunter68 View Post
Ol Tata wuz show'n off the guns!!!!!!!! That is a nice rig and some great looking deer habitat to boot. Are you building something with those logs or are you sale'n it????

Did ya see the treestand in the white oak in the first pic?!! I actually have some walnut lumber I harvested about 1 1/2 years ago that I am currently running through a planer for my edit suite desk, a bar, a vanity, and a pedestal for my KS buck that I'm building. Our walnut buyer will only buy from 10" and bigger, anything smaller and I keep it for myself. I actually kept about 10 logs that I will cut into lumber and run through a planer, then I will sell it.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 AM

I want to do the same thing with some of my poplar.