Go Back   QDMA Forums > Deer Biology > The Rut

Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM
QDMA Member

Default Virginia rut

I saw a buck mount a doe in Fincastle on Sunday afternoon. Bucks walking around like they're lovestruck but still seeing does and fawns and big doe groups together.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 AM

I've seen young bucks chasing does for about 2 weeks up here in NOVA. Last Monday I shot a nice little 8 with the bow chasing a solo doe and on Thursday I finally saw two big boys trailing a group. over the last 4 or 5 days though the does have slowly disappeared and I finally have several big bucks on camera just before and after daylight. good luck out there!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM
QDMA Member

I saw some does being chased on Saturday but never saw the buck, only heard him...he wouldn't come out of the thicket. That afternoon, seen 4 young bucks including a nice 2 year old 8pt out cruising.

On the 15th down at the farm, I saw 8 different bucks in a day but again, all but one were very young.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM
QDMA Member

I saw chasing Saturday by a mature deer but I could not get a shot. I also saw another mature buck chasing Saturday night in my backyard and another with a doe Monday morning. I'd say we are at the peak right now based on what I have seen and heard from others.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM
QDMA Member

I wouldn't know because I can't get off work However from what the neighbors are telling me they are chasing heavily right now.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 PM
QDMA Member

I hope to sit the afternoon tomorrow. I saw the buck just aimlessly wondering out in a field near my place. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 AM

same boat in that I'm hoping to go out over the next few days. I was supposed to hunt this afternoon but my sister decided to go into labor-clearly she didnt get the memo. I saw a 6 walking around broad daylight on my way to the hospital. I'm just hoping the moon doesn't hamper things here in the next few days
Old 11-22-2012, 03:02 PM
QDMA Member

Yeah I haven't figured out the rut this year, been really weird. Still have never seen that crazy, balls to the walls stuff that we see every year usually. I'm afraid it's going to be like last year where the 2nd rut is smoking. Last December 8th through 12th was hot and heavy at our place.

It just appears the big boys are keeping to the thick stuff still and haven't let their guard down like they do during the peak of the rut.

Nestled at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Locust Dale Hunts is THE premier bow hunting destination for serious bowhunters! .

http://www.locustdalehunts.com
Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM
QDMA Member

The rut here seems to have been pretty classic with distinct phases. We saw small bucks cruising the week before Halloween. This was followed by some younger deer chasing and mature deer cruising. I saw mature deer chasing starting this past Saturday and saw or heard of mature deer chasing or tending does every day since Saturday. All the activity was capped off yesterday morning when I was lucky enough to kill my best buck to date behind my house. He came in my food plot following a hot doe right at daylight. He was just slowly following her while she browsed across the plot. I would suspect it will wind down soon around here but it sure has been pretty good the last five days.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 AM

More of the same for me the last two days. lots of does, Wed evening I saw a young 6 following a group of does in some heavy brush. Yesterday morning which I thought would have been awesome, was really slow. Only a few does browsing and then around 11 am as I was about to get down I saw a nice 8 come out of the woods for a few minutes then went right back into the brush. I waited another 45 minutes hoping he was being followed by his big bro but no luck.

I'm going to switch up the plan tomorrow and do an all day sit in the thick stuff with the bow since they don't seem to be running around out my way. I dont have the luxury of a huge lot like you guys have!