Go Back   QDMA Forums > Trading Post > Looking for Land to Lease

Old 11-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Default PA Game Lands

Hey Guys...I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with Stage Game lands 239 and 289 in Bradford county PA? If so, are there a lot of hunters? Many deer? Are there many deer in the area?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
QDMA Member

I guess the guy who used to let you hunt on Saco Rd isnt allowing you any longer? I see that the piece is still for sale.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:16 AM

Hey Paul:

He still lets us hunt during archery season...he has other hunters during rifle.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:38 AM
QDMA Member

Go on the website www.huntingpa.com. They should be able to help you.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it" Stephen Wright
Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjack6 View Post
Hey Paul:

He still lets us hunt during archery season...he has other hunters during rifle.

How did they do up there this year? We had some nice ones running around but my brother and I were skunked. We both passed a few small bucks and we decided not to take any does this year. The weather was pretty crappy for the first 2 days and the kill in the area was down I think. They also had the guys from the gas leasing company running around the area doing cutting and laying cable for some seismic testing. They also had a helicopter flying overhead for most of the 2 weeks of the season which I think also disrupted the normal flow. Does he still have that property for sale?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:35 PM
QDMA Member

Smile Game lands

Hey kevjack6

I don't hunt the state gamelands you mentioned but I hunt other gamelands in Bradford county.The deer population in these areas are way down compared to what they used to be.But I also believe they needed to be taken down. You can find deer you just have to hunt for them now days, that means get out of your truck and walk back in aways.The only ones that are left are the smart ones .We hunt them about 4 months out of the year now and they know when to leave an area.I also hunt Maine every year for the last 17 years if Pa. hunters wanted to see what its like to hunt a whole week without seeing a deer
they ought to head up your way and hunt.

Drew
Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks Drew for the info...many hunters in Bradford county share your sentiment of there not being any more deer!

Paul, we didn't have any luck this year...that property relies heavily on there being some apples and the one green field...well, you know the story with the apple crop this year and 1 week before we arrived, he pastured the green field! Literally, no deer on the property and that's coming from someone that hunts in Northern New England where we know what it's like to not have any deer!!

I'm not sure how his rifle hunters did...but as far as I know, the land is still for sale.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM

Thumbs up

Kevjack,

Not sure how far you are from Game Lands 12 when you are hunting PA. I have hunted this game lands for a few years and have had good luck in the area of the boy scout camp. Always see deer but you have to get back in. This year I saw very few hunters in the area within the first two days but the weather was not the best. If you have access to a map of game lands 12 take a look at it.