20-29 22 11.89%
30-39 50 27.03%
40-49 62 33.51%
50+ 49 26.49%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1959 View Post
Like I mentioned before I am 53 and have been through so much I thank God everyday for allowing me the previlige of being here.

I started hunting or at least going to the woods when I was 4. Our group was made up of mostly older guys. By old I am talkin mid 50s. As the years passed they got older and a few started to pass away. Today the only one left of the older generation is my uncle he is 82. We buried 17 of them. Each funeral was a celebration of life.

It was our tradition on the last day of the season for all of us to line up and shoot one shot into the air. To bid farewell to the season. At each of the old guys funerals. We shot one shot with his rifle to say goodbye.

Time has passed but they live within each of us. Now we tell our kids the stories that they told us and many of our own. I share some of their stories of hunts of their past. Each time I am alone in the woods on stand or slipping a feel them with me. I feel honored to be able to pass on what they taught me.

Thanks for this thread it serves as a reminder of our mortality. By the way dont be afraid to die. Be afraid to die and not being ready to do so.

awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
I'll be 38 come June 26th... I think. I'll have to ask my wife to make sure tho, she keeps tabs on this much better than me. As long as I remember her age and B-day I'm golden.

that's funny. i have to ask my wife, my name, age, ss#, what clothes to wear, just about anything of consequences pretty sad

Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 PM
QDMA Sponsor Member. Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1959 View Post
Like I mentioned before I am 53 and have been through so much I thank God everyday for allowing me the privilege of being here.

Thanks for this thread it serves as a reminder of our mortality. By the way don't be afraid to die. Be afraid to die and not being ready to do so.

Ditto. I was ready, but I wasn't ready in the context of things undone. The old "life flashes before your eyes" was opposite for me. It was things not yet done that flashed through in what seemed like 10 sec, but I'm told it was more like 5 min. The past has no importance whatsoever, its what happens today and tomorrow that is at risk. Don't risk it, do it and appreciate every day and everyone.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
63 great years so far. It seems like just a few years ago I was thirty and thinking 63 was a zillion years away. So far I am fortunate. Can run four tankfuls of gas a day on my 372 xp and not hurt too bad until the end of the day. Hunting has never been this good but it sure was fun and enjoyable then anyways. Normal in our deer camps in Maine was one standing shot a week per hunter hunting dawn to dark all week. Some of us luckier hunters had two or three chances a week but that was tops.

It sure is a different game today!

Chainsaw so you reemember when seeing a fresh track got your heart pumping. Seeing a deer was a bonus. Seeing a deer with a rack was kinda like winning the lottery and getting a kiss from the pretiest girl in town all rolled up into one.

Yeah the kids nowadays are kinda spoiled. The age of instant gratification has made it tough to teach our youngsters that hunting is 99% everything else and 1% shooting sometin.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banc123 View Post
Ditto. I was ready, but I wasn't ready in the context of things undone. The old "life flashes before your eyes" was opposite for me. It was things not yet done that flashed through in what seemed like 10 sec, but I'm told it was more like 5 min. The past has no importance whatsoever, its what happens today and tomorrow that is at risk. Don't risk it, do it and appreciate every day and everyone.

Amen banc. We are both much better off knowing that life is but a breath away. Simple as that. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson n' camo View Post
I figured you were older than that for some reason like 40-50ish.........32 here.

Haha, sorry I'm not living up to expectations.

The way i figure it by the time I have kids old enough to hunt, all the trees i've been growing and planting will hopefully be dropping fruit/acorns. Hard for the wife to say no when I use our future kids as justification.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
QDMA Member

Default This stupid smile!

I'm 63 years old, retired from a job I loved 4 years ago, Refuge Manager on a 22,000 acre National Wildlife Refuge. Married to the same wonderful woman for almost 42 years. We bought a 160 acre farm in Kansas so I could continue to do the things I love, work for the critters, and hunt and fish on my own place. Still love my life and rest assured that when they do plant me in the ground they will have a tough time getting the stupid smile off my face!!! Take care!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrpb View Post
Hard for the wife to say no when I use our future kids as justification.

I'll remember that one.

-Matt
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 AM
QDMA Sponsor Member

29 for a little while longer.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 AM
QDMA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooln View Post
In 1957 Chey made a classic. Then came me.

The true Classic was made by Chevy in 1955 and then came me. haha
I will turn 57 in November. I'm still at it harder than I ever have been. The body just doesnt care for the desire that my brain has. Oaks and pines that I'm planting now are for the generations to come. All my orchards are well established and produce many bushels per year. Latest count on fruit trees is about 130 in 6 differrent areas on the property. My wife is afraid that someday I'm going to die on the land, my response is "what better place".

http://www.covertscoutingcameras.com/

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59307
(Trapper's Camp, The good, bad and the ugly thread.)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 AM
QDMA Member

Coming up on 38 this fall. Made the leap and bought 88 ac of my own this past winter; never mind that it is 465 miles from my door step. I grew up on a dairy and crop farm, and am enjoying the chance to "play in the dirt" again. When I had to do that as a teenager on the farm, it wasn't nearly as fun, for some reason.

I haven't posted much here, but this place has been a wealth of information that's helping me get started on what I think is the right foot. I still love a long day of still hunting whitetails in the vast publicly-owned mountains of north central PA, but being able to play a bigger role in the life of the critters I pursue (well, mostly just watch ) on my own property is awesome, not to mention the improved quality of the hunting time I have with my kids.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM
QDMA Member

I'll be 42 for a few more weeks. I didn't grow up hunting in a club like some of you, but cut my teeth following in Dad's foot steps and tagging along with him and the occasional uncle. I've been mostly a solo hunter since getting my driver's license. Looking forward to my son tagging along with me (he already does some.)

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyED View Post
I turned 33 in Feb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL2MUCH View Post
I'll be 25 next month.

Gross.

Youngsters

Just turned 42
Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrpb View Post
Haha, sorry I'm not living up to expectations.

The way i figure it by the time I have kids old enough to hunt, all the trees i've been growing and planting will hopefully be dropping fruit/acorns. Hard for the wife to say no when I use our future kids as justification.

I think the same about my two boys.....kind of. Everytime I'm out working I think that by the time they get old enough to help me then I'll have all the wood cut and trees planted. Maybe I need to slow down a little.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson n' camo View Post
I think the same about my two boys.....kind of. Everytime I'm out working I think that by the time they get old enough to help me then I'll have all the wood cut and trees planted. Maybe I need to slow down a little.

By the time they're old enough to help me I plan on having more than enough apple and pear trees producing to keep them busy playing/working in the orchard picking fruit.

I don't think there are many of us on here that could slow down even if we wanted too, I think we've all got the same addiction.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM
QDMA Member

51 and just reaching my prime.
I resent that the last catagory is 50+. WTH, is that the end? LOL
My grandpa who just passed away a month ago always said, "If they ain't talking about you, then you ain't doing nothing", "if they quit talking about you, then you better start doing something" -ksbooner's late Gpa.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDMAMAN View Post
51 and just reaching my prime.
I resent that the last catagory is 50+. WTH, is that the end? LOL

Sorry, I'm only 32.......50-60 seems old to me. Kind of like when you were 16 thinking about 30 I guess. Probably should of had one more category for the geriatrics crowd.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 PM
QDMA Member

Hoping to reach 53 this year before the end of the hunting season.... does the candle burn faster when you burn it from both ends..... or just brighter ??? Dont answer if it's faster...Its gotta keep burning a little longer now... I got 2 grand babies that I want to call in a tom turkey for, a deer or two to gut and a few walleyes that will need to be netted...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM

WOAH am I the youngest guy on here? I am 21, wont be 22 till next October! O well I love learning from you all!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter10 View Post
WOAH am I the youngest guy on here? I am 21, wont be 22 till next October! O well I love learning from you all!

I'm right below you. Nobody this age seems to have the passion that these fellas do and I love it!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 AM

I have been told that I have the maturity level of a 10 year old boy. Well I resent that erroneous statement. Its much closer to 12.